Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where To Begin?
Sikktwizted Offline

Threads: 1
Where To Begin?

Alright so I got the editor and what not, and I am really interested in making my own maps for my friends and the public, but I really have no clue where to start learning or where to begin. I know pretty much all the events that take place on your map that are scary have to do with scripted code and all that, but I have no idea how to do any of that. I was curious where I should start learning all the ropes, and where I can learn advanced things for later use.

I've checked into a lot of things already. I'm starting to get the hang of general mapping, and I have a basic idea of what I want to do, just no knowledge of how to do it. Any tips you guys can give me would also be highly appreciated. I might ask questions in here as well, if you guys would answer them I would highly appreciate it. Thanks!

Edit: I've also checked out the wiki but the wiki has a giant plethora of information that is kind of hard to follow at times. If anyone has tutorials that start out basic and get up to advanced that would be just fantastic.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2012, 04:34 AM by Sikktwizted.)
05-07-2012, 04:17 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20
RE: Where To Begin?

Here you go: From Noob to Pro

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

05-07-2012, 05:07 AM
Find
Sikktwizted Offline

(05-07-2012, 05:07 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: Here you go: From Noob to Pro
Wow, thanks a lot man!
05-07-2012, 05:25 AM
Find
Sikktwizted Offline

Ok so I am a bit curious. Are the void parts of the script basically category separators for different stuff?
05-07-2012, 06:55 AM
Find
SilentStriker Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 26

void is used every time you call a new function Smile

05-07-2012, 07:00 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(05-07-2012, 07:00 AM)SilentStriker Wrote: void is used every time you call a new function Smile

... that doesn't return a value.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
05-07-2012, 07:03 AM
Website Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(05-07-2012, 06:55 AM)Sikktwizted Wrote: Ok so I am a bit curious. Are the void parts of the script basically category separators for different stuff?
Void is something called a "data type specifier".
Functions are not just things that you pass parameters into. They can also create parameters themselves - so called "return values", using for example "return (value);", but while the value can vary, you have to specify what data type it will be, in the beginning of the function declaration. "Void" is the exception. "Void" means that the function won't return any parameter values at all.

Edit:
There needs to be a new expression for when somebody gets ninjad, but provides a much better reply, rendering the first replies obsolete. You've both been "samuraied". Tongue

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2012, 07:09 AM by Cranky Old Man.)
05-07-2012, 07:03 AM
Find
Sikktwizted Offline

(05-07-2012, 07:03 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(05-07-2012, 06:55 AM)Sikktwizted Wrote: Ok so I am a bit curious. Are the void parts of the script basically category separators for different stuff?
Void is something called a "data type specifier".
Functions are not just things that you pass parameters into. They can also create parameters themselves - so called "return values", using for example "return (value);", but while the value can vary, you have to specify what data type it will be, in the beginning of the function declaration. "Void" is the exception. "Void" means that the function won't return any parameter values at all.

Edit:
There needs to be a new expression for when somebody gets ninjad, but provides a much better reply, rendering the first replies obsolete. You've both been "samuraied". Tongue
So would I be correct in saying that it is similar to an empty command then?
05-07-2012, 07:09 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(05-07-2012, 07:09 AM)Sikktwizted Wrote: So would I be correct in saying that it is similar to an empty command then?
More like an empty output declaration. If you would just write the function name, the parser would instead interpret it as a function call, not a function declaration.

05-07-2012, 07:13 AM
Find