Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
A basic tutorial on creating "Wallsets" for Amnesia in Maya
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
A basic tutorial on creating "Wallsets" for Amnesia in Maya

Modular walls
[Image: EXGVy.jpg]

Video:
http://www.livestream.com/aciescreatestu...m=ui-thumb

This video will show you how to scale, manipulate and move geometry as well as UV maps to make wallsets for Amnesia which clip together.

This is a livestream I did for Palistov, but I forgot to record the sound. Therefore; no sound & "okay but not perfect video quality".

List of things to be aware of:
---Geometry---
  • Deactivate interactive creation when creating your polygon objects
  • The location of vertices when moved can be seen in the lower left corner
  • Amnesia clips by "0.25" when moving objects so any measurement of x.25/x.5/x.75/x.0 on the walls will be fine
  • The left edge of the wall must be identical to the right edge for it to continue naturally
  • Delete faces not visible to the player

---The texture work---

• Use tiled/seamless textures to be able to place the walls next to each other
  • 256x256 - 512x512 - 1024x1024 etc. measurements
  • Save a project file and a .dds dxt 5 of each texture used
---UV mapping---
  • Tiled textures can be scaled larger than the 1x1 uv square (used on the wooden texture to increase resolution)
  • Since the straight wall was set to be 2 meters wide on the X-Axis and the UV map is 1 "unit" wide the relationship between them is 2:1 on the X-Axis. The straight part of the curved wall is 1.75 meters wide and should therefore occupy approximately 0.875 (1.75/2) in width. The height should be the same.
  • When using "Planar mapping" check the options. You can define which axis it should be done for. When making walls planar mapping is preferred, but if the mesh has a lot of curvature toward the "set axis" of the planar mapping streching of the mesh will occur.
  • Use "Automatic mapping" when planar mapping is not applicable without streching.
  • Use the "move & sew" tool to remove any seams in the texture. Seams occur when there is a distance between UV shells. When using move & sew remember that each selected UV point will connect each UV shell it is bound to. You should therefore only select UV points which affect the two UV shells you want to "merge".
  • The planar walls should preferably occupy the whole UV (1x1) space. That makes use of the tiled texture in a correct way. In this example it was not applicable to the corner part as scaling issues would arise (the straight corner parts would have a greater texture resolution than the straight wall - due to the straight corner parts being smaller than the straight wall).
  • To select certain UV shells within a mess of UV shells: First select the faces of the shells you want to select, then go select the faces in the UV editor.

Download link to the tutorial example:
[url]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20790433/Tutoria...nments.zip[/url]

I will keep on adding things if there is any questions or interest for this subject.

Good luck :>

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2012, 07:22 AM by Acies.)
02-25-2012, 07:20 AM
Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 48
RE: A basic tutorial on creating "Wallsets" for Amnesia in Maya

Even though I won't use this cause I suck, +1 cause there will be more than castle base and mansion base <3

02-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Find