Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
extra_english.lang file not working
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20
RE: extra_english.lang file not working

(05-30-2012, 05:03 PM)Your Computer Wrote:
(05-30-2012, 04:17 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: UTF-8 doesn't contain Å. What you're actually showing there is a bug in Geany that lets you write Å in the editor at all. The Amnesia interpreter will then interpret your script as UTF-16.

As far as i know, Å is part of Latin-1, and UTF-8 supports Latin-1. AngelScript will default to UTF-8 unless otherwise specified to do so. Since i don't have access to the Amnesia source code, i can only assume Amnesia will run my script through UTF-8. I would be interested in your source that proves the game is told to use UTF-16 instead of UTF-8 so that i can feel confident in stating that Amnesia interprets my scripts as UTF-16 if in fact true.

As for Geany allowing you to type these characters in regardless of the current encoding of the file, Scintilla and GTK both support UTF-8 for their UI and GTK defaults to UTF-8. I do not know if the UI disregarding the encoding of the current file is considered a bug by the developers of Geany, but i would expect it to be a lot easier to handle it outside the UI. I've dealt with GTK before, and it is not something i wish to dabble in ever again.

Of course, i should mention that just because it doesn't show up in game doesn't necessarily mean the character is not supported by the game, especially if we're dealing with FNT files.
I'm unclear as to what the game can display now, because it can display most (not all) Unicode 1.0 characters, and some (not all) Unicode 1.1 characters, and an unknown amount of 2 byte UTF-8 characters. At least I know that it can display "Å" under the right conditions. It's all very fuzzy.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

05-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(05-30-2012, 07:59 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: I'm unclear as to what the game can display now, because it can display most (not all) Unicode 1.0 characters, and some (not all) Unicode 1.1 characters, and an unknown amount of 2 byte UTF-8 characters. At least I know that it can display "Å" under the right conditions. It's all very fuzzy.

Not all fonts support all possible Unicode characters (though i'm not sure if there is one that does). In order to determine if there is a lack of Unicode support based simply on what is rendered on the screen, you have to see if the font (or FNT) used supports the characters itself.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2012, 09:01 PM by Your Computer.)
05-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Website Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(05-30-2012, 09:01 PM)Your Computer Wrote: Not all fonts support all possible Unicode characters (though i'm not sure if there is one that does). In order to determine if there is a lack of Unicode support based simply on what is rendered on the screen, you have to see if the font (or FNT) used supports the characters itself.
Done. Cool

(I didn't bother with verifying C0, C1, Extended-A, and the basic russian alphabet, simply because there was so many characters to test.)

The following unicode blocks are confirmed to be at least partially directly supported in-game (using the default font "font_default.fnt"):
C0 Controls and Basic Latin - Basic alphabet (Control characters not supported by font.)
C1 Controls and Latin-1 Supplement - Letters with diacritics (for european languages) (Control characters not supported by font.)
Latin Extended-A - Latin characters
Latin Extended-B - Latin characters (Only these letters: ƒ, Ǻǻ, Ǽǽ, Ǿǿ)
Spacing Modifier Letters - Miscellaneous phonetic modifiers, and spacing clones of diacritics. (Only these: "ˆ", "ˇ", "ˉ", "˘", "˙", "˚", "˛", "˜" and "˝".)
Greek and Coptic - Greek alphabet (Probably every single character between ";" and "ώ". Characters "ʹ" and "͵" not supported by engine.)
Cyrillic - Basic Russian alphabet and Cyrillic extensions is at least supported by the font.
Historic Letters (only six) is supported by the font, but not by the engine.
Extended Cyrillic (Only the characters: "Ґ" and "ґ")

05-31-2012, 03:57 AM
Find
willochill Offline

Threads: 27

So I took out the Å and it didn't help anything. lol. not the problem.
06-04-2012, 02:22 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(06-04-2012, 02:22 AM)willochill Wrote: So I took out the Å and it didn't help anything. lol. not the problem.
Is neither or the keys and the note working, or is one of them working?
If none of them are working, are you sure that you put the lang file in the right folder?

If one of them are working, have you named the note or keys properly in the editor?

06-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Find