Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.88 Average
The Haunted Stairwell v1.0
trollox Offline

Threads: 16
RE: The Haunted Stairwell v1.0

Sure thing Big Grin
03-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Find
jessehmusic Offline

Threads: 102

(02-27-2012, 05:10 PM)Asphex Wrote: Hello everybody!

This is a short custom story based on the "SCP" games. I tried to focus mainly on developing the "true fear" atmosphere for you, 'cause that's what they are about.

Story Description: (Taken from the actual custom story)
Spoiler below!
You are a secret agent of the old British Paranormal organisation known as "The Queen's Hand". You were sent to investigate an old rectory in Essex, the Borley rectory. The village of Borley lies on the River Stour, two miles north-west of Sudbury in Suffolk and 24 miles north-east of Chelmsford in Essex. It is said, that the rectory has a stairwell that seems to be haunted. It is up to you to investigate this case.

Things to know:
Spoiler below!
This is my first custom story I've ever created, so any kind of feedback is appreciated.
I plan on making a next custom story including puzzles, outdoor areas, basically nicer map design, new models etc.

Info:
I posted it on Mod DB today, but it says it will take 1-2 days for it to be authenticated. I'm not sure if I did anything wrong there(Yes, I'm a noob), but let's hope everything will be allright. Smile

Downloads:

Let's Plays:
Spoiler below!
ChocMonPie: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IENOJYQbNA[/url] + FACECAM

I would really appreciate feedback on this custom story 'cause it's always good to hear from you, the(also better than me) players.

Thanks for checking this out!
when i get home im going to test this!!
will make a lets play my channel --> Hasse951 And LetsPlayHorrorGame

http://www.moddb.com/mods/jessehmusic - Hospital of horror , WIP
03-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Website Find
Asphex Offline

Threads: 2

Quote:when i get home im going to test this!!
will make a lets play my channel --> Hasse951 And LetsPlayHorrorGame

Go on! I will put you in the LP section when you'll give the link Smile

My stories: The Haunted Stairwell v1.0
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2012, 01:45 PM by Asphex.)
03-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Find
pikkutoope Offline

Threads: 0

Ok... its really scary but short. i dont blame you but 4 or 5 scares aren't enough. Also make sure that people don't climb over edges or it will just stop in front of the last door and stay there.
But in the end i'd say 7½/10 If you do samekind of story put more scares, and fix the map skipping bug ( I started this story 3 times cuz i failed just because i climbed over edges ^^). Keep working Bro!
03-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Find
Strembitsky Offline

Threads: 37

(02-28-2012, 11:18 AM)kartanonperuna Wrote: I had a feeling someone will make a cs about it.
Worst custom story I've ever played.
^I fully agree.

I have to disagree with almost every person who has posted about this. They have all said it was really great, 10/10, but more scares and longer.

...No.

[Rant]The map was very badly mapped, there were texture glitches everywhere, there was barely any detail (which there should have been an excessive amount, given how short it was) and the scares were very forced, and you knew they were coming. Also, you could have skipped almost all of the scares by jumping over the railings on the stairs. This custom story is not good, and Asphex, don't let people tell you that this is what you need in a good custom story. It's not, the majority of the audience wants an excellent atmosphere, 100% immersion, and good mapping. They want puzzles, and a feeling called "true fear". You didn't execute any of these points in this custom story. A few of the "forum regulars" posted about this CS, and they were the ones who said it was terrible, because, it was. Please, if you work on a longer version of this map, at least work on your mapping. AT LEAST. Even if this map had perfect mapping, it would still be the worst one I've played; and I've played a lot. Perfectly legitimate/honest score: 2/10 (1 for trying/succeeding to make something like a CS, and 1 for posting it on the forums.)[/Rant]

Sorry, if I sound harsh, but it's the truth.

The Nightmares v1.0 - Dreadful Fires WIP
03-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Find
Asphex Offline

(03-06-2012, 03:38 PM)Strembitsky Wrote:
(02-28-2012, 11:18 AM)kartanonperuna Wrote: I had a feeling someone will make a cs about it.
Worst custom story I've ever played.
^I fully agree.

I have to disagree with almost every person who has posted about this. They have all said it was really great, 10/10, but more scares and longer.

...No.

[Rant]The map was very badly mapped, there were texture glitches everywhere, there was barely any detail (which there should have been an excessive amount, given how short it was) and the scares were very forced, and you knew they were coming. Also, you could have skipped almost all of the scares by jumping over the railings on the stairs. This custom story is not good, and Asphex, don't let people tell you that this is what you need in a good custom story. It's not, the majority of the audience wants an excellent atmosphere, 100% immersion, and good mapping. They want puzzles, and a feeling called "true fear". You didn't execute any of these points in this custom story. A few of the "forum regulars" posted about this CS, and they were the ones who said it was terrible, because, it was. Please, if you work on a longer version of this map, at least work on your mapping. AT LEAST. Even if this map had perfect mapping, it would still be the worst one I've played; and I've played a lot. Perfectly legitimate/honest score: 2/10 (1 for trying/succeeding to make something like a CS, and 1 for posting it on the forums.)[/Rant]

Sorry, if I sound harsh, but it's the truth.
I think I can hide behind the fact that this was my first custom story and since I didn't/don't have the knowledge at the moment I made this, I MYSELF am quite proud of my "creation". Sure, there are people who will not like it and so on.. atm I'm working on a bigger project and I'm taking notice of all the feedback I have gathered so far. + it was called v1.0 for a reason. Mostly, I think you're right, because I myself see that it is short and the scares are obvious, but I gave myself a permission to use SCP as a template for "basics" on custom story making f.e. scripting, mapping (altough I didn't know about the 0.001 trick at the time) and so on. So yes, I am a newb. But you see, I'll keep on progressing, because I appreciate all the feedback, and use it and take notice of it. Oh and I didn't kind of aim for any kind of audience. I just did what I had in mind at the moment, tried to get hold of the HPL level editor, then tought I could release it here. Smile Asphex out, peace.

03-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Find
trollox Offline

Threads: 16

Hi , i'd like to point out my opinion on both your comments. 1.Strembitskys' commnent is pretty much jebberish. Because 1. you're pointing out the bad things and alone the bad things. That's not what a rant is all about. I do agree the mapping isn't flawless but then again as he said it's his first map which means it shouldn't be either. As for the map it self it's based on the game SCP i'm unsure if you've placed it. But as from my understanding you said that there was no details ? Well i can't remember that SCP has any details ? And as for a rant in regular i don't believe that it should be to harsh , i think you should give him some tip that could help him in the future instead of mocking his work. I know from my expience i was very happy with my first work and it's not flawless.

And as for Asphex i think you should keep in mind what
Strembitsky wrote and take that as a positive feed back , because now you know what you need to pracite on Smile And like you said as time goes by so does the experince level. So yeah pracite details / mapping and have fun , i think that's the most important part when making a map. Have fun.

Take care both of you , sorry for leaving a pretty unneeded comment... But i feelt like i had to say somthing for the sake of Asphex. And good luck on your future map.

Trollox.

[b]
[/b]
03-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Find
Strembitsky Offline

Threads: 37

I only posted such a harsh review because I was getting annoyed at everyone saying how excellent this custom story was. Those people aren't helping Asphex at all, they are feeding him lies which will configure his mind so that he makes really bad custom stories in the future. I was being as honest as possible to try and make sure his future custom stories are very, very well done. This was not, however. I am perfectly aware that it is your first custom story, and for a first, it's not absolutely horrid, but it isn't good. Follow people's advice, and only the people that look like they know what the fuck they are doing, because the newbies that say this is excellent, and that you should do more exactly like this; they're completely, utterly wrong.

The Nightmares v1.0 - Dreadful Fires WIP
03-08-2012, 01:59 AM
Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 48

^

To each, their own.

03-08-2012, 02:17 AM
Find
Asphex Offline

(03-08-2012, 01:59 AM)Strembitsky Wrote: I only posted such a harsh review because I was getting annoyed at everyone saying how excellent this custom story was. Those people aren't helping Asphex at all, they are feeding him lies which will configure his mind so that he makes really bad custom stories in the future. I was being as honest as possible to try and make sure his future custom stories are very, very well done. This was not, however. I am perfectly aware that it is your first custom story, and for a first, it's not absolutely horrid, but it isn't good. Follow people's advice, and only the people that look like they know what the fuck they are doing, because the newbies that say this is excellent, and that you should do more exactly like this; they're completely, utterly wrong.
Well, In my opinion it wasn't excellent either, but I think the point everybody who commented meant is that the IDEA was good, to start with that. ..And no, I'll have to say that you simply don't reconfigure this mind boy Smile also, they aren't supposed to "help" me straight on by holding my hand. They help me by telling me stuff they liked in it and what they don't like, f.e. thanks for your feedback on the mapping and other stuff, I've learned my lesson on the first day I released this "utter crap". You know.. I get a full review from the bits and pieces I collect and connect, 'cause that's the point of feedback for me, if you know what I mean. Also, I don't really like it when someone goes on and starts calling people newbies or "they don't know what the fuck they are doing", because they may not be aware of the glitches and bugs in the game, yes, but as I saw the positive feedback I got, I can be sure as hell, that they didn't mean mapping. Who even said that mapping in this cs was excellent? Huh? Anybody? See, I see it like that they meant f.e. the jumpscare sound when the grunt comes or maybe the idea of implementing SCP into amnesia. Who knows.. but for sure, it wasn't the mapping they were saying is "excellent". Anyways, you liked it or not, I'll keep on progressing. Asphex out.

03-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Find