Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Umh... Yea, is this greedy? And am I allowed to?
neocrawler Offline

Threads: 19
Umh... Yea, is this greedy? And am I allowed to?

Heey Frictional Games.
I was kinda wodering. Are people allowed to make a custom story. And put it on the internet for a Cash Value. Like a half a euro or something. I know this question is kinda greedy. And before people are gonna ask:'Dude don't you enjoy the making of the maps. Isn't it allready anough to have other people having anjoy your map'.
Yes I enjoy the making of it alot. But still its like you work months of scripting a levelediting. For no reason, how ever this is really good practice for going into the the game media world lol :/. And ofcourse I am really happy Frictional Games did let people having advance of there HPLengine. And I know there's copyright on. But still I was wondering if its allowed to make a low price value on the maps. Because if it was. I could make some moneys with it to buy so software to go get more started into this world ( Game Art - Development ). And so I can go try alot of modding into Amnesia instead of just a couple of things if you know what I mean. I allways try the maps to having them looking good :). Because I hate it by myself when its not. And yes I know, if I would start make a new scape and scaling of the map. Whole new arts and monsters. It will be a fail. Because I havent learned for it yet. And I'm more into the Developing side lol.
Anyway Greets NeoCrawler,
I don't hope this question bothers to much :/

1 map in progress, and alot in ma mind
The reason for why we live. Is to experience death.

05-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Website Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: Umh... Yea, is this greedy? And am I allowed to?

Because you do not own any of the content in amnesia, no this wouldn't be legal.
05-05-2012, 01:11 AM
Find
Leeeyam Offline

Threads: 22

(05-05-2012, 01:08 AM)neocrawler Wrote: But still its like you work months of scripting a levelediting. For no reason, how ever this is really good practice
It's not for no reason, you make maps because you like doing it, you like people playing what you created, you like the sense of achievement after conquering an entire storyline for people to play, and it's even more rewarding after putting all of your effort into it, you get good reviews, plenty of people playing your map, even let's players making videos, that alone is a reason of worth.

05-05-2012, 01:18 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(05-05-2012, 01:08 AM)neocrawler Wrote: I know this question is kinda greedy.

It's also wishful thinking.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
05-05-2012, 01:19 AM
Website Find
neocrawler Offline

Threads: 19

Okay thats true to you guys Smile. I make the videos by my own aswell XD its funny. Anyway u guys proberly right ^^. Thanks for replying Big Grin And for you guys if u want make money with mapping. Go download CryEngine3 Demo. Cryteck Gave permission to that XD. You will have to let them check when u finished ur map/game in the engine ^^ Tongue but still. So if ur intressted
PHP Code: (Select All)
http://mycryengine.com/ 
. But its way boringer as amnesia mapping ^_-!
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2012, 03:08 AM by neocrawler.)
05-05-2012, 03:02 AM
Website Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

Short answer: No, you can't get paid.
Long answer: Yes, you can get paid if you are a developer so award-winning that Frictional Games themselves are willing to co-develop the custom story with you, and presumably share the profits with you as well. So far this has happened once (with A Machine For Pigs). You'd have to speak to FG about it, but I believe that most developers would just be wasting their time doing so.
Here's an idea: If you're a less skilled developer, try to assemble other developers who would also like to make a buck, and pitch the idea to FG of making a sort of Humble Indie Bundle thing. Ten mediocre stories could be just as worth paying for as a great one. Then again, there are good stories out for free, so I don't think that there's a shortage of them.
Also, I don't trust developers who does it for the money.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

05-05-2012, 03:14 AM
Find
Sikktwizted Offline

Threads: 1

I think you can still make money off of it if you only ask for donations for the work you do, but ya actually making people pay for the mod without permission would be illegal.
05-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Find