Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Are you interested in helping me with the scripting? You'll be credited
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
25.00%
1 25.00%
No
75.00%
3 75.00%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for Somebody to Script my Custom Story for Me
ResidentEddy Offline

Threads: 2
Sad  Looking for Somebody to Script my Custom Story for Me

I know it doesn't seem impossible to script, but no matter what I do and how hard I listened to every tutorial on SCRIPTING, nothing apparently works and ultimately, my custom story won't even show up for a test run on the list. Creating the rooms, keys, knowing which door swings to another room and which door goes to next level, I can do. But the freaking scripts are an essential and frankly the only thing I can do on the scripting is setting up the documents. I'd ask somebody else nearby or via email to do it for me, but as far as I know the people I have connections with either don't know what Amnesia is, how to script, or even care.

Long story short: I can create levels, but I can't script, and can't find anybody else to do it for me. I'm reduced to even thinking about hiring somebody to do it for me, but I don't think I can repay much... I guess my custom story's scrapped for the time being. Sorry about this rant, but I really need assistance on scripting.

(on a side note: The main story gets stuck at the part where there's a blue light [in this case the blue light never shows up and therefore I'm stuck in limbo])
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2012, 03:39 AM by ResidentEddy.)
04-21-2012, 03:35 AM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23
RE: Looking for Somebody to Script my Custom Story for Me

For your second point, I think it's your graphics card. Your not the only person who's had this problem.
To carry on with the story go here:
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-4825.html
download the save games and drag the one just after the blue light sequence into your documents>amnesia>main>*YourName*>

04-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Find
Twitchez Offline

Threads: 17

I know that it can be really hard to start scripting, now I program just about anything I like but in the beginning I couldn't even make my map show in the Amnesia start menu lol. Heck, I was about to throw my computer out from my second floor when I couldn't get it working.

It's just a matter of getting into it and trying until it works. Once you get the somewhat hang of it, you will learn so much faster than in the beginning. Having somebody to ask things you don't know on both Skype and the forums helps, and people here tend to be very friendly about Newbie questions (that say, if you searched you question first Wink ).
04-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Find
JenniferOrange Offline

Threads: 43

Will any of us script the entire thing for you? No.
Will any of us assist you and help you with questions or problems? Absolutely! You should really try it out on your own. JetlinerX and his buddy Seth didn't make The Attic without asking the forum (and myself) 7,000 questions. We are all happy to help you. :] I think you can do it.
Try watching YouTubers play custom stories. When an awesome scare or event happens that you like, download the story and browse through the .hps files. It's how I learned a lot of new things.. haha.
Pretty much, an extremely small small small handful of us are super professionals. Those include the moderators and the creators of Amnesia. We all have questions, we all learn new things everyday. None of us judge. (well, some do but we'll pretend they don't exist.) Warning: make sure you use the search bar before posting new threads. Some people get butt hurt about it. ;] Good luck!

Ba-da bing, ba-da boom.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2012, 03:31 AM by JenniferOrange.)
04-23-2012, 03:25 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

If your unable to script yourself, I'd take a breather and not try to release or seriously work on a CS just yet. Play around, take some time off Amensia and come back later. You may find yourself more adept at learning the second time around.
04-23-2012, 03:28 AM
Find
Strembitsky Offline

Threads: 37

^That is an extremely good point. I remember back in the Warcraft III days when I was very young, but I wanted to make maps, and I couldn't make triggers or anything for the life of me. I came back about a year later, with patience and a better mind in general. Today, I am an expert with that map editor, and am still extremely popular amongst those servers.

It was similar with the HPL Editor. I sucked with it and gave up as soon as I learned that you needed to script. I came back a month later, and now I can use it well and efficiently.

The Nightmares v1.0 - Dreadful Fires WIP
04-23-2012, 03:37 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

(04-23-2012, 03:37 AM)Strembitsky Wrote: ^That is an extremely good point. I remember back in the Warcraft III days when I was very young, but I wanted to make maps, and I couldn't make triggers or anything for the life of me. I came back about a year later, with patience and a better mind in general. Today, I am an expert with that map editor, and am still extremely popular amongst those servers.

It was similar with the HPL Editor. I sucked with it and gave up as soon as I learned that you needed to script. I came back a month later, and now I can use it well and efficiently.
I love Warcraft 3 and I never learned to do triggers, even to this day. Map making was alot of fun though.

04-23-2012, 03:57 AM
Find
Mine Turtle Offline

Threads: 32

(04-21-2012, 03:35 AM)ResidentEddy Wrote: I know it doesn't seem impossible to script, but no matter what I do and how hard I listened to every tutorial on SCRIPTING, nothing apparently works and ultimately, my custom story won't even show up for a test run on the list. Creating the rooms, keys, knowing which door swings to another room and which door goes to next level, I can do. But the freaking scripts are an essential and frankly the only thing I can do on the scripting is setting up the documents. I'd ask somebody else nearby or via email to do it for me, but as far as I know the people I have connections with either don't know what Amnesia is, how to script, or even care.

Long story short: I can create levels, but I can't script, and can't find anybody else to do it for me. I'm reduced to even thinking about hiring somebody to do it for me, but I don't think I can repay much... I guess my custom story's scrapped for the time being. Sorry about this rant, but I really need assistance on scripting.

(on a side note: The main story gets stuck at the part where there's a blue light [in this case the blue light never shows up and therefore I'm stuck in limbo])
i really doubt youve tried everything. most of the time when you get errors, its most likely because youve missed out on a "(" or a ";" at the end of a command inside a "void" function. its really not that difficult. if you need some assistance i can show you around the basic stuff that i know of (nothing incredibly fancy, only basic script commands and timers n such (not stuff like "if-else" commands etc)).

[Image: 201107142327000.gif]
04-23-2012, 07:36 AM
Find