Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Map file deleted?
Nox Penumbra Offline

Threads: 2
Question  Map file deleted?

Hello, I'm new here sad that my 1st post here is because of this.

Anyway since I'm completely new to making these things (I've seen many good stories from people, and wanted to try my own) I made a little test room, to get the hang of some of the things I can change and make.

I work on it all last night and had saved, closed, re-opened the program and map. After getting most of the structure and static objects in how I felt happy with them, I opened it up in the mapview (level editor still open to change things) noticed it was too dark(0 light at all) in some places.

I went back into the level editor and enlarge the boxlight so it contains the whole area, saved the now modified version and hit reload key in the map view (I went through the process of changing, saving, and reloading around 2-3 times). Feeling good about how the area looked by now, I saved yet again and closed the level editor, but the map view doesn't have a file->close button and the X button didn't seem to work so I just closed it from the task manager.

Now when I look for the map file in the level editor is does not show, I look in the redist folder(and all the subfolders) and don't see it, I type in the file name to try and open it that way and it tells me that the file does not exist; but when I use the map view program, its right there, where its always been.

Why can I see the file in map view, when level editor and my computer both say that it isn't there?
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2012, 02:54 AM by Nox Penumbra.)
05-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Find
Putmalk Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Map file deleted?

Your .map files should be saved in the maps folder, unless you made a folder in custom_stories and saved it there.

I do believe the "Escape" key will close the MapView without resorting to the TaskManager.

If you don't physically delete your .map, it should not have been deleted. Perhaps you accidentally saved it to a weird folder?

Also, when using the MapView, the game generates a CACHE file. That's something you'll want to delete, or else changes to your map will not save.

Happy mapping!

05-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Find
Nox Penumbra Offline

Threads: 2

Thank you.
I had not thought of checking other folder as I had only hit Save as once, and put in the default redist folder; but your post made me wonder, so I did a disk wide search for any file that was modified sometime between one or two days ago and had the name WIP.

Somehow the map file ended in the "owner/appdata/local/virtualstore/programfiles/amnesia-the dark descent" directory (next to that map chache file)

So now I've got the file back into the normal redist folder with the editors, and another copy in a back up file in documents.

Again, thank you for your help.
05-20-2012, 02:23 AM
Find
Putmalk Offline

Threads: 13

You're welcome. I'm glad you got it working.

Hope it doesn't happen again. Big Grin

05-20-2012, 03:23 AM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

That 'virtualstore' folder is where User Account Control on Windows 7 (possibly Vista, though not on my home PC) puts files from Program Files that are being edited by software (I dont know why, or under what circumstances it does or does not move the file). If something is mysteriously missing from a Program File and you have not deleted it, it's a good bet that it's been stuck in there. You may find it easier to simply turn off UAC, which can be the cause for many a ball-ache. You can turn it off from the Security area in control panel
05-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Find