Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Models Exported from Blender Always Invisible
ZutaraRaven Offline

Threads: 2
Models Exported from Blender Always Invisible

After getting frustrated being unable to import the models I downloaded into the Model Editor, I decided to go and follow the steps here exactly:
http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/thi...3d/blender

As it turns out, it's still a no-go.
I'm using the latest version of blender, I actually just got a fresh download today. I can always see the shapes of my models in the Model Viewer, but whenever I go into the Model Editor to get the model game-ready, it's invisible. When I click the area where objects appear by default, I can see the kind of 'mesh' that lets me know it's there, but otherwise it's just being a ghost.
Also, when this happens, if I try to load a second object that I had tried exporting from blender, the Model Viewer crashes.

I have used jpegs for the textures on the blender models and have followed the steps in the wiki linked above to get it export ready, then moved the collada some place into Amnesia's redist folder for easy access.

And dammit, I've been searching the far reaches of the internet for a solution. There's gotta be something I'm missing here.
03-22-2012, 10:39 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: Models Exported from Blender Always Invisible

The main reason why that happens normally deals with a missing material file that references the textures. However, the model viewer normally takes care of that automatically when you first load the model. So, either the model editor can't find the material file or it can't find the texture that the material file references, or something random.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
03-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Website Find
ZutaraRaven Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Models Exported from Blender Always Invisible

So it looks like it placed the texture in the appropriate location by itself.
When I saw the texture folder there, I thought this was dandy and I opened up my model in the Model Editor again.
The good news is that the cube isn't invisible anymore. The bad news is that it is definitely not using the texture I want it to.

What's going on is really strange, but unfortunately I can't share screenshots because a storm blew out my Internet and I'm typing this up on a tiny iPhone keyboard.

My cube is (instead I'd black/grey woven texture) hot pink. One corner, identical on each face, is tiled with random symbols. This is what it looks like when my mouse is over the Model Editor. When I take my mouse away, the cube has a weird black and white pattern of checkers and rounded squares. It's really odd.

I went back into blender and checked my texture settings. Below the mapping options, I noticed a menu called influence (I haven't modeled in a few years, I'm still adjusting to new blender). In the influence options there is a hot pink color selected, and a box beneath diffuse checked.

So I'm guessing that's where the hot pink is coming from.
03-23-2012, 04:13 AM
Find