Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Linux
GFree Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Linux

http://www.penumbrablackplague.com/site/buy.php

They wouldn't have put Linux & Mac entries there if those versions weren't forthcoming. Heck, they're using OpenGL as the renderer, plus the cross-platform work on Penumbra Overture should make it (in theory) fairly trivial to port. Still need to test it of course.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2008, 06:02 AM by thechef.)
02-15-2008, 06:02 AM
Find
thetargos Offline

Threads: 4

I just got out from my Penumbra Fix, since I'm replaying Overture to (hopefully) finish it this time, I just can't get around to fight the dogs. However after seeing some interesting ways to fight them (or not) in one of the many videos, I may try to blast them next with the propane tanks next time.
02-15-2008, 06:08 AM
Find
bugmenot Offline

Threads: 21

Hm, is there any chance for a boxed version? Why doesn't have it win- and linux-version on it?
By the way, I hate buying things virtually only.

cu
03-07-2008, 02:58 AM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30

I kept looking at that; mac and Linux bundled. quite honestly, I don't see why you would do that, unless you really want the game on both platforms/systems.
ding...yeah, lol. I have penumbra overture on windows AND Linux, so I shouldn't be talking Smile

I do have black plague on windows as well, and will get it for Linux once it's release, being I use Linux 99.99999999% of the time, and only use windows for Penumbra black plague and Call of duty 4.

edit/update: well, wouldn't you know it. they don't have that bundle package anymore. hope it still will be available for those systems

another update: http://www.penumbrablackplague.com/site/game.php seems to be there though at the very bottom.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2008, 06:06 AM by Greatred.)
03-08-2008, 04:08 AM
Find
cheesecake Offline

Threads: 1

Any update on how the linux version is going
03-14-2008, 03:57 AM
Find
thechef Offline

Threads: 5

I'm also wondering. I bought the windows version on gamersgate, but now i'm stuck
Spoiler below!
at the corridors
, because the game keeps crashing with and without hotfix, so looks like i actually have to wait for the native tested client instead of playing on an untested configuration like wine.

(Penumbra is worth double anyway, so that's fine)
03-24-2008, 01:43 AM
Find
jaeger Offline

Threads: 2

It's been over four weeks now since the Windows release, I'm eager to hear any news regarding the progress of the Linux port and possibly a release date? Smile
03-26-2008, 02:51 PM
Find
edfardos Offline

Threads: 7

Just to be sure - you're playing the win32 version under Linux and Wine right? You can't finish the game? The demo seems to work. I almost bought the Windows version, but if you say it wont work on Linux/Wine, I'll continue to wait for the Linux-native version.

thanks!
edfardos
03-26-2008, 04:50 PM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30

mine won't work, but I'm not as Linux literate as other people are. It seems to install; but I have no way on knowing how to actually run it.
03-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Find
jaeger Offline

Threads: 2

Finished Overture a couple of days ago, I'm really looking forward to the Black Plague release! In fact, Frictional should start working on a third episode right now!

Great story, great gameplay, but the replayability is low, we need new material. Frictional should consider releasing their SDK (for multiple platforms, of course, do NOT exclude the Linux community, we like making content too) so we can download and play custom content while waiting for more official episodes. Smile

So impatient... Considering the number of titles released on Linux I'd say that a large portion of the Penumbra players are on Linux (or possibly Mac?). Any statistics? Turns out that more than 50% of the <another great game recently released for Linux, but I won't mention it by name> PC players are running it from Linux. When ever a triple-A title is released for Linux a lot of Linux-fans swarm to pick it up AND pay for it to support vendors in their quest to loosen Microsoft's death-grip on the PC gaming industry.

Epic officially stated that a Linux version of UT3 might be in the box. Then they said it would be delayed. Now it has been demoted to "a pet project". The story is that there was a licensing issue, but Microsoft bought their engine for X-Box 360, the cynics claim they sold out their loyal Linux-using fans to please their new masters. They suck and blow either way! I bought the game and now I can't play it.

I sure hope Frictional are not having any seconds thoughts about their Linux ports and that the executives do not sell out the loyal fans like that, regardless of what cash you might be getting, hurting your fans can never be a good thing in the long run.
Oh, I also like the fact that I can buy it cheaper online, almost makes me want to buy it twice. Almost... Smile How about that release date, hehe?
03-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Find