Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Amnesia Custom Story (The Abductions)
Anxt Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Amnesia Custom Story (The Abductions)

Whelp, I'm stuck.

Spoiler below!
I am in the room with the 4 levers. I have tried every combination. And brother, I mean EVERY combination. All 48 of them. So I took a look at the map in the map editor and looked at the HPS file. I still really don't have a clue what I am supposed to be doing. I would have done it a different way, but we all code how we feel is best.

Thus far, there are clipping issues abound. Welders are your friends, use them on corners. The grid snapping tool will help make sure walls don't overlap.

Honestly, some things don't make sense. I was in some prison type area, I pulled a lever, didn't notice anything happen, tried to go back to the Cellar, and suddenly I am in the mansion area.

I'll hold off on further notes until later, but for now, can you just tell me the combination so I can move on? <3

03-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Find
Ardoetia Offline

Threads: 4

I might have done some small wrongs on the doors back, as you are not supposed to go back, but added it incase people forgot items in the previous rooms.

And yes, in the start there was more clipper early on as I was not experienced, tried to fix most but didn't find all obviously.

Spoiler below!
The combination is the one closest to the bookshelf and the one between the windows
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2012, 11:52 PM by Ardoetia.)
03-01-2012, 11:51 PM
Find
Ardoetia Offline

Everyone here that downloaded the CS.

There was a small bug when you went into a door you came from, I would advise you not to do that as you will lack items you need to progress.

I uploaded a small patch, but I think they are going to be slow, I hope few of you had this problem.

But it will not be any bugs other than this, if you do not go back when going past the first level, the CS will run just fine.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2012, 01:36 AM by Ardoetia.)
03-02-2012, 01:29 AM
Find
Ardoetia Offline

So, small question :o

Is there anyone that actually finished that has been keeping out on me with feedback? :c
03-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Find
Anxt Offline

I tried that combination for the levers, and nothing happened. I tried both up and down. Not sure if it is a bug or not.

03-02-2012, 11:33 PM
Find
Ardoetia Offline

Thats wierd, it works fine for me Confused

Send me the .hps file in pm and I will take a look Smile
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2012, 11:40 PM by Ardoetia.)
03-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Find
Anxt Offline

Ok, I finished it after working around the issues I was having. Here are my thoughts: (Please keep in mind I mean all of this to be constructive, not offensive, I am simply telling you my opinions to help you improve)

Spoiler below!
Major problems: The levers still didn't work, after restarting the game, trying the combination immediately (the one you gave me) and nothing happened. I don't know what was causing it, the code seemed ok, but it is what it is. In the future, avoid creating puzzles where the player has to guess to get the answer. Puzzles are meant to be solved, not guessed at until it happens to work.

Clipping issues. Everywhere. I know this is your first map, but you should really do everything you can to avoid it. It is very damaging to immersion, and many people see it as the result of laziness (I understand that clipping can happen, but it just happened way too much. Seemed like every room.)

You were missing ceilings in certain areas. Such as room with the lightning at the end, and in the Kitchen, just at the top of the stairs.

Lighting was pretty basic, nothing special to say really, it didn't seem like you did much with it except the red and blue/green, but again, lighting isn't easy to get right on your first go-round.

As for story, I take it English is not your first language, but I commend you for having better grammar than many English-speaking people I know. There wasn't much of a story there, though. All I know is, apparently I have been abducted, and the grunts are helping because they want revenge. Fair enough. But that's basically all there is. There isn't a back story. There isn't any real information on the bad guy. There wasn't much explanation as to why I have to fill a pot with my blood to set them free. Again, this isn't a HUGE problem, but I would suggest trying to make more story elements in the future.

There are many places where the music conflicted with itself, such as another track trying to play while another is active, and tracks continuing into a new map when it shouldn't (this may just be an issue for me, I have never seen it happen the way it did before).

Take it easy on some of the particle systems. Especially in the caged area with the brute and kaernks. There are fog boxes for that purpose.

Try to make your architecture make sense. Everything you could possibly need to build a map (the infrastructure, at least) is right there. Door ways, door frames, welders, pillars, etc. I would suggest just going through and checking out what kinds of things you can use, so you can plan ahead to make better environments.

Overall, I would say it was a decent attempt for your first time. There are many things that can be improved upon, but many of them come with experience, patience, and a bit of experimentation. Don't be afraid to use things as they weren't meant to be used, but also make sure everything makes sense to be where it is.

Once again, for emphasis, I don't mean any of this to be offensive. These are just the things I noticed, and I think you could make an excellent custom story if you use what I have said to make your next one better.

03-03-2012, 05:36 AM
Find
Ardoetia Offline

It seems like most of the issues that you had was not there for me, and with the story it is supposed to be like it is, you will get more of the story in the upcomming mod, as I feel when creating a trilogy that you need to have story for each or else it gets boring.

And I don't really know why the levers didnt work for you, everyone else that tested had no issues with it, the guessing part is true, but it is not that hard as the lever stucks when you get it right.

But thanks for feedback.

(And with the music is wierd, it worked as intended for me and all my testers, I don't know why it bugged for you Confused)
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2012, 06:39 AM by Ardoetia.)
03-03-2012, 06:33 AM
Find
Ardoetia Offline

I will release all three when the triology is finished, and fix and tuneup all of them as much as I can.

For now the story is the focus in the first one, level of detail is much higher in the second part.
03-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Find
Ardoetia Offline

I have uploaded a new file now, it should be up tonight I think.

The updates are currently:

Major Fixes:
- Changed the lever puzzle in the Mansion
- Changed spawn after death generally
- Added a failsafe from progressing when not picked up all items
- Fixed some scripts that didn't work
- Fixed a roof in the starting area
- Fixed spawn point when Kaernks killed you in first map
- Added a note in the end with more of the story

Minor Fixes:
- Glitches in the texture
- Added some fog to create more atmosphere (Aswell as remove some fog where there was too much)
- Small texture fixes
- Prevented player from moving in the intro
03-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Find