Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Should these types of maps stay?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes!
33.33%
16 33.33%
No!
66.67%
32 66.67%
Total 48 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
The decline of custom stories.
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65
RE: The decline of custom stories.

Once upon a time, during my progress on a different kind of development, mainly based on the CS 1.6 and later on Source's mapping. Nipper was a mapper for these games and a lot more and while he kept the LOL spirit, his maps were.... ART. So rich in emotion and feeling that you could spent an hour roaming around checking the same things over and over again.
(http://www.nipper.thedarkterritory.com)

There's no such thing as that in Amnesia. People use the absence of light to cover their SHIT, and assume previously set paths for the player blocking everything, reducing their work to useless (copy-paste) crap.(In most CASES I MUST SAY).

Everyone in here searches for some recognition, that's the reason for mod making in these conditions for most people, but very few achieve it. The main problem is that no matter how shitty someone's work is, people keep saying things such as "Very Good", "I'm expecting this one", etc... That's lame and prevents the mod maker to correct his faults, thus stopping his progress as a modder and introducing "empty" content to these forums. After that comes the bad criticism, the modder looses motivation and ends a possibly brilliant career.

It's all about choices and about find the best option. Being creative is essential, if that's not one of your qualities, forget about it, you may be a very useful asset in a team, where the concept is not left up to you. Everyone's different and who says we're all the same is a big bullshitter.

You also should know that Amnesia is not a good game for first time modders, for different reasons I have no time to discuss.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
06-09-2012, 12:45 AM
Find
imgoneimdead Offline
Señor Member

Threads: 23

(06-09-2012, 12:45 AM)nemesis567 Wrote: Once upon a time, during my progress on a different kind of development, mainly based on the CS 1.6 and later on Source's mapping. Nipper was a mapper for these games and a lot more and while he kept the LOL spirit, his maps were.... ART. So rich in emotion and feeling that you could spent an hour roaming around checking the same things over and over again.

There's no such thing as that in Amnesia. People use the absence of light to cover their SHIT, and assume previously set paths for the player blocking everything, reducing their work to useless (copy-paste) crap.(In most CASES I MUST SAY).

Everyone in here searches for some recognition, that's the reason for mod making in these conditions for most people, but very few achieve it. The main problem is that no matter how shitty someone's work is, people keep saying things such as "Very Good", "I'm expecting this one", etc... That's lame and prevents the mod maker to correct his faults, thus stopping his progress as a modder and introducing "empty" content to these forums. After that comes the bad criticism, the modder looses motivation and ends a possibly brilliant career.

It's all about choices and about find the best option. Being creative is essential, if that's not one of your qualities, forget about it, you may be a very useful asset in a team, where the concept is not left up to you. Everyone's different and who says we're all the same is a big bullshitter.

You also should know that Amnesia is not a good game for first time modders, for different reasons I have no time to discuss.

Thanks for this. Was interesting to read. I understand why amnesia is not good for first time modders.
06-09-2012, 06:51 AM
Find
DamnNoHtml Offline

Threads: 34

(06-09-2012, 12:45 AM)nemesis567 Wrote: Once upon a time, during my progress on a different kind of development, mainly based on the CS 1.6 and later on Source's mapping. Nipper was a mapper for these games and a lot more and while he kept the LOL spirit, his maps were.... ART. So rich in emotion and feeling that you could spent an hour roaming around checking the same things over and over again.

You seem like kind of an arrogant prick but I do agree with you. I don't know why, but it seems the standards for what makes a good mod has declined recently. I hate to blame Pewdiepie and other LPers, but the fact of the matter is most people who watch those videos are of the younger demographic. They like what they see, eventually find out they can make their own stories, and the cycle continues.

Also, I've noticed stories that are honestly terrible still getting amazing reviews from people with the reviewers saying 'That was the best story I've ever played!' when it's like a 20 minute naked-flying-man fest. (That sounded horrible). I don't know why the standard of quality on custom stories is so low now; it is saddening Sad

Creator of Wake, Through the Portal, Insomnia, and Cycles What to do with HPL3....
06-09-2012, 07:33 AM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

OK then. Don't release your story, or give it to someone else to release it for you. Would you do that? If so, I take my own quote as a mistake.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
06-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Quote:You seem like kind of an arrogant prick but I do agree with you

That was a first. Anyway, you misunderstand me if you think I'm an arrogant prick. I try to share my experiences in a realistic way. Maybe sometimes I do it harshly but the point remains the same. Some truths must be told and someone will always be hated for telling them.

I don't intend to criticize for the sake of doing it, but for the sake of changing something, and this world needs quite the change.

Also, I've seen many Let's PLay things around here. In my opinion, anyone that has a decent piece of work should never allow someone to make a let's play of it. It's publicity and might help your content to find itself across the web, but it just kills the spirit of your mod.

A good mod must be able to cause a very personal reaction in yourself, a very subjective feeling that will make you remember the mod, maybe even replay it or just get "that chill down the spine". As said, that's a very subjective reaction and the mod's concept itself must provide several interpretations, in bigger or smaller things, thus creating a very interesting experience where anyone can find at least a thing they can identify themselves with.

A let's play cuts all that. You're watching someone playing something their way, commenting their point of view and in most cases MAKING FUN of such valuable content.

Sometimes people's minds get covered by a dark cloud created by a bigger entity, maybe a community or even society. Then, they stop thinking as themselves and start trying to see things as other people do in such wrong ways that they reach a point in which they are simple copies of everyone else. Creativity is being lost, and we're getting too far away to ever recover it again.

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2012, 09:52 PM by nemesis567.)
06-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Find
Cryaotic Offline

Threads: 13

(06-09-2012, 09:37 PM)nemesis567 Wrote: Also, I've seen many Let's PLay things around here. In my opinion, anyone that has a decent piece of work should never allow someone to make a let's play of it. It's publicity and might help your content to find itself across the web, but it just kills the spirit of your mod.

A good mod must be able to cause a very personal reaction in yourself, a very subjective feeling that will make you remember the mod, maybe even replay it or just get "that chill down the spine". As said, that's a very subjective reaction and the mod's concept itself must provide several interpretations, in bigger or smaller things, thus creating a very interesting experience where anyone can find at least a thing they can identify themselves with.

A let's play cuts all that. You're watching someone playing something their way, commenting their point of view and in most cases MAKING FUN of such valuable content.
I like video games.

06-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

lol.

You certainly do.

That's your attack to prevent me from ruining your career. ;D

I still enjoy your Let's Plays sometimes.

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2012, 11:58 PM by nemesis567.)
06-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Find
imgoneimdead Offline
Señor Member

(06-09-2012, 11:46 PM)Cryaotic Wrote:
(06-09-2012, 09:37 PM)nemesis567 Wrote: Also, I've seen many Let's PLay things around here. In my opinion, anyone that has a decent piece of work should never allow someone to make a let's play of it. It's publicity and might help your content to find itself across the web, but it just kills the spirit of your mod.

I like video games.

You are an exception. 1. Because you are hilarious. 2. Because you aren't extremely popular and respect the CS Smile
06-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

I agree.(mostly)

06-10-2012, 03:57 AM
Find
imgoneimdead Offline
Señor Member

(06-10-2012, 03:57 AM)nemesis567 Wrote: I agree.(mostly)

Short and simpo
06-10-2012, 04:00 AM
Find