Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Work in progress Standards of Hell (Diablo Tribute)
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: Standards of Hell (Diablo Tribute)

(09-02-2012, 03:35 AM)Streetboat Wrote: Well the problem seems that it won't be removed from these forums due to piracy since Traggey gave me permission

Consciously knowing about it, i would have to remove it. Reasons given by Traggey for he himself not removing it contradicts the very reason why he brought the issue to the admins in the first place.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
09-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(09-02-2012, 11:47 AM)Robosprog Wrote: it wouldn't attract any negative attention from companies, I mean, I doubt they'd even know it existed.
Neither would most of the content from the other removed threads. I don't think the companies would have cared about that either, but it is still illegal as far as I know.

I think the mods may need another get-together for this...

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

I pulled this from Wikipedia on copyright expiration:

WIkipedia Wrote:The expiration of a copyright is more complex than that of a patent. Historically the United Stateshas specified terms of a number of years following creation or publication; this number has been increased several times. Most other countries specify terms of a number of years following the death of the last surviving creator; this number varies from one country to another (50 years and 70 years are the most common), and has also been increased in many of them. See List of countries' copyright length. Legal traditions differ on whether a work in the public domain can have its copyright restored. Term extensions by the U.S. and Australia generally have not removed works from the public domain, but rather delayed the addition of works to it. By contrast, a European Union directive harmonizing the term of copyright protection was applied retroactively, restoring and extending the terms of copyright on material previously in the public domain.

If what is going on here applies to standard copyright (Frankly I'm not sure), Diablo is still very much copyright protected, and will be so for a very long time.

Now Blizzard may not care, but it will still come down to whether the mods will allow it, or not.

Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2012, 12:06 PM by Kreekakon.)
09-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBeT4ptY9sY

Sad

[Image: signature-2.png]
09-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(09-02-2012, 05:26 AM)Streetboat Wrote:
(09-02-2012, 03:41 AM)failedALIAS Wrote: Right, and who the hell sues a tribute? That's like beating the baker of a birthday cake cause it had your name on it.
That may be the best metaphor I've ever heard.
Well, shit.

(09-02-2012, 04:33 PM)Streetboat Wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBeT4ptY9sY

Sad
"I fought the law and. . ."
Now we'll never know what he was going to say!
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2012, 05:42 PM by failedALIAS.)
09-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Update: I sent an email to the copyrights department at their company (copyright@blizzard.com) detailing the situation. Waiting for a response.

Quote: Hello, my name is Jamie Rodel, I am a 22 year old modmaker for the game Amnesia: The Dark Descent by Frictional Games. I am writing this e-mail to ask you a question regarding use of materials from Diablo 1, released in 1996. To begin, I will describe to you the project I am currently working on.
It is a modification (more precisely, an isolated full conversion) for the game Amnesia, which is meant to pay tribute to the game Diablo 1. To get more details visit these websites:

ModDb: http://www.moddb.com/mods/standards-of-hell
Frictional Games forum: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-15828.html

These two websites detail the purpose of the modification, and at this juncture I feel I should explain why I have come under scrutiny from a moderator on the forums. I am currently using several sound files from Diablo 1, in order to achieve the nostalgic effect I desire. I feel that this mod would have nowhere near the impact I desire without the use of classic monster sounds, dialogue, and music from the original Diablo. It is my understanding that the team that made Diablo 1, Blizzard North, disbanded in 2005. I was using this knowledge, and the fact that Diablo 1 is 16 years old, to use the material in my mod; that, and the fact that I would be gaining no profit from the project. No sounds or materials are being used from Diablo 2 or 3. I would like to know if this infringes any copyright information, and if so, I could gain permission to use these materials from the original game; I repeat my former statement that I truly believe that these sound effects and that music carry a nostalgic factor that would be unmatched by anything else.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

[Image: cleardot.gif]Jamie Rodel

09-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Find
ferryadams10 Offline

Thumbs Up  RE: Standards of Hell (Diablo Tribute)

Tongue Seems Legit

Got a nice sofa
Please come and have a seat for a while

09-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Find
Hardarm Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 39

[Image: SoH01.jpg]

A tease image. I hope it won't ... magically go away like just before.

listen to boards of canada
09-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Website Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

yeah, guys, Hardarm is working with me, he's not posting in here to muck up the thread.

09-10-2012, 11:27 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

So is this still going on? Did you get proper permission for the assets?

Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2012, 06:46 AM by Kreekakon.)
09-11-2012, 06:45 AM
Find