Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about Flashbacks and Script Areas
NoobasaurusR3X Offline

Threads: 1
Question  Questions about Flashbacks and Script Areas

*SOLVED*

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the whole idea of scripting in Amnesia and new to the community as well. Smile Normally when I encounter a problem I search for tutorials, etc in order to try and clear things up however I couldn't seem to find any information on these two topics;

1) How would you add flashbacks into a custom story and how would you code it?
2) How would you disable the player's "hand icon" that appears on script areas? I want the player to be able to walk through the script areas but not be able to click on them with the "hand icon" that appears in-game.

Any Help would be appreciated Big Grin

*SOLVED*
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2012, 04:18 PM by NoobasaurusR3X.)
05-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Find
FragdaddyXXL Offline

Threads: 20
RE: Questions about Flashbacks and Script Areas

(05-21-2012, 07:47 PM)NoobasaurusR3X Wrote: 2) How would you disable the player's "hand icon" that appears on script areas? I want the player to be able to walk through the script areas but not be able to click on them with the "hand icon" that appears in-game.
What kind of Areas are you using? Are you sure you are using the Area of type: Script? And not some other area's by mistake?

As for the flashbacks, it depends on what you mean. If you want to emulate the kinds used in the main game, where your screen is kinda red, everything is slightly blurry, the flashback takes place in a whole other location, and the player has no control of the character, then you should get familiar with:
*Screen Effects
*TeleportPlayer(string& asStartPosName);
*The Player section of the Engine Scripts Page
*Timers

Once you have some familiarity over that, you could have a trigger do some screen effects, teleport the player to a location somewhere disconnected from the map (in a small room), make the screen effects fit the scenario, and, with a timer, teleport the player back to the area that triggered the whole shebang.

Dark Seclusion Here
05-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Find
NoobasaurusR3X Offline

(05-21-2012, 09:22 PM)FragdaddyXXL Wrote:
(05-21-2012, 07:47 PM)NoobasaurusR3X Wrote: 2) How would you disable the player's "hand icon" that appears on script areas? I want the player to be able to walk through the script areas but not be able to click on them with the "hand icon" that appears in-game.
What kind of Areas are you using? Are you sure you are using the Area of type: Script? And not some other area's by mistake?

As for the flashbacks, it depends on what you mean. If you want to emulate the kinds used in the main game, where your screen is kinda red, everything is slightly blurry, the flashback takes place in a whole other location, and the player has no control of the character, then you should get familiar with:
*Screen Effects
*TeleportPlayer(string& asStartPosName);
*The Player section of the Engine Scripts Page
*Timers

Once you have some familiarity over that, you could have a trigger do some screen effects, teleport the player to a location somewhere disconnected from the map (in a small room), make the screen effects fit the scenario, and, with a timer, teleport the player back to the area that triggered the whole shebang.
Thanks for the help Big Grin That idea for flashbacks would be very useful, however I kinda wanted the flashback to be similar to the conversations Daniel has with Alexander when the screen flashes white, audio kicks in and the player is forced to walk slowly.

The release trailer for Amnesia uses this effect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyHtk_ZhZAk

As for the areas, I am using the "Script" ones. Maybe the hand icon is appearing because I'm in developer mode?
05-22-2012, 12:21 AM
Find
FragdaddyXXL Offline

(05-22-2012, 12:21 AM)NoobasaurusR3X Wrote: Thanks for the help Big Grin That idea for flashbacks would be very useful, however I kinda wanted the flashback to be similar to the conversations Daniel has with Alexander when the screen flashes white, audio kicks in and the player is forced to walk slowly.

The release trailer for Amnesia uses this effect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyHtk_ZhZAk

As for the areas, I am using the "Script" ones. Maybe the hand icon is appearing because I'm in developer mode?
Is the player being forced to walk in that trailer?

I see what you are saying tho. If by chance you know (or maybe someone else might know) when this occurs in the main game, you can always view their levels and scripts as you would view your own, just to see how they pulled it off.

Dark Seclusion Here
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2012, 03:01 AM by FragdaddyXXL.)
05-22-2012, 03:00 AM
Find
Datguy5 Offline

Threads: 25

I think the flashbacks are explained in this thread(search before asking Big Grin) http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...=flashback
And fraggydaddyxxl the player isnt forced to walk there(i think).Havent you played the real amnesia story?

05-22-2012, 06:34 AM
Find
FragdaddyXXL Offline

(05-22-2012, 06:34 AM)Datguy5 Wrote: And fraggydaddyxxl the player isnt forced to walk there(i think).Havent you played the real amnesia story?
It's been a while Confused

Dark Seclusion Here
05-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Find
Datguy5 Offline

(05-22-2012, 08:42 AM)FragdaddyXXL Wrote:
(05-22-2012, 06:34 AM)Datguy5 Wrote: And fraggydaddyxxl the player isnt forced to walk there(i think).Havent you played the real amnesia story?
It's been a while Confused
Ok Smile

05-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Find
NoobasaurusR3X Offline

(05-22-2012, 06:34 AM)Datguy5 Wrote: I think the flashbacks are explained in this thread(search before asking Big Grin) http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...=flashback
And fraggydaddyxxl the player isnt forced to walk there(i think).Havent you played the real amnesia story?
Ahhh Thank you this is exactly what I'm looking for! Big Grin Sorry for the late response Confused
05-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Find
Datguy5 Offline

(05-26-2012, 04:15 PM)NoobasaurusR3X Wrote:
(05-22-2012, 06:34 AM)Datguy5 Wrote: I think the flashbacks are explained in this thread(search before asking Big Grin) http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...=flashback
Ahhh Thank you this is exactly what I'm looking for! Big Grin Sorry for the late response Confused
Np

05-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Find