Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Lovecraft Maps?
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
Question  Lovecraft Maps?

I was trying, and failing, to find online any maps of the towns in the Lovecraft Universe. In particular the Severn Valley towns such as Goatswood. Does anyone here know where I can fins such maps?
05-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Find
SilentStriker Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 26
RE: Lovecraft Maps?

You can always read some lovecraft and come up with your own imagination of how the towns/town look like Smile

05-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(05-15-2012, 05:06 PM)SilentStriker Wrote: You can always read some lovecraft and come up with your own imagination of how the towns/town look like Smile
Thank you, I hadn't thought of that. Since I can't find a map but want to be true to a Lovecraft town, I can always read the story that has it. Thanks again Smile
05-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

Innsmouth would always be a fun one Smile course theres already a Call of Cthulu game based on the shadow over innsmouth story (which, as a fan, i was a little miffed about). Its sposed to have some very good qualities if more than its fair share of technical issues to compensate for that good
05-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(05-15-2012, 06:35 PM)Adrianis Wrote: Innsmouth would always be a fun one Smile course theres already a Call of Cthulu game based on the shadow over innsmouth story (which, as a fan, i was a little miffed about). Its sposed to have some very good qualities if more than its fair share of technical issues to compensate for that good
Hadn't thought of Innsmouth, though I only know of two or three towns. Not sure what's in Innsmouth, but sounds fun to try! I figured a custom story in a Lovecraft town would be fun. My current story that I'm making doesn't use Innsmouth, but a (I think small) town called [Spoiler] Goatswood.

As the story designer I do have the choice of making the town to look as I want it. However, if I can, I would like it to match the description of this town. I don't have an idea what it is supposed to look like.
05-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

Well, as I say its from the Lovecraft story Shadow over Innsmouth. Really its not the towns that makes Lovecrafts stories so good though, its the common mythology between them. I wouldn't say any town particularly stands out, its just the events that happen that stand out. Innsmouth stands out to me because that story is, in my opinion, the best
05-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(05-15-2012, 08:29 PM)Adrianis Wrote: Well, as I say its from the Lovecraft story Shadow over Innsmouth. Really its not the towns that makes Lovecrafts stories so good though, its the common mythology between them. I wouldn't say any town particularly stands out, its just the events that happen that stand out. Innsmouth stands out to me because that story is, in my opinion, the best
I think I see what you're saying. I can make my own town with Lovecraft based/inspired events. Thank you.
05-15-2012, 08:48 PM
Find
ZyLogicX Offline

Threads: 24

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-9468.html
The Rock Worm, I think you already knew about my upcoming story the Cthulhu-mythos.
The thing that alot of people do not know, is that Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is only loosely based on H.P. Lovecraft's "The Shadow over Innsmouth." Devloping the game entirely based on the Shadow over Innsmouth would be a very strange and unattractive way of playing the game.

Beyond the Mountains of Madness [15%]
This forum is dying.
05-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(05-16-2012, 12:30 PM)ZyLogicX Wrote: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-9468.html
The Rock Worm, I think you already knew about my upcoming story the Cthulhu-mythos.
The thing that alot of people do not know, is that Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is only loosely based on H.P. Lovecraft's "The Shadow over Innsmouth." Devloping the game entirely based on the Shadow over Innsmouth would be a very strange and unattractive way of playing the game.
Sorry, I guess I forgot I had seen that. Real Life got a little crazy and took most of my time and attention. Any way I can help with this? I could PM you my story idea(s).
05-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

For Innsmouth, find a 19th-20th century (1800s-1900s) map of Newburyport, Massachusetts, but make it "more twisted".

Edit:

Goatswood wasn't created by Lovecraft, but by Ramsey Campbell. It is probably the most detailed mythos setting outside of Lovecraft Country itself.

The River Severn is an actual river in Wales and western England. Campbell's stories mention various real-world locales, including the Cotswold Hills, Berkeley, and the A38 road. These references place "Campbell Country" in the southern part of Gloucestershire, roughly between the cities of Gloucester and Bristol. This area is more correctly referred to as the Vale of Berkeley or the Severn Estuary; the real-world Severn Valley refers to an area around fifty miles (80 km) further north.

Note that I'm just quoting the Wikipedia article for Goatswood:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severn_Val..._Mythos%29

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2012, 04:44 PM by Cranky Old Man.)
05-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Find