Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra Overture Won't Run on ATI Mobility HD2600 512 Mb
Nephil Offline

Threads: 3
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Penumbra Overture Won't Run on ATI Mobility HD2600 512 Mb

Hello,

I have a problem: Penumbra starts, changes screen resolution to a lower one, the screen goes black, a second later it exits and displays a message saying that my graphics card doesn't support vertex shaders.

I have an Asus notebook with the following config:

AMD Athlon X2 1.8 Ghz
1 GB of RAM
ATI HD2600 Mobility w. 512 Mb of on-board memory

I installed the patch but it won't do any good.

Please help.
12-15-2007, 08:09 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Penumbra Overture Won't Run on ATI Mobility HD2600 512 Mb

Make sure you download the latest drivers for your video card, install them and try again.
12-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Find
Nephil Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Penumbra Overture Won't Run on ATI Mobility HD2600 512 Mb

Yes, I found an earlier thread on this problem, and actually I have the latest drivers I can find. Anyway, I have to use modified drivers such as DNA and Omega since my laptop is not designed for XP and Asus didn't make available ANY drivers for XP for this very computer.

By now I tried both DNA and Omega drivers and Penumbra doesn't work with neither. It crashes under DNA ones, and displays the vertex unsupported message under Omega. It is quite peculiar, though, because I installed and played literally a dozen of games, and none crashed, even those that didn't recognise my video card, such as Oblivion, which runs perfectly with all the video perks. What is it so special about Penumbra that it doesn't run here? Is there a solution?
12-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Penumbra uses OpenGL so that might be part of the problem.

Can you run games like Doom 3 or Prey?
12-17-2007, 07:28 AM
Find
Nephil Offline

Thomas Wrote:Penumbra uses OpenGL so that might be part of the problem.

Can you run games like Doom 3 or Prey?

Thanks for a nice game. These were the drivers, just as you suggested. I installed vista and finished the game in a couple of days. Now, however, I'm playing The Black Plague episode and I have a video problem. I'll ask about it in a separate post so that people who have the same problem could also read about it.
04-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Find