Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the secret formula for scaring someone [No cheap scares!]
Damascus Offline

Threads: 118
RE: What is the secret formula for scaring someone [No cheap scares!]

(04-19-2012, 05:56 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: Ok, then here's what I think. I'll use SCP: Containment Breach as an example. It is one of the scariest games I've ever played, and here's why I think so:

1. The game is randomized everytime you play it. Not only does this increase re-play value, but it also makes the player not to know what to expect, keeping them on their toes. Regardless of whether your game is randomized everytime, this is important: Don't be predictable.
2. The art of anticipation, as stated before. Knowing SCP 173 is out there for you, but not knowing when he will strike makes the experience ultimately scarier.
3. SCP 173's "calmly" dangerous nature. The appearance of a seemingly calm thing makes it all scarier when the player still realizes that it's very dangerous. This aspect shares some elements with "fear of the unknown" in my opinion.
4. Ambient noises, and music can further intensify the player's fear coming from the anticipation.
Tangentally related, but I hope Containment Breach really moves forward. I loved the Gameplay, Graphics are the only thing that really bothered me, though I'm sure they'll improve. 173 seemed fakey, and when he came after me it was more frustrating than scary. If Containment Breach evolves to get the smooth graphics of SCP-087 and 087-B it will make me poo my pants.

04-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Find
Keeb Offline

Threads: 4

Kudos to Cranky for trolling and people not even realizing it.

[Image: sigpic81605_31.gif]
When life hands you lemons you make grape juice and then sit back and smile as everyone wonders how the hell you did it.
04-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(04-28-2012, 06:11 PM)Keeb Wrote: Kudos to Cranky for trolling and people not even realizing it.
We're all trolls here, pretending to like Amnesia and script. We don't actually script. The support just gives random advice to people who in turn pretend that their pretend scripts now work. Then we just rerelease Amnesia under a different name, and people pretend like it's a brand new custom story. We're not even into games. I'm a lumberjack myself, and Dan here is an olympic swimmer.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2012, 06:18 PM by Cranky Old Man.)
04-28-2012, 06:18 PM
Find
FragdaddyXXL Offline

The most effective are horror parts in non-horror games. As a 14 year-old, I was not prepared for Ravenholm way back when. Good 'ol HL2. :]

Dark Seclusion Here
04-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(04-29-2012, 02:40 PM)FragdaddyXXL Wrote: The most effective are horror parts in non-horror games. As a 14 year-old, I was not prepared for Ravenholm way back when. Good 'ol HL2. :]
I think they actually released Ravenholm before they even released HL2. It won an award for best zombie level in a game, or something. You did a good job staying away from spoilers, I guess.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

04-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Find
JenniferOrange Offline

Threads: 43

Atmosphere and sounds.
You can put absolutely NO monsters in your custom story, but make it dark as hell and add a few creepy ass sounds and I'll pee my pants. c:

Ba-da bing, ba-da boom.
04-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

(04-29-2012, 05:44 PM)JenniferOrange Wrote: Atmosphere and sounds.
You can put absolutely NO monsters in your custom story, but make it dark as hell and add a few creepy ass sounds and I'll pee my pants. c:
Amen to that

04-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

A good story also has to be creepy like, you are doing something you dont want to. Kill a man to get past something...

Or you watch something without having the ability to stop it.

And always: Anything unknown.

There is something, or is there?
Is it following me? Did i see it right there?
Am i imagening it?
What was that?

Trying is the first step to success.
05-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

(05-02-2012, 06:27 PM)beecake Wrote: A good story also has to be creepy like, you are doing something you dont want to. Kill a man to get past something...

Or you watch something without having the ability to stop it.

And always: Anything unknown.

There is something, or is there?
Is it following me? Did i see it right there?
Am i imagening it?
What was that?
Your last point, totally agree. Nothing you will see in game currently will amount to what fears you can conjure up with your mind, as long as you leave gaps to fill.

Case in point, when your going through the tunnels early on in Penumbra, when you first come across the dogs, when I got warned about how to deal with enemies, it was suggested that an enemy was around. With the utter darkness and the atmospheric music, when I heard the growling and didn't know what it was, I was terrified enough to fear-quit. Half a year later when my balls had dropped again, I went back and saw what it was, and promptly beat it to death with a hammer, and from then on could cope. Sadly it only took a few more hours for me to get stuck on a puzzle an quit again, because of which I still haven't gone back, so I never got another chance to be terrified by a new enemy.

The problem with having the player do something they don't want to, from a moral standpoint, such as kill an innocent human, is that you need to get the player emotionally involved with the world and the character, otherwise its not going to matter to them and it won't have the desired impact.

05-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

(04-30-2012, 01:09 PM)Adrianis Wrote:
(04-29-2012, 05:44 PM)JenniferOrange Wrote: Atmosphere and sounds.
Amen to that
I'd have to agree to that also, stop putting monsters all over your story. Everyone knows how to deal with them, or just flat out dies because they took a wrong turn.

Having the Player live in fear that a monster could pop up anywhere, anytime is more horrifying than having a real one chasing after them.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2012, 07:08 PM by Rapture.)
05-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Find