Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 2.93 Average
Challenge Threadᆦ ᆦ ᆦ
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23
RE: [CHALLENGE THREAD]

I really wanted to do this one :/ I never knew the maps go in maps/challenges/matchbox/maps
I just did maps/matchbox/maps

Have I got to do something in the resource config files? I really want to take part in this one because it's one I can do! (I made an electronic device a couple of years ago which finds a path by following light)

If it helps, the problem is when I load the map, none of the custom entities load, an error message shows, and I'm left with two planes and a start position. (like the picture on the page 9.)

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2012, 10:52 PM by DRedshot.)
04-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

Mine is basically done. It uses a simplified version of A*!

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
04-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Find
Homicide13 Offline

Threads: 41

(04-17-2012, 10:52 PM)DRedshot Wrote: I really wanted to do this one :/ I never knew the maps go in maps/challenges/matchbox/maps
I just did maps/matchbox/maps

Have I got to do something in the resource config files? I really want to take part in this one because it's one I can do! (I made an electronic device a couple of years ago which finds a path by following light)

If it helps, the problem is when I load the map, none of the custom entities load, an error message shows, and I'm left with two planes and a start position. (like the picture on the page 9.)
Well it doesn't have to go in maps/challenges/matchbox, that's just where I work out of. It can really go anywhere in the maps folder.

Are you sure you have the corrected version? The first version I posted didn't work, so try downloading it again if you hadn't already.

Also, make sure you don't move anything out of the matchbox_maze_dist folder. Just extract the .zip file to wherever you want to work from and start working.

04-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

I solved it on my end too. I'm guessing my method is pretty much the same as Apjjm's. The solution is the same for all maps for me, so i don't really see the point in duplicating the script for each map. Maybe if we had to make the box jump or something i'd go further than the first map.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
04-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Website Find
Homicide13 Offline

(04-17-2012, 11:33 PM)Your Computer Wrote: The solution is the same for all maps for me, so i don't really see the point in duplicating the script for each map.
Wait what? Haha that was the point. >_< So people actually had to come up with an algorithm instead of just writing scripts that move the box a set distance and just switch directions depending on the map.

04-17-2012, 11:57 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

My solution is different, and probably incorrect, but I still believe it's usefull for educational purposes. I'll release it when it's over. It's based on A*.

I'm extra curious about the other solutions I havne't though of yet.

Also, I did not touch the map itself and it's not just a change direction prop force. It's an algorithm behind it.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2012, 12:07 AM by nemesis567.)
04-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(04-17-2012, 11:57 PM)Homicide13 Wrote: Wait what? Haha that was the point. >_< So people actually had to come up with an algorithm instead of just writing scripts that move the box a set distance and just switch directions depending on the map.

Coming up with an algorithm that can be applied to all three maps does not require testing beyond the first map. Just prevent the box from rotating as it is being pushed and you're golden.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
04-18-2012, 01:05 AM
Website Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

I still haven't figured out your method. The idea hasn't popped into my head yet.

04-18-2012, 01:35 AM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Isn't it time to reveal the winner? There are no more participants.

04-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Find
Homicide13 Offline

Isn't Dreadshot participating?

04-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Find