Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Discussion] That Damn MacGuffin
BonesTheRabbit Offline

Threads: 20
Lightbulb  [Discussion] That Damn MacGuffin

Hello ladies and gentlemen!

Lately I've been pondering about how I want to structure the plot of my custom story, and early on I realized that I was sorely lacking a reasonable MacGuffin or introductory quest. As in stands, I have difficulty promoting a sense of "Go through this scary place and do this thing here so you can get to the end" at the start of the story.

In Amnesia, you begin by following a trail of fluid on the ground until a mysterious note tells you of your final goal. In Justine, you're almost immediately greeted by the recorded voice of the story's namesake, explaining that 'they can all be saved' and that you're expected to go through psychological trials.

Unfortunately, neither of these methods make sense for my current plot. The letter to the self method feels far too reminiscent of Amnesia, and I honestly want to avoid a copypasta storyline in that sense. A secondary character speaking to the protagonist early on is difficult, as well. You're not supposed to know who the BBEG is or what he or she is up to until later on, so I can't take that route without doing the whole James Bond cliche of "Let me explain my entire plan to you, and then leave you alive to ruin me~!"

I think it's safe to assume that this is a relatively common muse for many creators, so this thread is meant for folks to brainstorm ideas for MacGuffins for various stories. I want to clarify that I'm not asking anyone to write story aspects specifically for me, and that's part of why I'm leaving the details of my own plot somewhat ambiguous.

So let's hear it then! What kind of initial plot devices have you experienced or used, which drive the protagonist to the ends of the Earth (or wherever else he or she may be) to accomplish a goal? What did you like, what didn't you like? How necessary is a driving force, and how driven should the protagonist be in your mind?
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2012, 05:11 PM by BonesTheRabbit.)
02-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2
RE: [Discussion] That Damn MacGuffin

@"What kind of initial plot devices have you experienced or used..."
In my experience, I have found that an opening cinematic of sorts fares very well against all other ways to open a story. This could be a flashback, some fancy event, and really anything you could imagine. The first impression is what sells things nowadays.

Insanity. Static.
02-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Find
Miss Rigi Offline

Threads: 3

Well, a fun idea is to leave hints of a legend that mirror the guiding force of the story and make sure the player realizes this. Another is to send the player searching for something. As long as it makes them move, it's often fine.

Vos rapio meus spiritus absentis.
Voice Actress
02-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Find
BonesTheRabbit Offline

Quote: @"What kind of initial plot devices have you experienced or used..."

In my experience, I have found that an opening cinematic of sorts fares
very well against all other ways to open a story. This could be a
flashback, some fancy event, and really anything you could imagine. The
first impression is what sells things nowadays.

I'm actually using an introductory cinematic for my own story. Though it's relatively obscure, for the sake of "What the hell is going on?" factor. It's actively meant to leave the protagonist somewhat confused. It makes it only a partial MacGuffin, in that sense. Though I suppose most introductions are that way, no? Daniel's Cinematic doesn't explain much, outside of an obscure reference to the shadow, beating the BBEG and and naming the protagonist.

Quote: Well, a fun idea is to leave hints of a legend that mirror the guiding
force of the story and make sure the player realizes this.

I recall a custom story which did this extensively. Was pretty interesting, but I can't remember the name. It was just a random Let's Play video I watched, that caught my eye. Some sort of archeology temple dealy.

Quote: Another is to send the player searching for something. As long as it makes them move, it's often fine.

This is currently what I'm considering. Very good option, in my eyes.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2012, 06:01 PM by BonesTheRabbit.)
02-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(02-11-2012, 06:00 PM)BonesTheRabbit Wrote:
Quote:
I recall a custom story which did this extensively. Was pretty interesting, but I can't remember the name. It was just a random Let's Play video I watched, that caught my eye. Some sort of archeology temple dealy.
Was it called "Library of Alexandria"? :>

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

02-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Find
BonesTheRabbit Offline

(02-11-2012, 09:31 PM)Acies Wrote: Was it called "Library of Alexandria"? :>
If I said "I don't think so", would you be sad?

02-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(02-11-2012, 10:01 PM)BonesTheRabbit Wrote:
(02-11-2012, 09:31 PM)Acies Wrote: Was it called "Library of Alexandria"? :>
If I said "I don't think so", would you be sad?
Nah, post freely! >

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

02-12-2012, 05:22 AM
Find