Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Just played the new "Dear Esther"
Gunslingerjh Offline

Threads: 48
Just played the new "Dear Esther"

Dear Esther isn't a game, it's Art!
Superb storytelling, great atmosphere, dramatic soundtrack, and most of all:

The most beautiful landscapes I have ever witnessed in a game!
Especially the cave part!
(Even Skyrim can learn from this!)

It was a short, but amazing experience, and I recommend everyone to buy it and play it!
Huge props to TheChineseRoom for trying something that was never done before and succeeding!
I'm keeping an eye on their latest game in development: "Everybody's Gone To The Rapture",
where they will try to create a open world type of game!

This will be very interesting to see Frictional Games and TheChineseRoom collaborate!

02-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Find
Gunslingerjh Offline

RE: New Indie first-person survival horror game : Dear Esther is out now !!

I don't consider it as a game, but as a interactive book. I wasn't disappointed at all!
Never thought the source engine would be capable of rendering those cool environments!

02-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
RE: Just played the new "Dear Esther"

I don't see any reason to open a new thread while everyone can state their opinions here as it is.

Gamins is a branch of art, yeah, but what I'd consider for DE is 'experiment', which worked for many but not for many other.

02-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Website Find
Gunslingerjh Offline

weird.. I thought i started this thread?
Is my mind playing tricks on me?

02-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Find
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2

Definitely not a "survival horror" game. It does have some horror elements in its background though. Extremely subtle, though.

I loved the game, either way. It's great to go through when I just want to sit back and relax. The story, as nonsensical as it is, is told well and has some emotional moments. The ghost sightings and certain events were very unsettling and eerie. And overall, the environments are just beautiful to look at. It's a very atmospheric game.

I can't wait to see how their next two games turn out. I always loved Korsakovia, as well, just a shame that they won't be returning to it. I can't seem to get it to load anything past the 2nd level without crashing, now.
02-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Find