Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Who Also Does this...?
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
Who Also Does this...?

I found out that after a while of playing Amnesia, sometimes you're too used to the monsters, and/or you're just plain lazy to sneak by them. Another plus is that they usually don't respawn after your first death with them.

So sometimes, I just disregard the whole point behind the game, and run towards the monsters mentally yelling, "Take me bro!", so that I don't have to worry about sneaking past them.

Just curious who has also had this impulse. Also, in a more serious note, do you believe this to be more of a gameplay design error, or is it just the player's fault for not playing the game "as intended"?
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2012, 02:16 PM by Kreekakon.)
04-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20
RE: Who Also Does this...?

(04-08-2012, 02:16 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: I found out that after a while of playing Amnesia, sometimes you're too used to the monsters, and/or you're just plain lazy to sneak by them. Another plus is that they usually don't respawn after your first death with them.

So sometimes, I just disregard the whole point behind the game, and run towards the monsters mentally yelling, "Take me bro!", so that I don't have to worry about sneaking past them.

Just curious who has also had this impulse. Also, in a more serious note, do you believe this to be more of a gameplay design error, or is it just the player's fault for not playing the game "as intended"?
I hate when I die, because it makes me miss out on a monster. Amnesia is really easy on the player by design, never really demanding that he must finish a puzzle. A set difficulty setting would have been appreciated.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

04-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Find
RawkBandMan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 35

I do basically what you said, except I say "Come at me, bro!" Big Grin

I'm so used to being able to dodge the monsters that I am not afraid of them except for when they spawn unexpectedly like right around the corner from where I am or right in front of me or something like that.

I've come to learn to not fear the living, nor the dead... But the monsters that hide in closets.
04-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Find
Datguy5 Offline

Threads: 25

I almost always when there is a real monster,run towards him and yell KILL ME! XD

04-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Find
sMasl33t Offline

Threads: 4

I wish that Frictional Games will think about this in "A machine for pigs". It ruins the scariness alot. You could just run out like a brainless pig, get killed, respawn, and walk past like nothing's happend. Penumbra had different difficulties to choose from as the game started. I wish Frictional will take those back to their next Amnesia. Depending on which difficulty you have choosen, it could change if the monsters respawn upon death or if they don't, just a little idea I hope Frictional will take care of <3

[Image: 76561198049001305.png]
04-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Find
Juke Offline

Threads: 2

The game is what you make of it. If you feel like throwing caution to the winds and acting like nothing matters then the game isn't going to give you much of an experience. Like the developers point out in the beginning of the game you should not try to win but to immerse yourself in the game world. You could just as well flip that around and say you should not try to lose.
04-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

I haven't done this but I'm gonna try it next time I play through Amnesia.

If it's a design error or player error... well, I'll save that discussion for another day.
04-09-2012, 01:42 AM
Find
Gharren Offline

Threads: 1

I'd never do this, as it ruins the whole point of the game.
You're supposed to immerse yourself, not to "win" the game, as said before.
Dying with intention and safe respawn is almost like an exploit for me, a kind of "cheating" through the game. I play the game for fun and experience, not just to say "yeah, I made it"...
The "one death and you're out" thing in Justine was -in my opinion- a great solution to avoid this behaviour, but for obvious reasons they can't use this method the whole game. Hopefully they'll find another way in A Machine for Pigs.

Greetings,
Gharren

I'm a werewolf. Meow.
-----------
The Beauty of Nature.
-----------
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2012, 03:03 AM by Gharren.)
04-09-2012, 02:57 AM
Website Find
Datguy5 Offline

Threads: 25

But i do this only in custom stories.And rarely in the too.
When i first played the TDD i always got scared when something happened and i was too coward to kill myself Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2012, 06:18 AM by Datguy5.)
04-10-2012, 06:17 AM
Find
BlackMuffin Offline

Threads: 0

It completely kills my experience. I love the "OH SWEET JESUS WHAT THE FUCK" feeling I get whenever I see a monster, so just going "Lol kill me now." is kind of against what the game tries to do to you.

[Image: eb3f67a1-7a5c-42ad-842e-ae8267ecb2db.gif]
04-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Find