Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Do you like having this thread?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes!
81.82%
9 81.82%
No!
18.18%
2 18.18%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Scripters Assemble!
JenniferOrange Offline

Threads: 43
Exclamation  New Scripters Assemble!

Frictional Games has been getting quite a few new scripters, and with that there is now an abundance of threads asking for scripting help. So, why not make a thread dedicated to all of you new scripters who need help? This will hopefully clear some clutter in the forum! Plus, more people can be helped if we keep this thread up and running, so it doesn't fall into the abyss. :]
If you are currently having a scripting issue, please post it here! Help us to help you and post the error message as well as the script experiencing the issue. One of FG's many talented scripters will assist you with your issue.

Ba-da bing, ba-da boom.
05-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20
RE: New Scripters Assemble!

But... ...isn't there a forum for this? ...called Development Support? Undecided
Well, whatever - if people will get help here, then it's as good of a place as any.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

05-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

This is a wonderful idea, it will help stop the new scripters from asking questions that have already been answered over and over; let's just hope that they can use it correctly. +1 for the much needed thread.

I rate it 3 memes.
05-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Find
JenniferOrange Offline

Threads: 43

(05-22-2012, 08:48 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: But... ...isn't there a forum for this? ...called Development Support? Undecided
Well, whatever - if people will get help here, then it's as good of a place as any.
Your argument is valid, yes..
But there is now like 30 more threads titled "I need help!" "Script exploded!" "LOLWHUT did I just do?!"
I figured new scripters with just or mostly script errors could post here. c:

Ba-da bing, ba-da boom.
05-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Find
Putmalk Offline

Threads: 13

True, we really don't need threads and threads with 1 or 2 replies with simple help...we could use threads in Dev. Support for more complicated problems.

05-22-2012, 09:10 PM
Find
FragdaddyXXL Offline

Threads: 20

I'm curious to see how this goes, because I'm kind of accustomed to the old way of doing things xD. I visit this forum when I'm bored to see if I can provide some assistance to those that need it. A simple way to do that is to check Thread titles, check it's amount of responses, and go from there. It's more organized than a big 1-thread page of multiple issues going on at once. It would kinda be more confusing to see if their problem has been fixed or not.

Dark Seclusion Here
05-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

Although most problems are incredibly simple such as a missing curly bracket, parenthesis, semicolon, or parameter. Sometimes it is a spelling error.

Maybe I should write a tutorial on self-error solving... (ofc I always say stuff like this, but procrastinate like a boss)

Insanity. Static.
05-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

i'm a newb scripter and i approve this thread Smile

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
05-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Find
Datguy5 Offline

Threads: 25

I wonder whose the first to post his error here Big Grin
Also 500th post!

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2012, 12:01 PM by Datguy5.)
05-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

okay ima get started then Big Grin i started to get the hang of normal scripting like unlocking doors, spawning monsters, playing music in zones.

But i still have problems with stuff that you modify in lang file.

Anyway so far i've managed to make a script for a key to unlock a door
BUT
i dont know how to rename the key and give it a description! Yes i've looked up tutorials and made this (my whole lang file):

<LANGUAGE>
<CATEGORY Name="CustomStoryMain">
<Entry Name="Description">This is an example story.[br][br]my random description</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
</LANGUAGE>

<CATEGORY Name="Inventory">
<Entry Name="ItemName_SecretKey">Secret Key</Entry>
<Entry Name="ItemDesc_SecretKey">Leading to a secret room</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
</LANGUAGE>

yes i've named the key at the CustomSubItemTypeName (in level editor) to SecretKey.

Note: I dont get any errors when starting the game, like it usually does when script is wrong.
Funny thing is, when i made this script the name of key and describtion DID change but its called nothing now.. when i pick up key it just says " You've picked up " and its blank, no item describtion and no name when i point my mouse at the key in inventory

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
05-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Find