Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request Can someone test my CS so far?
bagobonez Offline

Threads: 11
Can someone test my CS so far?

Looking for 2-3 people to test my CS. Basically what I'm interested in more than anything is how long it's taking you to complete what I have, is the difficulty too easy/hard, and do you feel there should be more or less "scares" (not necessarily jump scares) and if you could report any bugs you find (though I've done this pretty thoroughly already). Greatly appreciated and will mention your name in the creds when all is done.
05-25-2012, 11:53 PM
Find
RawkBandMan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 35
RE: Can someone test my CS so far?

I could do it, I'm looking for something to do while trying to fix Tenebris Lake Big Grin

I've come to learn to not fear the living, nor the dead... But the monsters that hide in closets.
05-26-2012, 02:08 AM
Find
Putmalk Offline

Threads: 13

I will do it, and provide brutally honest opinions and review it for you. But I will not hold back. Smile

05-26-2012, 02:11 AM
Find
bagobonez Offline

Brutally honest opinions are exactly what I want! So tell me, how do I get it to where you guys can test it? Do i need to upload it somewhere or email u guys my custom story folder?
05-26-2012, 03:06 AM
Find
Putmalk Offline

Just upload somewhere so I can download it. Just need the entire custom story folder.

05-26-2012, 03:17 AM
Find
bagobonez Offline

Ok here's the link...

http://www.mediafire.com/?cdmqsniq3eqf284

If you could, begin timing as soon as you start so I can know how long it takes you. You'll get to a map that I obviously just started and at that point you can stop. I'm interested in if you like the atmosphere, level design, if you were scared or bored, is there enough oil/tinderboxes, any critiques you can give. Oh, and disable debug mode please. Thanks again!
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2012, 03:30 AM by bagobonez.)
05-26-2012, 03:28 AM
Find
RawkBandMan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 35

(05-26-2012, 03:28 AM)bagobonez Wrote: Ok here's the link...

http://www.mediafire.com/?cdmqsniq3eqf284

If you could, begin timing as soon as you start so I can know how long it takes you. You'll get to a map that I obviously just started and at that point you can stop. I'm interested in if you like the atmosphere, level design, if you were scared or bored, is there enough oil/tinderboxes, any critiques you can give. Oh, and disable debug mode please. Thanks again!
Alrighty. I'll cut out loading times because those take forever on my crappy computer. Will try this tonight!

I've come to learn to not fear the living, nor the dead... But the monsters that hide in closets.
05-26-2012, 03:33 AM
Find
Putmalk Offline

Will update this post with my feedback as I progress through the maps. Rangers game is on so I'll probably not finish it tonight (depends how long it is).

First impression:
Spoiler below!

Note had proper text. Very nice and eerie. But, you don't use boxlight at all in here. It looks jarring and, frankly, terrible. Please use a boxlight to make the dark spaces not...pitch black....

Nice music, but window is missing billboards. I'd also put a curtain in front of it, and light_dust particles to make it complete. The lack of point lights/boxlights is becoming noticeable in this second room, and it really needs to be fixed. Plus, these torches on the mansionbase wall look bad. Consider using candlesticks.

Missing text on level door. Where am I heading? I could use this knowledge.

Outside:
Spoiler below!

Lovely atmosphere! Really digging the skybox. I'd propose adding a very large spotlight that acts as the "moonlight". Make sure you cast shadows on all your spotlights!

Big Mansion Room:
Spoiler below!

No idea what to do. Missing sign on the Laboratory sign. Also, LEVEL DOORS NEED TO BE MARKED!!!! Going into the library first, that's what my instincts tell me to do.

Library
Spoiler below!

Love the soundtrack. Please change the text on the door, instead of saying "It's locked, I'll need to open it", just say "It's locked." so that I can use my imagination and really get immersed. Don't tell everything for us! Let us figure it out!

I'm stuck in the Archives. Can't find a way past these bookshelves. Need to find a Storage key. Can't do so. Will leave and return later.

Gonna stop myself here for now.

Every door is locked. That's not fun to keep finding keys. Please reconsider this design decision. Currently in the laboratory. It's nice and all, but the key puzzles won't be fun. Gonna take a break and probably pick this up in a bit.

(This post was last modified: 05-26-2012, 03:51 AM by Putmalk.)
05-26-2012, 03:34 AM
Find
bagobonez Offline

(05-26-2012, 03:34 AM)Putmalk Wrote: Will update this post with my feedback as I progress through the maps. Rangers game is on so I'll probably not finish it tonight (depends how long it is).

First impression:
Spoiler below!

Note had proper text. Very nice and eerie. But, you don't use boxlight at all in here. It looks jarring and, frankly, terrible. Please use a boxlight to make the dark spaces not...pitch black....

Nice music, but window is missing billboards. I'd also put a curtain in front of it, and light_dust particles to make it complete. The lack of point lights/boxlights is becoming noticeable in this second room, and it really needs to be fixed. Plus, these torches on the mansionbase wall look bad. Consider using candlesticks.

Outside:
Spoiler below!

Lovely atmosphere! Really digging the skybox. I'd propose adding a very large spotlight that acts as the "moonlight". Make sure you cast shadows on all your spotlights!

Big Mansion Room:
Spoiler below!

No idea what to do. Missing sign on the Laboratory sign. Also, LEVEL DOORS NEED TO BE MARKED!!!! Going into the library first, that's what my instincts tell me to do.

Library
Spoiler below!

Love the soundtrack. Please change the text on the door, instead of saying "It's locked, I'll need to open it", just say "It's locked." so that I can use my imagination and really get immersed. Don't tell everything for us! Let us figure it out!

I'm stuck in the Archives. Can't find a way past these bookshelves. Need to find a Storage key. Can't do so. Will leave and return later.

Every door is locked. That's not fun to keep finding keys. Please reconsider this design decision. Currently in the laboratory. It's nice and all, but the key puzzles won't be fun. Gonna take a break and probably pick this up in a bit.
Wow, thanks for the quick feedback! Yes I started to realize the key thing was getting to be repetitive, perhaps I'll go back and maybe take some out and find other ways for the player to access the rooms. Will also add some lighting to the window of the first map area, that was my first time using the level editor at all so I need to go back and polish that entire map up a bit.

Spoiler below!
What did you think of the Count Wilshire painting scare as well as the library pot exploding? Did you like the claustrophobic design of the library? How are you doing on oil/tinderboxes? About how long did it take you get to the laboratory, and do you like the story so far?

Thanks again for helping out, I will get to work on your suggestions immediately.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2012, 04:02 AM by bagobonez.)
05-26-2012, 04:00 AM
Find
Putmalk Offline

(05-26-2012, 04:00 AM)bagobonez Wrote:
(05-26-2012, 03:34 AM)Putmalk Wrote: Will update this post with my feedback as I progress through the maps. Rangers game is on so I'll probably not finish it tonight (depends how long it is).

First impression:
Spoiler below!

Outside:
Spoiler below!

Big Mansion Room:
Spoiler below!

Library
Spoiler below!

Wow, thanks for the quick feedback! Yes I started to realize the key thing was getting to be repetitive, perhaps I'll go back and maybe take some out and find other ways for the player to access the rooms. Will also add some lighting to the window of the first map area, that was my first time using the level editor at all so I need to go back and polish that entire map up a bit.

Spoiler below!
What did you think of the Count Wilshire painting scare as well as the library pot exploding? Did you like the claustrophobic design of the library? How are you doing on oil/tinderboxes? About how long did it take you get to the laboratory, and do you like the story so far?

Thanks again for helping out, I will get to work on your suggestions immediately.
Oil and tinderboxes are scarce, but that's kind of negated by starting out with 100% oil in the lantern. >.>

It took me 10 minutes to get to the laboratory, like 2 inside the mansion room, then 1 minute outside, then 6-7 in the library. I didn't finish the library. I can't get out of the Archives with a key. Count Wilshire scare was okay, but I would much have preferred to see a sanity damage effect when it happens. Did not see the library pot explode. Claustrophic design is nice, but I don't know where to find the key??? (once again I repeat, searching for keys is not fun and I will not do it religiously. I play to experience a story and solve puzzles, not searching every nook and cranny. That's not even exploration, that's tedious).

Story so far seemed...hard to follow. Because you're directly talking to the player, which makes it feel like a test or something...I don't know, didn't play for that long to really discover notes.

As for "other ways to access rooms", how about just having them open to start? Why does it have to be such a linear experience? I never design like that...the doors are always open and there are a lot of them, and each one is always different. Inside there are things to read or events or items to collect and stuff. When you restrict us from room to room, it's a bit...boring. I suggest having the major doors either locked or stuck (i.e. crowbar). What you can also do is have a door locked and have a back entrance the player has to find (like the Archives map of Amnesia the Dark Descent. Door the secret bookshelf room is locked, but you can go around, get avalanched in, and go through that way.

(This post was last modified: 05-26-2012, 04:07 AM by Putmalk.)
05-26-2012, 04:05 AM
Find