Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Multilingual version ?
TimBioSS Offline

Threads: 2
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Multilingual version ?

Hello Urkle.

I have a simple question concerning the translations. Where can we find them, and are they compatible with the Mac version ? A lot of people are worry about it.

(I was asked for translations after writting my article here : http://www.macgamezone.com/reaction/?id=4379&type=news).

For them, it seems that the lack of a localized version is a huge obstacle to buy the game. They're afraid of missing the richness of the story and the notes.

I'm waiting for further informations.
01-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Multilingual version ?

Hi, the French translation was done by the publisher so it is only available in the Windows retail version. It is not possible for us to sell the game with the translation, if you want the translation you would have to get the windows version and take the French.lang files from the config folder in redist.

There are might also be french translations of textures and voice, they are if so located in folders called lang_specific and voices in various places.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2008, 12:43 PM by jens.)
01-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Website Find
TimBioSS Offline

Damn. It's really annoying.
The publisher can't give you the rights for the Mac version, even if you explain the problem ?

I purchased the game but I won't pay two times, it's totally crazy.

Thanks for explanations.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2008, 12:58 PM by jens.)
01-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

I'm sorry, we are selling an english version of the game, our version of the game. It's what we have to sell, sorry but we have no means to offer a multilingual version.
01-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Website Find
mschmid Offline

Threads: 0

jens Wrote:I'm sorry, we are selling an english version of the game, our version of the game. It's what we have to sell, sorry but we have no means to offer a multilingual version.

Hi, I just played the demo and am downloading the full version right now. Great game!! Unfortunately I am on a very slow connection far from home. That leaves me time to poke around.

I found in config a file called English.lang which is text only file. Is it possible to translate the text there and have a localized version? At least for text messages!
I am glad to help out with a german translation, maybe others for other languages?

cheers
Michael
01-12-2008, 08:05 AM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70

mschmid Wrote:
jens Wrote:I'm sorry, we are selling an english version of the game, our version of the game. It's what we have to sell, sorry but we have no means to offer a multilingual version.

Hi, I just played the demo and am downloading the full version right now. Great game!! Unfortunately I am on a very slow connection far from home. That leaves me time to poke around.

I found in config a file called English.lang which is text only file. Is it possible to translate the text there and have a localized version? At least for text messages!
I am glad to help out with a german translation, maybe others for other languages?

cheers
Michael

You'll find this is much easier to accomplish this task by using the HPLhelper (found in the modding section)

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
01-12-2008, 08:17 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

mschmid Wrote:I found in config a file called English.lang which is text only file. Is it possible to translate the text there and have a localized version? At least for text messages!

It is indeed possible, for the original tech demo we have 10-15 user created translations! So if you are up for it you can translate the text and save a copy as Deutch.lang in the config folder and then you can select it when running the game.

There is a tool to use for this, but it is only available for Windows. On a mac use a pure text editor to make sure no odd special signs or other information is added to the file, this means do NOT use MS Word rather use a text editor like Smultron(free).
01-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Website Find
TimBioSS Offline

After finishing the game, i'll also release a french translation of the game. Wink
01-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Find
TimBioSS Offline

Ok, I've resolved some problem with ASCII encoding by simply changing it to UTF-8.
All the inventory is now translated, and the first room too (there's a lot of text, i'm really surprised of the richness of Penumbra). Because it's my own translation, you're authorized to release it publicly. I think french people will appreciate it. I keep you informed about the progress.

For interested people :

1 - Allez dans le dossier Penumbra, puis dans le dossier config.
2 - Renommer le fichier English.lang en "Original.lang".
3 - Puis mettez le fichier English.txt que vous avez téléchargé dans le même dossier.
4 - Renommez ce fichier en English.lang

Maintenant, vous avez Penumbra en Français (enfin, juste le début, je suis loin d'avoir fini).
01-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

TimBioSS:
There should be no need to rename the lang file. You should just be able to add new lang file in the config directory and be able to pick the new language in Options->Game. If that does not work u can change language in settings..cfg (not default_settings.cfg).
01-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Find