Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work in progress [RELEASE DATE 2012/7/7 ] Hell Awakening Prologue: The Dorm
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: Hell Awakening Prologue: The Dorm

(04-07-2012, 02:12 PM)Acies Wrote: Poor kids sitting at the back watching those Tvs :>

On a more serious note:
- I'd suggest you create more contrast in your lighting. The room looks at little bland at the moment, due to the lighting.
- Head over to
http://cgtextures.com/ and fetch some new textures for the walls, floors and ceiling - it's super simple and superfast Smile You could make them all planes. Just make sure they are "tiled" textures. If you'd go with this you could model out some simple shapes which you "add to" the wall - giving it some 3D instead of being a plane.
The lighting problem is due to I having increased the lighting for the map for the screenshot. Otherwise it would've been too dark to see well. And turning on the lantern would leave Daniel's big hand blocking the screen. In the real release, the light from the windows should be able to contrast with the room's darkness just fine IMHO.

And...I understand where you're going with the second point, but in this case, the mansion walls are frankly already super 3D enough lol. I'll keep that website for future reference though. Thanks!
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2012, 02:19 PM by Kreekakon.)
04-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Oh, that's not entirely what I meant :> I suggest that you replace the wooden roof in picture one for example, with something grayish (concrete?) to smooth the transition between the lamps and fans you have added.

Now I don't know how the area actually looks, but surely it doesn't fit the amnesia assets perfectly? Smile You could probably find images which looks like the walls/floor/ceiling of the actual area! And all in all it shouldn't take you more than 20 minutes.

Heeh.. Maybe you did get that and I'm just being slow..

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

04-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Oh I get what you mean now! Making the color of the ceiling closer to that of the fan, and lights to achieve better transition. Am I correct?

But I don't really think that's such a great idea. Main reason I went for this is to leave a bit of contrast between the planes, and entities, so that it won't hurt everyone's eyes by all being white. I pictured your suggestion in my head for a bit, but I think what I have now might look better.
04-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Find
SilentStriker Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 26

(04-07-2012, 02:33 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: Oh I get what you mean now! Making the color of the ceiling closer to that of the fan, and lights to achieve better transition. Am I correct?

But I don't really think that's such a great idea. Main reason I went for this is to leave a bit of contrast between the planes, and entities, so that it won't hurt everyone's eyes by all being white. I pictured your suggestion in my head for a bit, but I think what I have now might look better.
He meant that it should be like concrete or something instead of wood in the ceiling Smile

04-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(04-07-2012, 02:39 PM)SilentStriker Wrote: He meant that it should be like concrete or something instead of wood in the ceiling Smile
Yeah, I got that ^^

04-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Oh I get what you mean now! Making the color of the ceiling closer to that of the fan, and lights to achieve better transition. Am I correct?
Ah, yes that was one example you could do :> Except, without the lights part. What I meant is that the room looks very evenly lit. That could be due to the brightening of the image, but going from the image, I'd recommend having some darker areas and some lighter areas --> Variations in the light.

That was one of the things you could do. There are probably very many other different textures which would suit your requirement of having contrast. But, if you feel that the amnesia textures "do their job" you can keep it that way. The reason to why I suggest you'd add new ones is that it takes away from the "amnesia feel"/"indentification of the area as an amnesia area" - making the player feel as if they are visiting a new environment; your school.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

04-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(04-07-2012, 02:48 PM)Acies Wrote: Ah, yes that was one example you could do :> Except, without the lights part. What I meant is that the room looks very evenly lit. That could be due to the brightening of the image, but going from the image, I'd recommend having some darker areas and some lighter areas --> Variations in the light.
We're both misunderstanding each other right now XD What I meant by "lights" in my previous post were the "light appliances" on the ceiling. I was talking about those, and fans as furniture, not light sources.

And yeah, like I said before, the light problem is fine. It only looks like this because of brightening the map for screenshots.

As for textures....might consider it =)
04-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Find
SUMMER^ Offline

Threads: 6

This looks pretty interesting. If you are still looking for another tester, I'd be up for it. I'm quite professional in my work. Just take a look at my thread to see other users' feedback. I put a link to it in my signature.

Hope to hear back from you!

04-14-2012, 08:14 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(04-14-2012, 08:14 AM)SUMMER^ Wrote: This looks pretty interesting. If you are still looking for another tester, I'd be up for it. I'm quite professional in my work. Just take a look at my thread to see other users' feedback. I put a link to it in my signature.

Hope to hear back from you!
Sure! I've got room for one more tester! I'll contact you if I need any testing done.

As for the status of the CS:
Mid-term exams are this week, and the one after, so work may be slowed down very much for a while. I did write a rough draft of all the notes that will be in the CS though, so at least that's some progress. Also, I'm experimenting with textures for the basement walls, so that I don't deviate from the feel of my school too badly.

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2012, 03:20 PM by Kreekakon.)
04-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Sorry for the double post, but it's time for another update!

4/18/2012:
Finally managed to reach a breakthrough in texturing. Work on final "large" map of the story has finally started.

EDIT:
Mini Update which does not warrant bumping the thread for:

4/19/2012:
Standard building layout for newest map(Walls, doors, windows...) is complete. Expect screenshots soon.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2012, 08:03 PM by Kreekakon.)
04-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Find