Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Specular Maps Only Make Things Brighter?
Krymtel Offline

Threads: 9
Information  Specular Maps Only Make Things Brighter?

Is there any way to have specular maps make things dimmer in Amnesia? It seems that the specular map is additive only and only makes things brighter, rather than have black to not reflect light and white to reflect light perfectly.

Thanks.

[SOLVED] - Hey guys, I went with YourComputer's suggestion of dimming down light sources. The problem was that one light source had to be changed in the ModelEditor since the light was confined within the entity. Thanks for your help Big Grin

Eidolon Total Conversion (WIP)
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2012, 09:08 PM by Krymtel.)
04-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67
RE: Specular Maps Only Make Things Brighter?

You could bake an ambient occlusion map onto your diffuse. HPL2 needs a lot of shading detail done directly on the diffuse map. There's no way I know of for using a specular to darken a texture.

04-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

You could just reduce the value of the specular map and even the lighting of the level.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
04-24-2012, 11:05 PM
Website Find
Krymtel Offline

(04-24-2012, 08:59 PM)palistov Wrote: You could bake an ambient occlusion map onto your diffuse. HPL2 needs a lot of shading detail done directly on the diffuse map. There's no way I know of for using a specular to darken a texture.
My worry isn't actually darkening the texture, but rather having light not reflect off certain parts. It's basically a wall with a greyish wallpaper, however the grey reflects a lot of light. I don't want it to do that, but there's no way to dim the reflection amount that I know of. Thanks for the response.
(04-24-2012, 11:05 PM)Your Computer Wrote: You could just reduce the value of the specular map and even the lighting of the level.
The thing is, when the specular map is all black, rather than not reflecting any light at all, the amount of light reflected does not change. It's as if the specular map is an additive layer on top of what light is already reflected by default, which is inconvenient. In most games and such, having a specular map to be fully black would mean the texture would not reflect light at all, which gives modders more control over how textures look with lighting. Evening the lighting of the level is something I've tried, but even with dim light sources, the wall reflects more light than I would expect it to... Thanks for the help though Smile

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2012, 08:08 PM by Krymtel.)
04-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Find
lllDash Offline

Threads: 12

Can you send us a screenshot? if your using Windows 7 disable full screen mode, restart game, and press "PrintScreen" to capture the image. I ran into things like that very often but managed to prevent stuff like that from happening....but I need to see it first.
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2012, 08:16 PM by lllDash.)
04-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Find
Krymtel Offline

(04-25-2012, 08:12 PM)lllDash Wrote: Can you send us a screenshot? if your using Windows 7 disable full screen mode, restart game, and press "PrintScreen" to capture the image. I ran into things like that very often but managed to prevent stuff like that from happening....but I need to see it first.
I know how to take a screenshot Tongue I'll take it now hold on...

Edit: Never mind, just tweaked some stuff around and it looks alright. Sorry to waste your time!

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2012, 09:09 PM by Krymtel.)
04-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Find