Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do people realy care about the story in custom storys?
jssjr90 Offline

Threads: 39
Do people realy care about the story in custom storys?

Ok so I was working on my custom story today and while I was anylizing the story part of my custom story, a thought came to my mind. Will people care enough about the story to its fullest, including finding the hidden secret tid bits? Meaning you half to put the puzzles together in your head to get an awnser you are looking for that a question may have arised while playing the custom story.

Now when my mod gets released sometime this year "The Hands That Resist Him" With in my story, the direy notes as well as normal notes might leave a question that may have arised. Some of the questions will be awnsered though the envirment, some will be awnserd by putting the puzzle of information together. With that saying, do you think people today will even care about that?

I think I work too hard on my custom story. I make self questions to my self to make sure no events that will conflict or make those plot holes. I make sure every question will be awnserd, some questions might take of some searching around though multiple notes to link them to find your awnser, but thats only the tid bit facts of events. But rest asured all the main question will be awnserd by just listing to the voice acting...which I have yet to get on to, becouse of im in the process of anylizing every single aspect of all the notes and voice acting lines to make sure it all fits and no plot holes what so ever. The main goal is to keep the player pondering that one question till the end that will be awnsered right at the end.

So with that saying, with all the hard work we put into our custom storys, think other people will care enough of the custom storys to its fullest?
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2012, 03:45 AM by jssjr90.)
04-17-2012, 03:45 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
RE: Do people realy care about the story in custom storys?

Depends on the person. But in general I'd say "no".
04-17-2012, 05:05 AM
Find
jssjr90 Offline

Ya I can agree on you on that. Most people will not care for the story when it comes to a custom story but more of the scares and somewhat atmosphere. Which to me I dont mind at all. Diffrent people will appreacheate diffrent aspects of a game. But I think we all should remember, when we make our custom storys we should be pround of the story that we made.
What are all your thoughts on how you feel of making your custom storys, like the making of your costom storys, where do you get your ideas? How do you feel when you are done with working on the custom story?
04-17-2012, 05:24 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Depends on what you're asking from yourself. Are you aiming to make your story a super detailed plot, or are you trying to make it a simple reason for why you do some things (This isn't a bad thing though). Look at what you initially want, and then go do it. Making games is/should be a form of art, and self-expression; do what you are seeking to express from yourself regardless of what you think the audience will think, and give it the amount of quality you believe the CS deserves.

Putting that aside...if the story is intriguing enough, I will want to pay attention to it, but this doesn't prove to be the same for everyone. Just look at Bioshock. I know some people who had no idea who Fontaine was until the big moment, but for people who are willing to pay attention, it's extremely rewarding.
04-17-2012, 05:26 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

It will make your story the most memorable. I can't even recall all of the bad jumpscare maps where you "wake up in a prison cell and don't know how you got there". The story is the glue that allows you to put maps, scares, and atmospheres together. Imagine if
(just bare with me) someone had never played the original Amnesia before , there would be no justification for the atmosphere or monsters you encounter in a custom story if there's no "story". You need to explain why things are happening to the player, how the player got there, and what their goal is (that being the bare minimum any map should include, but additional story would go great as well). You want to leave the player with something to think about after they've finished the map (Justine is a great example). I know I've only mentioned FG creations, but other ones to consider that pop into my mind are Insomnia and White Night.

Remember, they're called custom stories for a reason.
04-17-2012, 06:14 AM
Find
jssjr90 Offline

Funny thing is, that is the path im talking on my story, detaild story, if the reader pays attention, you get the reward of "ahh now I see" kind of thing. But we all know most of them wont give a darn. But as long as I can make 1 person care about the story, I am happy.
04-17-2012, 06:23 AM
Find
Carrna Offline

Threads: 0

I'm also quite sure that generally most of people won't be interested in the story. But I'd still ask you to make it as honed as you can.

Personally I've been really frustrated because of maps that are just full of jumpscares and even notes aren't written seriously. They just give me a feeling like they've been made in a hurry and/or haven't actually given any thought to.

Hell, I don't even understand how some people WANT to play games if there's no proper story. Story and characters are the most important things to me, and if either of those sucks I lose my interest and stop playing, no matter how awesome graphics or whatever else there is.

So, there's way too few properly made custom stories out there and it's just SAD. ._. Please make yours one of these rare exceptions that are made with care and thought and you'll have my eternal gratitude. Thank you.

~
04-17-2012, 06:37 AM
Website Find
jssjr90 Offline

I think it is safe to say that my custom story will be those rare moments in story telling. But, if peoples reaction are a bit well off on the negitive, I might understand but I do have a strong feeling that the story will intrest people enough for those who actuly care about story and pay attention, its just one of those pay attention type of storys.
04-17-2012, 07:18 AM
Find
Stepper321 Offline

Threads: 26

If it's a troll level, then no. By troll i mean random level. Now i'm making a troll level with a story. But it seriously is gonna be hilarious :p...
You will need to find the ultimate BANANA Big Grin!!11

Signature to awesome to be displayed.
04-17-2012, 07:59 AM
Find
jssjr90 Offline

If anyone is intrested, here is the custom story im currently working on, shows infro what the story is about and screen shots and a trailer. The Hands That Resist Him.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-hands-that-resist-him
04-17-2012, 08:03 AM
Find