Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Copyright Question
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
Copyright Question

Hey there all. Here's more of a legal question. Am I allowed to use other people's assets, and/or music in my work if I give them credit, and don't make profits out of it?

What I have in mind goes beyond simple community work, I'm talking even to the boundaries of big-budget movie official soundtracks. Am I allowed to use those as long as credit is given, and I don't make profits out of it? Or is it still considered a violation of copyright?

Reason I'm asking is that I'd hate to submit my mod to Moddb someday, and have it removed for reasons like this one.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2012, 07:15 PM by Kreekakon.)
04-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20
RE: Copyright Question

(04-06-2012, 07:10 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: Hey there all. Here's more of a legal question. Am I allowed to use other people's assets, and/or music in my work if I give them credit, and don't make profits out of it?

What I have in mind goes beyond simple community work, I'm talking even to the boundaries of big-budget movie official soundtracks. Am I allowed to use those as long as credit is given, and I don't make profits out of it? Or is it still considered a violation of copyright?

Reason I'm asking is that I'd hate to submit my mod to Moddb someday, and have removed for reasons like this one.
That can depends on what sort of licence the song is released under, but record company songs are typically guarded very diligently, because every copy of a song is worth the price of a CD, meaning that your game will be worth the price of a CD times the number of downloads. If your story happens to become popular for some reason, and the company wants 10% of the download revenues, then that's a lot of money, and you're not even selling the story.
If you really want that particular song on your story, then theoretically the way to go is to ask the record company or maybe the artist, if you can use it for your story, preferably free of charge. I have a feeling they'll turn you down, but that's the way to go.
I'm not certain if the same goes for covers of the same song, though. If a small artist makes a MIDI/mod song cover of the song, then I think his copy HAS to be free, because he can't make money from the original unless he asks permission. Just make sure to credit him too.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

04-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Well, this is probably a sneaky maneuver, but could I use the song first, and change it if they come knocking later on?
04-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

It's illegal to use movies soundtracks since their license does not allow the content to be reused/modified for free.(most)

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
04-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(04-07-2012, 10:09 AM)nemesis567 Wrote: It's illegal to use movies soundtracks since their license does not allow the content to be reused/modified for free.(most)
Well, a lot of rap music use sampling without asking for permission. They just can't claim copyright for those songs. There was a case where The Fugees wanted to go after somebody misusing their song, but they couldn't because they had in turn used samples from Enya, so they didn't have the copyright.
In other words, as long as it's a remix of the song, or it's only a small snippet from the song, you can get away with it.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2012, 10:31 AM by Cranky Old Man.)
04-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Yeah I'm pretty sure if you do small edits like the speed and pitch and such they can't get you for anything, not sure though.

Posting Freak
04-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Website Find