Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Something in Penumbra that went missing in Amnesia
cantremember Offline

Threads: 29
Something in Penumbra that went missing in Amnesia

In Penumbra, you could rightclick on all the various objects and you'd see Philip's thoughts on the object.
Eg. you clicked some scratchings on a wood table and you would see the text appear like "Hmm whoever did this must have been insane". Or also give a clue as to how to proceed if it's a puzzle-related object.

I really enjoyed clicking on everything to see what Philip has to say about it. To me it provided an extra immersion, kind of like a text-based adventure game or novel and gave some deeper insight on Philip's mind. That helped me attach with the character IMO.
It went missing in Amnesia but I kind of hope it will make a return in A machine for Pigs.

The only thing that I didn't really like about this feature is the eye-icon you got when something was clickable, maybe it could be implemented in a different way, like the text coming up automatically as you are looking at something or something.

On the other hand, not having that feature gives a greater sense of isolation, and also desperation, as in Philip's case sometimes he would say something humorous about an object.

Thoughts?
03-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Find
BrooksyFC Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Something in Penumbra that went missing in Amnesia

Yeah I know what you mean, I like the idea of clicking on objects and finding out a bit more about them. Like I think in Overture and Black Plague there were posters and maps I think and just looking at them you didn't know what they were.

Some information wasn't useful but some of it was interesting and linked with the story and puzzles.

The eye icon did scare me at times, like being in a dark room and then this staring eye looking at you from out of know-where haha Tongue

Think A Little, Change A Lot
03-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Find
Mehis Offline

Threads: 10

Amnesia also missed alternative carryable light sources. They probably didn't add another light source because nobody really used flares in Penumbra. Penumbra only didn't have that part when Philip loses his glowstick and flashlight and he has to use flares on some creepy dark corridor. I was actually expecting that on some parts of Penumbra like the sewers in Black Plague. Or spider tunnels in Overture. They are screaming for that creepyness.
I hope next Amnesia would have this... HINT HINT

03-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Find
Adrift Offline

Threads: 0

I agree completely
03-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Find
sMasl33t Offline

Threads: 4

I played Penumbra before Amnesia, so I was really suprised to see that Amnesia didn't have that feature. As you said, not having the feature would make it easier to immerse yourself into the enviroment, instead of listening to what the game has to say. In this case I didn't feel like the game was telling me what I saw. It gave me a bit of a hint on what to do. Another thing, I personally think that many of the puzzles in Amnesia were ridiciously easy. If you compare to Penumbra. Over all: I think they should add this feature to Amnesia: A machine for pigs (If that'll be the name), and harder puzzles. Or atleast that it could be turned "ON/OFF" in the options.

[Image: 76561198049001305.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2012, 06:58 PM by sMasl33t.)
03-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Find
TheGrandHero Offline

Threads: 0

(03-08-2012, 05:52 PM)Mehis Wrote: Amnesia also missed alternative carryable light sources. They probably didn't add another light source because nobody really used flares in Penumbra.
Didn't use the flares? Pfft. I only used the flashlight once in a blue moon. The glow stick didn't need batteries so I used it almost exclusively.
03-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Find
Gharren Offline

Threads: 1

(03-08-2012, 01:46 PM)cantremember Wrote: I really enjoyed clicking on everything to see what Philip has to say about it. To me it provided an extra immersion, kind of like a text-based adventure game or novel and gave some deeper insight on Philip's mind. That helped me attach with the character IMO.
It went missing in Amnesia but I kind of hope it will make a return in A machine for Pigs.
Yeah, totally agree with that. I had fun exploring the areas and reading the object descriptions. Interacting with the non-important parts of the environment gives everything a more natural and deeper feeling.

Also, some alternative light sources in Amnesia would be pretty nice, e.g. carryable candles or torches.

I'm a werewolf. Meow.
-----------
The Beauty of Nature.
-----------
03-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Website Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

I exactly agree with the topic.
This are my words, the exploration mode for items makes the game more immersing.
You can do more with items, read what Philip is thinking about it.
In Amnesia you only can walk through the environments, throw some boxes and pick up oil and tinderboxes.
No tricky physical thoughts on the objects. This was really immersing in Penumbra and I also missed it in Amnesia.

Fully agree with you here.

An other problem are the bad texts in Amnesia, like "You must find it before use.." or "Follow the trail and find the source...".
The texts are more hints, given by a third person to Daniel or given by the computer.
In Penumbra it was Philips thoughts "Mmm... it seems to be in worn condition..." or "I don't know what it is, perhaps I should take along...".

This thoughts are more knowless, he was thinking, not knowing and puzzles never get destroyed by hints.
The player self should find out what to do and not get a text what says that he has to put the coal into the burner. I mean, what's that for a puzzle when the solution is given by the text?

This is why I reworked the german lang file for Amnesia to make it more like Penumbra, more immersing.

I really hope, Frictional Games will read this and noticed that for the future.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2012, 07:43 PM by Googolplex.)
03-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13

They removed the text descriptions from Amnesia because they wanted the player to feel more immersed, for the player be Daniel. Clicking an object and reading the character's thoughts on it would separate you from the character.

They have written about all of this in the blog: http://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/2010...-game.html
03-09-2012, 02:15 AM
Find
Mehis Offline

Threads: 10

Though, that is true what Tomas said in the blog, I still think that narrating is a better idea.
It makes you feel like you play this part of his life again. E.g, Without this knowledge, without this foundation, you could not have the will to do what I must now ask of you.
As Philip tells his story and asks you to continue the story further. It really gives you feeling that you are playing as him and you should do the actions of what he would do. I found this much more interesting.
That is what I preferred in Penumbra. It really felt like a story and made it a lot more interesting.
Narrating also gave some valuable information about puzzles to make them a little bit more easier, because you had to right click the object. Instead of just appearing automaticly in the center of the screen like in Amnesia or not at all.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2012, 12:45 PM by Mehis.)
03-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Find