Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Horror games as good as Amnesia?
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21
RE: Horror games as good as Amnesia?

(06-05-2012, 12:24 PM)Traggey Wrote:
(06-05-2012, 12:23 PM)Lorkas Wrote: When me and my friends played Amnesia, it was the best horror game we'd ever seen. After completing it, it's as if there's a hole now. Every other horror games seems lame compared to Amnesia.

What are some good psychological horror games similar to Amnesia?
Play the penumbra series, other than that, nothing can really even attempt to match Amnesia as of yet.
Complete matter of opinion

Quote: I share your pain; nobody appreciates Thief. [Image: sad.gif]
Hard to appreciate it when I've never played Thief

Why has no one mentioned System Shock 2?
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2012, 08:30 PM by Hunter of Shadows.)
06-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(06-06-2012, 08:30 PM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote:
(06-05-2012, 12:24 PM)Traggey Wrote:
(06-05-2012, 12:23 PM)Lorkas Wrote: When me and my friends played Amnesia, it was the best horror game we'd ever seen. After completing it, it's as if there's a hole now. Every other horror games seems lame compared to Amnesia.

What are some good psychological horror games similar to Amnesia?
Play the penumbra series, other than that, nothing can really even attempt to match Amnesia as of yet.
Complete matter of opinion

Quote: I share your pain; nobody appreciates Thief. [Image: sad.gif]
Hard to appreciate it when I've never played Thief

Why has no one mentioned System Shock 2?
Basically because almost no one has played it. Unless you pirate it, it's nearly impossible to get because the rights are divided between three different parties and therefore it isn't sold. GOG is working hard (most requested game at the moment) to get the rights for it but it's almost impossible. I did play it briefly (pirated copy) but it is very difficult to get running even on XP (let alone Windows 7). The "set CPU affinity" fix that works for Thief doesn't work as well for SS2 (same engine), so there. It did appear to be a great game though and I've heard a lot of good things about it, and hope GOG some day manages to release a fully optimized version of it.

Also, do yourself a favor and play Thief! Thief: The Dark Project is pretty much my favorite game ever, it's just mindblowingly good, and as I said really scary (on the level of Amnesia for sure).

EDIT: By "no one" I of course mean younger generations.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2012, 08:51 PM by Bridge.)
06-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

No game matches Amnesia, the only thing that comes close is Penumbra, which is made by Frictional Games as well.

Honestly, you will not find a game as scary as this masterpiece. But, there are quite a few wonderful new games that might challenge this later in the year, but we will have to wait.

I rate it 3 memes.
06-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(06-06-2012, 09:28 PM)andyrockin123 Wrote: No game matches Amnesia, the only thing that comes close is Penumbra, which is made by Frictional Games as well.

Honestly, you will not find a game as scary as this masterpiece. But, there are quite a few wonderful new games that might challenge this later in the year, but we will have to wait.
Seems like nobody here has played Thief. I've only seen one other person on this forum mention it.
06-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Find
PewDiePie Offline

Threads: 1

[Image: survivalhorrorvsactionh.png] Left side maybe you'll find some c:
06-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Oh yes, "D"... so much memories. Played it on rare platform called Panasonic 3DO ages ago.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2012, 01:29 PM by Kein.)
06-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Find
brute360 Offline

Threads: 0

Quote: Seems like nobody here has played Thief. I've only seen one other person on this forum mention it.
I play Thief games and System Shock 2
06-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Find
imgoneimdead Offline
Señor Member

Threads: 23

(06-06-2012, 10:36 AM)darkadders Wrote:
(06-06-2012, 01:08 AM)kman Wrote:
(06-06-2012, 12:13 AM)Xanthos Wrote:
(06-05-2012, 02:33 PM)kman Wrote: Cry of Fear's good, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as Amnesia.

Try SCP-087 though, that's probably on the same level of scary as Amnesia was for me. The other two in that series kind of suck though.
SCP is not even close to Amnesia levels.
You walk down stairs and wait until you hit a monster.
You pretty much walk into scares with knowing it.
No story line, Just stairs and ...
More stairs
...That's not the point of it. Sadly it's been robbed of a lot of fame due to the huge success of the other two SCP games. It works well if you let yourself get immersed in it, and if you do... It works fucking well. Aside from that it actually does use many of the same scare tactics Amnesia does (incredibly limited lighting, ambient noises, more natural scares (as in you're not forced to look at it, but rather just happen to see the scare making it that much more effective)). Going into it with the mentality "wtf how is just walking down stairs for a while scary" is what ruins it for a lot of people. I was literally SHITTING myself the whole way through, just because it makes you so incredibly nervous (that is, if you let yourself get immersed like I said). You don't know what's going to happen when you get to the bottom, you don't know if there even is a bottom, and the whole way through you hear faint screams and other creepy ass noises emanating from below you. The whole point of it is that it eats away at you psychologically, it uses the anticipation of the end to make the rest of it incredibly nerve racking. That whole mindset of monster encounters=scary is what's killing the horror genre in games to be honest.

This is actually why I think the other two fall short, because they don't follow this mindset what so ever. In B there's little to no tension, the first possible monster attack happens about 2-4 minutes in and it's accompanied by ear-shattering loud music and some figure walking up and smacking you. In CB I could barely make it past the first room because I spawned a map with 173 at the start and he's fucking impossible to get by.

All I'm saying is that if after you played it all you could think was "how is walking down stairs scary?" you're missing the point in it.
i second this statement. SCP-87 was mainly focused on tension, atmosphere and buildup(which they did VERY well, i must add.)

SCP-87B was mainly focused on TRYING to build atmosphere. its only scare factor were the slightly predictable and sort of continuous jumpscares. dont get me wrong, the jumpscares were performed very well; but i felt more terrified with my tension and the atmosphere built up, in scp-87

the original creator of the SCP-87 game is also making a patch for it; to be released this summer. ...fuck yes.

I was sad that there was ever an SCP game. I liked reading fan-made documents rather then walking down stairs.
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-087 Here is the file for 087, that stuff you guys talkededed about.
06-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Find
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2

For more recent games. I'd recommend Metro 2033. It is a shooter, but it has some amazing atmosphere and visuals. And later in the game, it has a couple of sequences that seriously rival the fear in Amnesia.

And, probably an obvious suggestion. But the Silent Hill series is pretty good. I'd specifically recommend 4, 2, 1, and maybe Homecoming. Silent Hill 4: The Room is the most absolutely disturbing game I've ever played. It has some genuinely terrifying moments as well as insanely surreal and sickening imagery.
06-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

(06-06-2012, 11:37 PM)Bridge Wrote: Seems like nobody here has played Thief. I've only seen one other person on this forum mention it.

I've played the Thief games lots of times. And I agree, The Dark Project had some incredibly scary levels. The sequels had less scares, but still had a lot of levels with really creepy atmosphere. With that said, I actually prefer Thief II, because the focus is on stealing instead of on "tomb raiding".
06-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Find