Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Stuck at the watery cave, ladder missing
Microwave Oven
Unregistered

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Stuck at the watery cave, ladder missing
Somehow the ladder to get up to the spider caves is missing from the level, and I can't progress. What can I do?

I've attached a save file from the area in question. Could somebody tell me what happened to the ladder?
11-15-2007, 01:04 AM
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Stuck at the watery cave, ladder missing
You know you have to throw one of the pieces of the ladder onto the actual piece, right?

Could you include the HPL log after playing in the water cave? It's much easier to read and see anything wrong than a save file =[

Tried pasting the file here for other people to read easily; but website gave errors on it being too large.

mmmm.. strange, doing a ctrl+f laddermain or laddersec doesn't seem to find anything, at all. Might be caused by by him not touching the objects, and HPL not needing to record it's new position (I'm not sure on that, don't really know how the save files are made)

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
11-15-2007, 05:57 AM
Find
Microwave Oven
Unregistered

Well, I managed to find the ladder piece, after I did a little digging into the savegame. (Which, until now, I had not realized was XML. This made things a little easier.)

The ladder pieces had somehow fallen though the floor and were just falling in space. I was able to move them back into the room by editing their transformation matrix. How they managed to get outside the level geometry I do not know, but it was frustrating to not be able to progress because of a glitch. This glitch could be compensated for by returning objects that fall out of the level back to their original starting place.

I also recall during an earlier playthrough another place where I got stuck. The mine cart you have to push downhill to crash through the brick wall somehow jumped its tracks and didn't make it down the hill. I had to reload my savegame and do it again. Also, the refinery just before has an issue that could keep the game from progressing.

There's also another glitch I found that's potentially gamebreaking, but I am hesitant to post it publicly as it's a real whopper of an exploit.

Ok then, I'm off to break the game some more. Smile
11-15-2007, 08:45 AM
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70
Feel free to post exploits, or at least PM a mod about it.

And penumbra does have quirky ground collision sometimes. From what I understand, part of the object falls through the ground. When this happens, the ground 'pushes' it back up, without the player noticing most of the time. However, sometimes it will push it back down, causing it to fall into empty space.

In your 'Settings' foulder in mydocs/penumbra/e1 there should be these lines near the bottom of the file
<Physics PhysicsAccuracy="2" UpdatesPerSec="60.000000" />

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
11-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Find
Jump to the post that solved this thread.