Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What was your first Introduction to the world of Lovecraft?
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
What was your first Introduction to the world of Lovecraft?

The introduction includes any source that is/was inspired by the Lovecraft World.

My first introduction was the Quake 1 game. Despite Shub-Niggurath more resembling a Dark Young, the game was enjoyable. I've heard that Quake 5 is in the works and will be a remake/reboot of Quake 1. This means betteer storyline, possibly more Lovecraftian monsters, and scares (I wonder of they'd include a sanity level in that game).

Now I later found other things Lovecraftian inspired or based, but Quake 1 was the first for me. How about you?
06-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2
RE: What was your first Introduction to the world of Lovecraft?

I guess Amnesia.

Since then, I chose Lovecraft as my author for my author study research paper this year and got a whole 100 percent on it! I pretty much know everything about him, even read three of his short stories. Great guy; probably my favorite author.

Insanity. Static.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2012, 11:11 AM by Juby.)
06-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Well, Lovecraft. I suddenly got interested in him and searched everywhere in vain for some of his stories (nowhere to be found where I live), so I read a few online. After that I played Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, watched basically every Lovecraft movie ever made (they are depressingly few) and then bought an anthology book that I'm still reading.
06-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(06-06-2012, 02:05 PM)Bridge Wrote: Well, Lovecraft. I suddenly got interested in him and searched everywhere in vain for some of his stories (nowhere to be found where I live), so I read a few online. After that I played Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, watched basically every Lovecraft movie ever made (they are depressingly few) and then bought an anthology book that I'm still reading.
Here is a website that I was shown to by a friend on the forum. It has all of Lovecraft's works for online reading.

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/

I've only read 'The Dunwich Horror' and it was good. Haven't seen any movie directly based off of his works, but have heard of an upcoming movie called 'Age of Madness' that is based off of the Lovecraft Universe.

Do the Xenomorph from the Aliens film count as Lovecraft inspired?
06-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(06-11-2012, 04:05 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote:
(06-06-2012, 02:05 PM)Bridge Wrote: Well, Lovecraft. I suddenly got interested in him and searched everywhere in vain for some of his stories (nowhere to be found where I live), so I read a few online. After that I played Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, watched basically every Lovecraft movie ever made (they are depressingly few) and then bought an anthology book that I'm still reading.
Here is a website that I was shown to by a friend on the forum. It has all of Lovecraft's works for online reading.

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/

I've only read 'The Dunwich Horror' and it was good. Haven't seen any movie directly based off of his works, but have heard of an upcoming movie called 'Age of Madness' that is based off of the Lovecraft Universe.

Do the Xenomorph from the Aliens film count as Lovecraft inspired?
1. That was me actually. Big Grin I'm not actually still searching; as I said I bought a book. But for less fortunate people that site is invaluable.

2. Here are the Lovecraft movies I have seen, ranging in quality:

i. The Call of Cthulhu (2005) - This is by far the best Lovecraft inspired movie. It's shot in black and white and is completely silent, which really makes it feel like the 1920s. The acting and music is great and the story of course is great. The effects can be a bit cheap at times but they don't detract from the movie that much. Highly recommended.

ii. Re-Animator (1985) - Very loosely based on the story "Herbert West - Reanimator" but this is a pretty awesome movie. It doesn't really have that Lovecraft mystique that characterizes his stories but it is good.

iii. From Beyond (1986) - I haven't read the Lovecraft story, but I liked this movie. It's kind of weird but enjoyable. Not great by any stretch of the imagination though.

iv. In the Mouth of Madness - Among the best ever. It's not based on any Lovecraft story but it oozes with Lovecraftian references and Sam Neill as the protagonist is awesome. Very underrated I think, as it's one of the best horror movies ever made.

v. Dagon - Based on The Shadow Over Innsmouth. It's a pretty good movie but not incredible.

So yeah, see those. There are probably some I'm forgetting.
06-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Find
imgoneimdead Offline
Señor Member

Threads: 23

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of The Earth.

That game was amazing in my opinion. Somewhat awkward controls, but I loved how he was actually limping because he was hurt, and the way going insane worked. That's another reason why I loved Amnesia
06-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(06-11-2012, 05:57 PM)Dagrocks Wrote: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of The Earth.

That game was amazing in my opinion. Somewhat awkward controls, but I loved how he was actually limping because he was hurt, and the way going insane worked. That's another reason why I loved Amnesia
It's surprising how few games there are that can have a player limping. The only game I've played with a limping character was Regina from Dino Crisis 1.

Here's a funny crossover idea, "Cthulhu Crisis".
06-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Find
imgoneimdead Offline
Señor Member

(06-11-2012, 06:06 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote:
(06-11-2012, 05:57 PM)Dagrocks Wrote: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of The Earth.

It's surprising how few games there are that can have a player limping. The only game I've played with a limping character was Regina from Dino Crisis 1.

Drugs are dangerous.
06-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(06-11-2012, 06:07 PM)Dagrocks Wrote:

Drugs are dangerous.
I know drugs can be dangerous, but what does that have to do with what I said Huh
06-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Find
imgoneimdead Offline
Señor Member

(06-11-2012, 06:16 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote:
(06-11-2012, 06:07 PM)Dagrocks Wrote:

Drugs are dangerous.
I know drugs can be dangerous, but what does that have to do with what I said Huh

Cthulhu Crisis sounds like drugs.
06-13-2012, 04:05 AM
Find