Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom item not appearing for others
Damascus Offline

Threads: 118
Custom item not appearing for others

I've made a custom item for my story that is a bag of gold that acts as a non-stackable item. I made a new entity file in my custom story folder that changes the item type and give it an inventory image, and redirect the object in the level editor to it.

However, even though it works fine for me, when I send my custom story to other people, the bag of gold no longer appears. When they open my map in level editor it gives the error message "file index out of bounds." I've double and triple checked to make sure that the path leads to the entity file in the custom story folder and that it was packaged with the zip file I sent. But, it still won't appear for them. Anyone know what the problem might be?

05-18-2012, 08:13 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: Custom item not appearing for others

1) Have they added the "custom_stories" folder to their resources.cfg?
2) Have you checked to see if it loads in-game?
05-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

I remember when I was testing it, I saw the bag of gold. But alot of other stuff was missing, your using that 7-Zip right?

Call me crazy, but I swear whenever I get *missing things*, its because people used the 7-Zip. That's what I've been noticing over the past 6 months, but it could just be pure coincedence.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2012, 04:42 PM by Rapture.)
05-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Find
Damascus Offline

I'm not sure about that first one, but the gold loads in-game just fine for me, but not for someone else.

And no I'm not using 7-Zip, just WinZip. I just create a new ZIP archive in the custom stories folder and drag my whole custom story in there.

(This post was last modified: 05-19-2012, 06:44 PM by Damascus.)
05-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

In the root folder, open the "resources.cfg" and add this at the bottom of the directories:

<Directory Path="/custom_stories" AddSubDirs="true" />

It will allow the editors to read files from inside the custom_stories folder.

IF it still doesn't work, make sure your .map_caches are deleted. These are located where the maps are. If it still doesn't come up, let me know
05-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

I have had this happen due to the process I had of importing things previously. I created something placed it in a folder and made an .ent file. Then copied the object to where I wanted it to be. The .ent file was still pointing to the old location of my models. Perhaps the .msh or .ent points to a folder which only you have on your computer?

Open in notepad and have a look.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

05-20-2012, 02:16 AM
Find
Damascus Offline

(05-19-2012, 10:37 PM)Statyk Wrote: In the root folder, open the "resources.cfg" and add this at the bottom of the directories:

<Directory Path="/custom_stories" AddSubDirs="true" />

It will allow the editors to read files from inside the custom_stories folder.

IF it still doesn't work, make sure your .map_caches are deleted. These are located where the maps are. If it still doesn't come up, let me know
That line is already there, and I don't have any .map_caches, so that doesn't seem to be the problem.
(05-20-2012, 02:16 AM)Acies Wrote: I have had this happen due to the process I had of importing things previously. I created something placed it in a folder and made an .ent file. Then copied the object to where I wanted it to be. The .ent file was still pointing to the old location of my models. Perhaps the .msh or .ent points to a folder which only you have on your computer?

Open in notepad and have a look.
I checked my .ent file and it seems to pointing toward entities/item/coins_small/coins_small.dae, which should be on everyone's computer.

In case it does have to do with how you package custom stories, is there a preferred method people use that doesn't end up corrupting entities?

05-20-2012, 05:52 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

The engine will load all materials, objects, and sounds from the custom story folder. Have your TEAMMATES added the directory? You of course can see the object, so it's not much of an issue for you specifically.

As well, the .ent could be in your custom story folder, but read a texture and model from the root folders, so I don't believe that's the issue. Have you tried re-making the .ent? Perhaps make a backup of this one.
05-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Find