Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Justine overwrote user_settings.cfg
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20
Justine overwrote user_settings.cfg

You spend 15 minutes setting up a good dev environment, and then you just start up Justine to check something out, and it overwrites it (and user_keys.cfg) back to the default values.
Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Those files we're in the My Documents\Amnesia\Main\ folder! Why can't Justine just use a My Documents\Amnesia\Ptest\ folder?

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

04-15-2012, 11:51 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: Justine overwrote user_settings.cfg

why not just use the main game's settings?
04-16-2012, 12:59 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(04-15-2012, 11:51 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

Sure: Don't pick your development profile when launching Justine.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
04-16-2012, 01:08 AM
Website Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(04-16-2012, 12:59 AM)Statyk Wrote: why not just use the main game's settings?
Justine overwrote main_settings.cfg too, and if you didn't know, you need user_setting.cfg to set additional variables inside your player account. I can circumvent it through having backup files ready, but that shouldn't be necessary if I could somehow set some config vars for Justine.

(04-16-2012, 01:08 AM)Your Computer Wrote: Sure: Don't pick your development profile when launching Justine.
I guess Justine overwrites the config on purpose, doesn't it? ...to prevent you from cheating with things like quicksaving.

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2012, 01:14 AM by Cranky Old Man.)
04-16-2012, 01:12 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(04-16-2012, 01:12 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: I guess Justine overwrites the config on purpose, doesn't it? ...to prevent you from cheating with things like quicksaving.

I believe the inability to save your progress is built into Justine. If you look at the configuration files for Justine, you'll see that it actually uses TDD's default_user_settings.cfg which allows the user to save their progress. Yet, in Justine you cannot save your progress.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
04-16-2012, 01:22 AM
Website Find
Homicide13 Offline

Threads: 41

I keep two backup cfgs in my Amnesia folder - one for playing Amnesia normally and one for a dev environment.

I duno, I just copy and paste whenever I need to, it's fast and effective. But even if you need to reset everything, is it really that hard to just open the 3 files necessary and scan through them for things you want to change? I just did it in about a minute and a half. o.o

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2012, 06:44 AM by Homicide13.)
04-16-2012, 06:41 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(04-16-2012, 06:41 AM)Homicide13 Wrote: I keep two backup cfgs in my Amnesia folder - one for playing Amnesia normally and one for a dev environment.

I duno, I just copy and paste whenever I need to, it's fast and effective. But even if you need to reset everything, is it really that hard to just open the 3 files necessary and scan through them for things you want to change? I just did it in about a minute and a half. o.o
If you know for certain exactly which settings to change, then you can technically do it in a minute and a half, but I want to make darn sure that I have the ideal setup, so I read at least two tutorials about it before even trying. Settings are something that can bite you in the ass a long time after you've forgotten about them, in unpredictable ways, so I want to make sure that they're set absolutely right.

04-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Find
Dutton Offline

Threads: 3

(04-16-2012, 11:26 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: If you know for certain exactly which settings to change, then you can technically do it in a minute and a half, but I want to make darn sure that I have the ideal setup, so I read at least two tutorials about it before even trying. Settings are something that can bite you in the ass a long time after you've forgotten about them, in unpredictable ways, so I want to make sure that they're set absolutely right.
So true. My brother was messing around with his settings a few days ago. He just started messing around with mapping and stuff, and he liked the quicksave ability. Then suddently the game woudln't start.... took me hours to figure out that all i had to do was delete the main_settings.cfg file and the problem was solved :p

[Image: 15isy6C]
04-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Find