Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing monster voices
Damascus Offline

Threads: 118
Changing monster voices

I knew this would be no easy task, so I'll post everything I've done so far. I am trying to make an enemy with the suitor model that has a different voice. To test it out, I tried to replace only the sounds in which it actually talked. When I was finished, my own lines did play when it idled, but the suitor's original lines played at the same time too. It also only said its original lines while chasing and attacking.

Here's everything I've done so far:

--Copied the following files into my custom_stories folder under "entities/enemy/remnant": All files in the original "enemy_suitor" folder except for the alois, basile, and malo models. (I only kept enemy_suitor.ent) Replaced every "enemy_suitor" in the filename with "remnant."
--Copied the following files into my custom_stories folder under "sounds/enemy/remnant": All sound files in "sounds/ptest/enemy/suitor" for malo, leaving the files prefixed with basile and alois behind. All Malo lines from "lang/eng/ptest/voice."
--Renamed all lines with the "malo" prefix with "remnant."
--Edited every .snt file in my remnant folder to point toward my .ogg files. (For example, I changed "suitor/amb_alert01" to "remnant/amb_alert01", and changed "malo_discover_01" to "remnant_discover_01")
--Opened remnant.ent and changed every sound file indicated in its User Defined Variables to point toward my .snt files. The ones I saw were: AmbientSound_Idle, AmbientSound_Alert, AmbientSound_Hunt, NormalAttackHitSound, BreakDoorAttackHitSound, NoticeSound, EnabledSound

Clearly, it looks like I missed some obvious changed I needed to make, as several of the suitor's original lines keep playing. And like I said before, I tested it by only replacing .ogg files where the enemy actually talked.

Any tips for me?

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2012, 05:24 AM by Damascus.)
04-13-2012, 05:17 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: Changing monster voices

The sounds you didn't replace are the ones played for the animations of the entity.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
04-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Website Find
Damascus Offline

I went through and changed all the malo animation noises to my remnant ones, but then when I hit OK, it gives me an error

"Animations could not be saved due to errors (blank fields)." But, I didn't leave any fields blank... :/

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2012, 08:46 AM by Damascus.)
04-13-2012, 08:46 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

That's due to something with the step event. The step events don't have a listed time, and to my knowledge cannot be given one. Remove the step events and it should be saveable. If someone would want to mess around a little they could probably figure it out (how to add them) :>

Perhaps manually editing the .ent file through a text editor?

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

04-14-2012, 04:43 AM
Find
Damascus Offline

Alright, I was able to save everything just fine with that, but I'll have to test it tomorrow to see if all the sounds are working right. Thanks!

04-14-2012, 06:55 AM
Find
Damascus Offline

Well I tested it today and all the voice files carry over great. Thank you so much!

04-14-2012, 09:20 PM
Find