Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

have a look.
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: have a look.

(05-06-2012, 03:01 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: Honestly, you can't blame PDP, he never asked for people to make him crappy maps.

He may not have asked for crappy maps, but he certainly did ask for people to make him custom stories. He also asked for custom stories that aren't so story based, and given the way he advertises his own videos, the kind of custom "stories" made for him are expected. He can definitely be blamed for it, but i don't really care if those "stories" are made for whatever reason.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2012, 07:44 AM by Your Computer.)
05-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Website Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(05-06-2012, 03:01 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: Honestly, you can't blame PDP, he never asked for people to make him crappy maps (for the record, I am definitely not a "bro").
To tie into what Your Computer is saying: A GOOD PewDiePie map, would include Stephano being available for carrying around and being talked to, no notes (because he never reads those) but any short messages should be signed "Martin", and a plot where barrels are behind everything.
That's what PewDiePie LIKES.
Oh, and nothing too scary either, because that makes PewDiePie feel scared, and feel less awesome "like a boss".

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

05-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(05-06-2012, 07:49 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(05-06-2012, 03:01 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: Honestly, you can't blame PDP, he never asked for people to make him crappy maps (for the record, I am definitely not a "bro").
To tie into what Your Computer is saying: A GOOD PewDiePie map, would include Stephano being available for carrying around and being talked to, no notes (because he never reads those) but any short messages should be signed "Martin", and a plot where barrels are behind everything.
Oh, and nothing too scary either, because that makes PewDiePie feel scared, and feel less awesome "like a boss".
K got it, brb. Gonna make a custom story hastily constructed in 10-15 minutes that will have flying naked people, barrels, and terrible level construction that consists of having mansion base floors, dungeon base walls, and castle base ceilings. O, and I'll include the upside down hanging prisoner and those blue torches that are always out of place, overlord Pewdie will be forced to notice them!

Sarcasm. Have you noticed it yet? Sadly, that's 60-80% of custom stories made for him. Actually, scratch that; that is a majority of all custom stories nowadays.

I rate it 3 memes.
05-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Find
JMFStorm Offline

Threads: 8

This thread is telling the truth. I think 90% of custom stories I find on the showcase are a total waste of time. Also the Custom Stories, TCs & Mods page is s***tons full of hopeless let's players, who just only cares for themselves and subscribers. I think this is a big problem in the Amnesia community and it just can't be fixed. As soon as I get Chapter Two released, I'm going to leave these forums and never come back here again. (Unless for Machine For Pigs).

05-06-2012, 08:23 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(05-06-2012, 08:22 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote:
K got it, brb. Gonna make a custom story hastily constructed in 10-15 minutes that will have flying naked people, barrels, and terrible level construction that consists of having mansion base floors, dungeon base walls, and castle base ceilings. O, and I'll include the upside down hanging prisoner and those blue torches that are always out of place, overlord Pewdie will be forced to notice them!

Sarcasm. Have you noticed it yet? Sadly, that's 60-80% of custom stories made for him. Actually, scratch that; that is a majority of all custom stories nowadays.
I'm just saying that technically PewDiePie can very much be held personally responsible for these stories, because not even good PewDiePie maps are good Amnesia maps. They might be good HPL2 maps, but that's different.
As for the number of them, like I said, hastily made maps can be made more often, while ambitious artists instead often give up on their projects before their completion. I can make 2 The Closet maps a day if I wanted to, or maybe 10 if I put some effort into it, but I can't crank out 1 good story a month even if I want to.

05-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(05-06-2012, 08:30 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(05-06-2012, 08:22 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote:
(05-06-2012, 03:01 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote:
I'm just saying that technically PewDiePie can very much be held personally responsible for these stories, because not even good PewDiePie maps are good Amnesia maps. They might be good HPL2 maps, but that's different.
As for the number of them, like I said, hastily made maps can be made more often, while ambitious artists instead often give up on their projects before their completion. I can make 2 The Closet maps a day if I wanted to, or maybe 10 if I put some effort into it, but I can't crank out 1 good story a month even if I want to.
rant activated!

Believe it or not, HPL2 map creation is an art. In fact, it combines all the major aspects of common art (writing, paintings or art, music) because it has to tell a story, promote a sense of insecurity and so on. The reason I'm saying this is because I have personally (and I think its safe to assume a lot of other people on the FG forums as well) have come to a sort of Amnesia "writer's block" after making so many maps or working on their story for x amount of time. I made 11 detailed map (and when I say detailed I don't mean entities from the ornaments tab like most CS creators just throw in willy-nilly, I actually mean proper use of decals, billboards, particle systems, sounds effects, the whole shebang), but over time the story line became so uninteresting to me and I lost majority of my inspiration to keep pushing forward.

My point is, I think most of the best creators fall into that slump while the amateurs dish out 10-15 minute CS every few days or so. This explains the influx of bad maps, and the rarity of good ole' fashion Amnesia style horror-filled masterpieces.

rant over.

I rate it 3 memes.
05-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(05-06-2012, 08:47 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote:
(05-06-2012, 08:30 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: I'm just saying that technically PewDiePie can very much be held personally responsible for these stories, because not even good PewDiePie maps are good Amnesia maps. They might be good HPL2 maps, but that's different.
rant activated!

Believe it or not, HPL2 map creation is an art. In fact, it combines all the major aspects of common art (writing, paintings or art, music) because it has to tell a story, promote a sense of insecurity and so on. The reason I'm saying this is because I have personally (and I think its safe to assume a lot of other people on the FG forums as well) have come to a sort of Amnesia "writer's block" after making so many maps or working on their story for x amount of time. I made 11 detailed map (and when I say detailed I don't mean entities from the ornaments tab like most CS creators just throw in willy-nilly, I actually mean proper use of decals, billboards, particle systems, sounds effects, the whole shebang), but over time the story line became so uninteresting to me and I lost majority of my inspiration to keep pushing forward.

My point is, I think most of the best creators fall into that slump while the amateurs dish out 10-15 minute CS every few days or so. This explains the influx of bad maps, and the rarity of good ole' fashion Amnesia style horror-filled masterpieces.

rant over.
Yes, just as it takes time, it also takes effort and inspiration to make good maps, but effort and inspiration can be overcome by "not getting ahead of oneself": By starting small and then gradually expanding only when or if, you're ready for something new. Don't start drawing up schematics for The Ultimate Endless Fortress while you're making a simple basement, or you will scatter your mind and planning all over the place and never even finish the basement. There's no rush. Map while mapping feels fun.
Time, on the other hand, is a factor that can not be circumvented. 1 month is a minimum time, and from that timeframe you can only add things (like school and social life).

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2012, 09:05 AM by Cranky Old Man.)
05-06-2012, 09:05 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

VVVVVVVV
(05-06-2012, 08:22 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: and terrible level construction that consists of having mansion base floors, dungeon base walls, and castle base ceilings. O, and I'll include the upside down hanging prisoner and those blue torches that are always out of place
^^^^^^^
FUCKING THIS.

Posting Freak
05-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Website Find
bobbo Offline

Threads: 1

Agreed, it's looking horrible in the Showcase and every time another kid announces his own Let's-play-channel with videos that mostly consist of talking to lifeless objects a puppy dies.
But you won't be able to stop it since obviously there's a somewhat huge fanbase around this stuff. Maybe it would help to create a sub-category in the Showcase for this stuff - hoping the authors will be mature enough to post their stuff only in there.
05-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

I haven't actually played any custom stories at all, this thread makes me feel like I've made the right choice.
05-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Find