Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Dark Seclusion [With Scare Montage Vid]
FragdaddyXXL Offline

Threads: 20
RE: Dark Seclusion

(05-28-2012, 08:49 PM)Gaviao Wrote: the only bad thing in that custom story is that the lanter drains your oil moar faster... but the story IS AWESOME!!!
Yeah, I really didn't know how dramatic it was until I started making my next CS. I like it though, it rewards you for going through at a more brisk pace, and it actually makes you keep tabs on your oil.

But there are a few caches of items, you'll have plenty of tinderboxes and places to use them.

Dark Seclusion Here
06-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Find
pil Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Dark Seclusion [With Scare Montage Vid]

Here is my playthrough http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIC4iV2ba_U

I enjoyed this story, it was indeed harder due to the sanity drain (you'll see in part 2) and the lantern oil. I guess it balances out with finding so many oils. And yes I actually used tinderboxes. I know a lot of times they go un-used. Same with the sanity potions. Overall good story I really wish I had the binural audio but I'm not rich for that.

I did manage to beat the game rather quickly as shown in part 1, however I play the whole thing =D. Epic barrel manages to break the locked door. But that's not a glitch related to your custom story.
06-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Find
FragdaddyXXL Offline

I enjoyed your part 1 and am currently awaiting part 2. Big Grin

As for the binaural thing, it's referring to how the audio was recorded. If your computer can put out stereo, which it would be weird if it cannot, then you will be able to hear the samples to their full effect. The effect is at it's peak when wearing most headphones. There are only a few in this CS, as it is difficult to find a place to use them. You can hear one at 16:10. It's a crunchy sound. :]

Dark Seclusion Here
06-06-2012, 02:04 AM
Find
pil Offline

Thanks.

And oh I see. I have really cheap headphones and a mic, and I didn't think my headphones were able to do that. Part 2 will be live probably tomorrow after more rendering.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD6GbqUkVK4
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2012, 11:14 PM by pil.)
06-06-2012, 03:03 AM
Find
FragdaddyXXL Offline

Yeah, I've seemed to have noticed that some people like to blaze through notes, while some don't bother with mementos. Seeing as there are clues in some notes, it took some people quite some time when they did the aforementioned.

Oh, and that cubicle "puzzle" only works when you have Justine, as Justine contains the number signs that I used to mark each cubicle. I thought Justine was pretty much mandatory free DLC? I was wrong apparently. I am seriously considering updating this CS to provide pictures as well as notes for the cubicle puzzle. For some, English may not be their first language and may not know what exactly a cubicle is.

I'll be using all of this gained knowledge towards my next CS.

Dark Seclusion Here
06-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Find
MaZiCUT Offline

Threads: 31

It looks scary, i'm not going to survive this

Hi.
06-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Website Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(The following is my opinion on this CS, and suggestions I feel will help improvement for this or later projects)

The good news:
-The sound was good, and I enjoyed the music (even if it did only play in a few levels). I loves me some Beethoven, and I believe I even heard some Bioshock OST in there Tongue

The bad news:
-The mapping could best be described as 4/10 (with 1-3 being in the PDP/Jumpscare category).
There were many clipping textures, many empty rooms, and a lot of items that didn't belong in the build set (ie putting a giant demon-baby-face-fountain in a mansion base room)

-Lighting was poor. No boxlights = not good. Your use of fog and billboards left much to be desired. Even a boxlight with all values (r,b,g,a) at 0.05f will significantly increase your lighting.

Things to consider:
-Better lighting (ambient point lights, window spotlights, and matching colors of aforementioned lights with its corresponding structure [ie blue window == blue light+matching gobo])
-Non-clipping textures on walls/floor
-Use of the tie feature for floors/ceilings,
-More particle systems (such as fog/dust, not the fog area tool) and better use of billboards
-Music in every level, and ambient sounds (perhaps a timer loop for random sounds)
-Less predictable scares (like not having a poof-er charge you when you pick up a key)
-Logical progression of levels (or more specifically, level bases [ie mansion, dungeon, cellar, castle], in no point in a logical progression will you go from a mansion to a dungeon set, they simply don't mix)

Closing Thoughts:
One last note is that I found that your story seemed like it was set for a modern era, but was made with Amnesia/Medieval-eqsue parts. This irked me.

I hope you find the time to read this wall of text and take what you can from it. If this was your first project, it was pretty well done. Modding for Amnesia isn't something you can learn from reading tutorials, its something you have to invest time in to learn and get a feel for the engine.

I wish you luck in future projects!

I rate it 3 memes.
06-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Find
FragdaddyXXL Offline

You nailed the problems on the head.

Lighting is something I now have a better understanding of.
I'm experimenting with particle systems in my current project.
I'm going to try to stray away from large open rooms (hard to find objects to fill rooms).
As for the giant baby thing, I just tried to make that area as weird as humanly possible, given the current circumstances xD.

Thanks for the constructive criticism, I'll put it to good use Smile

Dark Seclusion Here
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2012, 01:22 PM by FragdaddyXXL.)
06-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Find
Naga eternal Offline

Had issues running it in the library. The lag was so bad i couldn't even progress. still from what i could play it is an amazing map and i look forward to more. but perhaps space the room's out and don't make such large levels? it could add to the spookiness of it. just some friendly hints no ham intended Smile
-edit .... i said ham i meant to say harm..... im not a clever pony...
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2012, 06:47 AM by Naga eternal.)
06-14-2012, 06:45 AM
Find
FragdaddyXXL Offline

Yeah, I was worried that the library part may cause lag. It all just really depends on what computer you have.

Dark Seclusion Here
06-27-2012, 12:40 AM
Find