Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game Not Starting
DJ Knight Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago Game Not Starting

I have checked the trouble shooting guides, updated all drivers and still cant seem to resolve issue with game not launching properly. I couldn't even get a HPL.LOG file unless I start from the "Launcher.exe". The HPL.Log file is incomplete so here are my specs and HPL.Log in hopes that someone can help. I also have already tried compatibility options for all the exe files like run as administrator, etc. I always run my games as administrator. I even ran the windows patch just for kicks, but the game refuses to launch and crashes to desktop every time without even creating the HPL.Log file.

The game was purchased via "HUMBLE INDIE BUNDLE 5"

Computer Specs are as follows:
Windows 7 Pro 32bit, amd athlon 2600+ , 3gig ram, nvidia 6800 GS 512mb video card

* see attachments for DXDIAG.TXT & HPL.LOG (although it never goes beyond initiating screen)

All help greatly appreciated.

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 989 bytes / Downloads: 142)
.txt   DxDiag.txt (Size: 47.78 KB / Downloads: 142)
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2012, 03:32 AM by DJ Knight.)
06-03-2012, 03:28 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago RE: Game Not Starting

possible that you need to add the game as an exception to your antivirus software.
06-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Website Find
DJ Knight Offline

(06-03-2012, 09:49 AM)jens Wrote: possible that you need to add the game as an exception to your antivirus software.
I even uninstalled my AV completely and still crashes to desktop in and gives the following:

"Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Launcher.exe_unknown
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4dd2918d
Fault Module Name: nvoglv32.DLL
Fault Module Version: 8.17.13.142
Fault Module Timestamp: 4fb204d9
Exception Code: c000001d
Exception Offset: 006e860a
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 2b61
Additional Information 2: 2b617c6f27ff96e0da4a895faba60808
Additional Information 3: 80d7
Additional Information 4: 80d7296225b82921490c33c0ec3fe039"

Is there a problem with latest drivers concerning OPENGL?

On a side note, I did try to start up using the Amnesia.exe and a window pops up asking for a serial. I purchased this game through a bundle called HUmble Indie Bundle 5 and have already written them about this problem as well. I'm thinking some of the problem is coming from how Frictional Games is choosing to distribute the game through the bundle. I Find it kind of redundant that you have to use shortcut, that points to a shortcut, that points to the Launcher.exe, which initiates the start of Amnesia.exe? I'm not sure when placing the game within the bundle that they fully developed the delivery method. There is a file called "super_secret.rar" which is password protected and makes me think within is a serial key. I realize this may not be what is causing the problem, but this HUmble Bundle is the first one where games are not working as they should. I would love to get some kind of official response from the game designers themselves, seeing I have paid them for the game yet the product is not performing at all.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2012, 02:06 AM by DJ Knight.)
06-04-2012, 01:48 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Have you installed any updates to the game? It should not ask for a serial number, so uninstall the game completely, make sure to also check Program Files and manually delete any Amnesia The Dark Descent folder that might be left there and also delete the My Documents/Amnesia/ folder. Then install the game fresh and see if that helps, possibly make sure to run the installer as an administrator.

There are no shortcuts pointing to shortcuts etc, the shortcuts point directly to the launcher.exe. And super_secret.rar is a bonus file you can unlock with the correct password.
06-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Website Find
DJ Knight Offline

(06-04-2012, 07:40 AM)jens Wrote: Have you installed any updates to the game? It should not ask for a serial number, so uninstall the game completely, make sure to also check Program Files and manually delete any Amnesia The Dark Descent folder that might be left there and also delete the My Documents/Amnesia/ folder. Then install the game fresh and see if that helps, possibly make sure to run the installer as an administrator.

There are no shortcuts pointing to shortcuts etc, the shortcuts point directly to the launcher.exe. And super_secret.rar is a bonus file you can unlock with the correct password.
I haven't had a chance to redo it all again, but I will. I did install the updates, I did run the installation file as a administrator, I did everything that has been mentioned within the forums because I normally run every installer as administrator. My plan is to delete everything associated with the game after uninstalling it. I am even going to come through reg with regedit.exe and remove everything that may get left behind. I will then check drivers for video, audio, flash, Direct X, and everything I can think of that can be remotely used by this game, Once i'm finished with that I plan on turning off my antivirus and firewall permanently. I will be installing this game after redownloading the installer from the HUMBLE BUNDLE 5 sight. When I INstall I will be right clicking and left clicking INstall as administrator. Once I Install I will reboot, and install the update as an administrator, then reboot. IF IT DOESN"T WORK, could you guys so graciously read through my new direct X report as well has the HPL.log file and help figure out why its not working? I Honestly feel that after I do this IT WILL NOT run but I'm willing to do it for the sake of doing it.
06-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Find
DJ Knight Offline

(06-04-2012, 07:40 AM)jens Wrote: Have you installed any updates to the game? It should not ask for a serial number, so uninstall the game completely, make sure to also check Program Files and manually delete any Amnesia The Dark Descent folder that might be left there and also delete the My Documents/Amnesia/ folder. Then install the game fresh and see if that helps, possibly make sure to run the installer as an administrator.

Well I performed all the tasks above with the same outcome. Trying to be creative I changed compatibility settings within launcher.exe and amnesia.exe by disabling desktop composition, visual themes, & high dpi scaling. Even tried various OS to no avail but never the less, here are the results.
(This is the result with all Drivers up to date, AV & Firewall OFF, and everything is being ran "AS ADMINISTRATOR")

When I run as administrator the Launcher.exe I get windows 7 app crash report:
"Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Launcher.exe_unknown
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4dd2918d
Fault Module Name: nvoglv32.DLL
Fault Module Version: 8.17.13.142
Fault Module Timestamp: 4fb204d9
Exception Code: c000001d
Exception Offset: 006e860a
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 2b61
Additional Information 2: 2b617c6f27ff96e0da4a895faba60808
Additional Information 3: 80d7
Additional Information 4: 80d7296225b82921490c33c0ec3fe039

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=1...cid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt"

When I run as Administrator the Amnesia.exe I get the BLACK BOX Crash Report below:
"Exception Reason
Amnesia.exe caused an EXCEPTION_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION in module nvoglv32.DLL at 001B:58BE860A"

If you will tell me how to give you the stack trace within that report I will be happy to supply it. Also I will be attaching the HPL.LOG file and DXDIAG.TXT File which look pretty much like the last two I submitted.

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 989 bytes / Downloads: 113)
.txt   DxDiag.txt (Size: 47.78 KB / Downloads: 121)
06-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Find
DJ Knight Offline

Are my computer specifications adequate to run this program? Everything I have read seems to me it should run fine. Is my post being looked into? Even if there's not an answer right now, just a post from a dev stating that its actually being looked at would be great. You can even ask for more information that may help in squashing the problem. I do know one thing, I refuse to purchase any more games from Humble Bundle even though they said they were tested. I did notice there are numerous posts about the game not working and I do realize some are most likely user error, I can assure you I am fluent enough in using a computer that I covered all the basics. The developers of the title Limbo actually found out that it was a silent install directory problem which they fixed and it ran without a hitch. I"m sure you all have done a good job with the coding, but there may be something that is not quite right that could be fixed, so please look into it from your end as well because you may find the one line of code that are causing so much problems. IF this is all customers receive, I can assure you I will refrain from putting a penny on any Frictional or related titles.
06-20-2012, 12:38 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

This is not looked into. Not sure what is wrong but it is something specific with your computer and the game, could be a software conflict or similar. The troubleshooting guides gives detailed help on what could be wrong so check those. General rules are to update the drivers for the graphics card, install the game with an administrator account and run with an administrator account to eliminate permission problems, turn off antivirus or any other type of software that can interfere, try different solutions or running game in window mode, try modifying settings in the graphics control panel for the graphics card.
06-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Website Find
DJ Knight Offline

(06-20-2012, 08:38 AM)jens Wrote: This is not looked into. Not sure what is wrong but it is something specific with your computer and the game, could be a software conflict or similar. The troubleshooting guides gives detailed help on what could be wrong so check those. General rules are to update the drivers for the graphics card, install the game with an administrator account and run with an administrator account to eliminate permission problems, turn off antivirus or any other type of software that can interfere, try different solutions or running game in window mode, try modifying settings in the graphics control panel for the graphics card.
I have more information for you to look over. I went through all the trouble shooting guides. This is a plain installation of Windows 7 32bit, NO Antivirus, UAC OFF, FULL Administration privileges account, Video Driver Up to date via NVIDIA WEBSITE. The only program installed is amnesia demo because I need to get it to run first before installing the copy I bought. Launcher.exe & Amnesia.exe have "run as administrator" checked. <--- This in itself eliminates most if not all of the things requested from the "trouble shooting guides" This only leaves "dry different solutions" & "running game in window mode" & "Modifying settings in grphics control panel for graphics card." Now on to the other things requested.

I went back to the compatibility mode and was trying each one on both files (Launcher & Amnesia) at the same time. The launcher finally launched when I checked 256 colors. It does not detect my video card which is 6800 gs/xt. ONce in laucher I set everything to off or lowest setting possible. You can verify this by the main settings.cfg that is attached below. I don't feel these settings should be that taxing nor do I understand why it doesn't detect the video card but insteads has GDI Generic. Once I click launch game, it seems to exit launcher successfully (I can only assume since it does create a window for the game called Amnesia). But once that comes up it crashes with the BlackBox being displayed with no stack trace and only "
Amnesia.exe caused an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module at 001B:00000000" You'll find this is different than before (I can only assume its from getting further).

.log   hpl.log (Size: 1.57 KB / Downloads: 141)
.log   launcher.log (Size: 3.44 KB / Downloads: 136)
.cfg   main_settings.cfg (Size: 600 bytes / Downloads: 131)

Now I have done a bit of trouble shooting and need some help from the developer that created the game. I think its a real shame that all this has to be done to even get this far. I ask that you don't quote your generic line about this or that but actually look at what I wrote, I think it describes it well, and take the time to look at the files I attached and make sure that it isn't something in the launcher or amnesia code preventing me from using a product that I paid for. IF you will take the time to really look at what I have presented and reply with something that can be done to try further, or to gather more information for you I will try placing this card on a fresh xp install with sp 3 and see if it performs exactly the same. IF it does, I will try a different card in both machines, and if it still performs like this, there's no way its on my end because I have eliminated every factor.
06-22-2012, 03:02 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

you have no graphics card drivers installed, as said in the graphics card troubleshooting guide
06-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Find