Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Level Editor Help Primitives working with occlusion culling
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6
Primitives working with occlusion culling

Im in a position where, to create a convincing enough environment Im using Primatives with textures to make up walls, instead of static object. There doesnt seem to be a way that I can find to make primatives cast shadow (although there is a setting for primatives called 'cast shadow') for, say, spot lights. That can be designed around, but it got me worried that the occlusion culling wouldnt work properly

I was wondering if anyone knows whether primatives that effectively block the players sight actually work with the occlusion culling system, in the same way that static objects like proper walls do?
03-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10
RE: Primitives working with occlusion culling

For some reason, you cannot cast shadows with planes. You'd have to use the technical black plane to create a shadow. You could position the black planes 0.001 units behind the plane, so that the shadow would remain convincing.

03-29-2012, 11:23 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

(03-29-2012, 11:23 PM)Obliviator27 Wrote: For some reason, you cannot cast shadows with planes. You'd have to use the technical black plane to create a shadow. You could position the black planes 0.001 units behind the plane, so that the shadow would remain convincing.
Thanks for your response. As I said, the issues with shadows can be worked around (i had thought of using sections of wall, but a black plane is a better idea), thats not so much the issue though I appreciate your answer.

The occlusion culling system means that the engine doesn't load things that the player can't see, to a certain degree. This improves performance on large levels. What I'm asking is, since the primatives dont block light like normal walls do, do they still work with the occlusion culling system? i.e. do things behind them (out of view for the player) not get loaded

03-29-2012, 11:55 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(03-29-2012, 11:55 PM)Adrianis Wrote: The occlusion culling system means that the engine doesn't load things that the player can't see, to a certain degree. This improves performance on large levels. What I'm asking is, since the primatives dont block light like normal walls do, do they still work with the occlusion culling system? i.e. do things behind them (out of view for the player) not get loaded

Light shining on an object that can't be seen (though the light can be seen) doesn't dictate whether the object being shined on should be rendered. If you want some insight on the workings of occlusion culling of the game, turn on the global fog with occlusion culling and make the starting distance the same as the ending distance.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
03-30-2012, 12:57 AM
Website Find