Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can someone take a look?
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20
RE: Can someone take a look?

(05-12-2012, 02:43 AM)Cocomunches Wrote: But of course I ask when I need help. You can choose not to help.
I am helping you. Once you understand the basics, you'll understand what's wrong with the line I showed you. You're treating programming as if it's magic that you learn from forum wizards.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

05-12-2012, 02:46 AM
Find
Cocomunches Offline

Threads: 6

(05-12-2012, 02:46 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(05-12-2012, 02:43 AM)Cocomunches Wrote: But of course I ask when I need help. You can choose not to help.
I am helping you. Once you understand the basics, you'll understand what's wrong with the line I showed you. You're treating programming as if it's magic that you learn from forum wizards.
Programming is pretty magic to be honest! and I've met quite a few Forum wizards that looked at the script and helped me. so yes, I do learn from forum wizards.
05-12-2012, 02:51 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(05-12-2012, 02:51 AM)Cocomunches Wrote:
Programming is pretty magic to be honest! and I've met quite a few Forum wizards that looked at the script and helped me. so yes, I do learn from forum wizards.
...and what are you going to do when they all get fed up with correcting your code every day? If you won't bother to learn it yourself, then you're abusing the forum support, to the point when you won't get any support, no matter how stuck you are.

05-12-2012, 03:00 AM
Find
Cocomunches Offline

(05-12-2012, 03:00 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
...and what are you going to do when they all get fed up with correcting your code every day? If you won't bother to learn it yourself, then you're abusing the forum support, to the point when you won't get any support, no matter how stuck you are.
I am trying to learn it my self, just because I am rusty does not mean I am not trying. I posted this for someone to tell me what I was doing wrong so I would know in the future. I'm sorry that helping new people out is a terrible sin.
05-12-2012, 03:06 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(05-12-2012, 03:06 AM)Cocomunches Wrote:
I am trying to learn it my self, just because I am rusty does not mean I am not trying. I posted this for someone to tell me what I was doing wrong so I would know in the future. I'm sorry that helping new people out is a terrible sin.
Beginners to scripting - "new people" - start with a manual or a tutorial, and once they've gone through that, they have enough understanding to know roughly what a function declaration looks like, and what a semicolon means. You're not "rusty". You're clueless. Learn about the basics and try to solve the problem with a simple manual or tutorial, before you ask for help. That's why people write tutorials: So that they won't have to explain the basics.

05-12-2012, 03:14 AM
Find
Cocomunches Offline

(05-12-2012, 03:14 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(05-12-2012, 03:06 AM)Cocomunches Wrote:
(05-12-2012, 02:46 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: I am helping you. Once you understand the basics, you'll understand what's wrong with the line I showed you. You're treating programming as if it's magic that you learn from forum wizards.
Beginners to scripting - "new people" - start with a manual or a tutorial, and once they've gone through that, they have enough understanding to know roughly what a function declaration looks like, and what a semicolon means. You're not "rusty". You're clueless. Learn about the basics and try to solve the problem with a simple manual or tutorial, before you ask for help. That's why people write tutorials: So that they won't have to explain the basics.
I'm clueless, yes. But the other people I've met on here helped me out instead of wasting my time by complaining about how I am asking people to look at my script to see if there are any problems. You know you don't have to reply on all of this if all you want to do is complain, you could just shake your head and shut your mouth and let the others help me out.

I've asked a lot of people to add me on messengers so I could send them my scripts and let them scan it for problems and they were happy to help me, they didn't sit there and tell me to just go read or watch tutorials, because I obviously do. So please just leave this thread, I'll study up on my scripting for you to make your miserable life better.
05-12-2012, 03:21 AM
Find