Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4.18 Average
Work in progress Amnesia: The Great Work [SEEKING TRANSLATORS]
Damascus Offline

Threads: 118
RE: Amnesia: The Great Work [Seeking Logo Artist]

Ooh I like it! Thank you so much for your hard work! Though I'd like to see the second picture there as the background in the first one (does that make any sense?)

12-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

(12-05-2012, 02:30 PM)Alex Ros Wrote: If it's possible technically than it might be also interesting and effective to make a blinking logo. I mean for example once in a 3-5 seconds the main picture could blink with another one, just for a tiny moment. But I do not know if thist is possible technically...
It's quite possible. Simply set the logo in the config file to "" (blank) so nothing loads. Then load the logo as a billboard in the custom menu level map. Attach the logo billboard to a pointlight and have the pointlight flicker. Cleverly place it in front of the CameraPos and when you load up the level, you have a blinking logo. =]

Only thing to worry about is since it's not in the config file, it does not apply to screen resolution changes. So you have to place it in a spot where it won't go out of the screen when set to 4:3 ratio, nor will it collide with the menu buttons.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2012, 07:36 PM by Statyk.)
12-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

Quote:...Thank you so much for your hard work...
It's not so hard. It's just a matter of way of thinking. For example the logo of the Euronews channel is the pure white circle. Was it hard to make it? Nope. There's nothing simpler than a pure fucking circle. To make it physically is the matter of seconds. It was only about a good thinking and finding a proper form for exact idea... well design for games is a little bit different. So it's not right to compare the logo of a TV channel with any ingame designs, but... I just hope that this my short speech will come in handy to someone else.

(12-05-2012, 07:34 PM)Statyk Wrote:
(12-05-2012, 02:30 PM)Alex Ros Wrote: If it's possible technically than it might be also interesting and effective to make a blinking logo. I mean for example once in a 3-5 seconds the main picture could blink with another one, just for a tiny moment. But I do not know if thist is possible technically...
It's quite possible. Simply set the logo in the config file to "" (blank) so nothing loads. Then load the logo as a billboard in the custom menu level map. Attach the logo billboard to a pointlight and have the pointlight flicker. Cleverly place it in front of the CameraPos and when you load up the level, you have a blinking logo. =] Only thing to worry about is since it's not in the config file, it does not apply to screen resolution changes. So you have to place it in a spot where it won't go out of the screen when set to 4:3 ratio, nor will it collide with the menu buttons.
I would really recommend do it that way in particular, it makes the most sense. Simply because it would mirror the general idea of the Great Work in a best possible way. A conflict in between science and spirituality. The question of possibilities to study the spirituality with a scientific methods.

P.S. I've send all possible versions via e-mail, have you got it? Is everything all right?

Oh... I see... I think the first version of the logo truly didn't fit well the Great Work idea, because it's not about the science and machinery. I think that earlier logo would perfectly fit the idea of The Machine CS... I should go now...
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2012, 08:32 PM by Alex Ros.)
12-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Website Find
Damascus Offline

I think this looks pretty damn good if I do say so myself. :]

Spoiler below!
[Image: d6HIe.jpg]

This is not a full conversion so I won't be able to get it to blink. I'm also gonna have it appear between chapters, but I can't decide whether to display the whole logo, or just the background part of it.

12-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

I say just do the background. It will get the point across without distracting from the game by having the words.
12-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Find
ElectricRed Offline

Threads: 13

I like the symbol, but why the angle measurements around it? It's a trigonometric circle, it really has nothing to do with alchemy or anything else in that category. Tongue

[Image: 9lkjf4.jpg]

12-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

(12-05-2012, 10:56 PM)ElectricRed Wrote: I like the symbol, but why the angle measurements around it? It's a trigonometric circle, it really has nothing to do with alchemy or anything else in that category. Tongue
But what do you think about that by yourself? Just think for a while. And "I do not know" is not the answer. Think and offer your own version why is that so and not any other way.

(12-05-2012, 09:13 PM)Damascus Wrote: ...This is not a full conversion...
Really?!? Why is that so?
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2012, 11:15 PM by Alex Ros.)
12-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Website Find
Damascus Offline

I think mathematics applies to the field of alchemy, since it is a science. After all, alchemists had to make precise calculations and measurements, and the diagrams they drew required detailed geometry. More than anything, though, I simply like it as a representation of science and knowledge.

I didn't make it a full conversion because I didn't think there was anything I was doing that I thought made it necessary. I'm not changing any game mechanics, I'm not changing the player's lantern, and so on. It is going to be a very large story, but i don't think making it a Full Conversion will make any real difference. I also think Full Conversions are very cumbersome. I'd like for people to just be able to download it and put it in their CS folder and be able to play it right away.

12-06-2012, 01:17 AM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

Interjecting with pie

Spoiler below!
[Image: math%20pi%20decimal%20matrix.jpg]

Oh my bad, I meant PI.

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2012, 01:24 AM by crisosphinx.)
12-06-2012, 01:23 AM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

(12-06-2012, 01:17 AM)Damascus Wrote: ...I didn't make it a full conversion because I didn't think there was anything I was doing that I thought made it necessary. I'm not changing any game mechanics, I'm not changing the player's lantern, and so on. It is going to be a very large story, but i don't think making it a Full Conversion will make any real difference. I also think Full Conversions are very cumbersome. I'd like for people to just be able to download it and put it in their CS folder and be able to play it right away.
Check out the Deterioration full conversion. There is a totally isolated directory with it's launch .bat file. It's even easier than playing Custom Story. Simply copy folder into Amnesia folder and simply launch .bat file. You do not even need at the main menu click > custom story > this-no-this-no... oh that! custom story > start... Nothing like that. Just launch and play. Very comfortable. Really. And very UNLIKE any other total conversions I played which, be honest, were a pain in the ass to install and especially to uninstall. Deterioration is NOT like them. Check it out really. I mean technically how it's made. Really comfortable. More comfortable than Custom Stories.

As for game mechanics and lanterns it's not about that, it's more about menu. I guess you're going to change loading screen backgrounds. Am I right? And I guess you have your own music. Am I right? And finally you thought that it's better to have a logo that would fit the idea of the story. So you do think that all these things are important. And what I want to say is that the main menu is the first thing you see, when you enter the game. It's more than important part of the style-atmosphere-mood.

"It is going to be a very large story..." and this is also the reason why you should invest some time and make a full conversion. Really long and really intriguing story and unique puzzles on and on - these are things that should make you to think in the direction of a full conversion. Not those fucking lanterns and mechanics...

Anyway, it's up to you what to do, but... it's a big work you've done... just make everything you can to make it look like it's really The Great Work.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2012, 02:45 AM by Alex Ros.)
12-06-2012, 02:42 AM
Website Find