Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia won't start
TheUnderdog2020 Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago Sad  Amnesia won't start

So, I have just bought Amnesia from steam and installed it but when I go to run it, it doesn't work. When I click the .exe file it says that i'm logging onto steam (just like any other game) and then nothing happens at all. I've uninstalled and re-installed a few times and still nothing. Even changed and renamed files etc... and still nothing...

I have read the troubleshooting threads and I believe it's probably something to do with the drivers. (I'm not great with computers so I don't really know much about what is wrong or if the drivers are up to date or whatever. I just got this laptop at christmas and it's relatively new and plays lots of other high demanding games :S)
My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite c660. I've tried to find out the drivers by doing the method that was in the troubleshooting guide. (By going to documents and then the Amnesia folder) but when I click on the "Main" folder inside the Amnesia folder it is completely blank with nothing inside.

I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me out with this problem.
Thanks.
06-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Amnesia won't start

This seems to be a steam issue, if you're already logged onto steam it shouldn't be telling you to log in upon launching again. ARe you running it from your games library?
06-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Find
TheUnderdog2020 Offline

(06-06-2012, 06:23 PM)Traggey Wrote: This seems to be a steam issue, if you're already logged onto steam it shouldn't be telling you to log in upon launching again. ARe you running it from your games library?
Sorry for the time it took to reply, my internet has been acting up lately and I rarely get access...
Anyway, what I meant was, even if I was to click the game .exe on my desktop, it would log into steam and try to run it, but won't. Same thing happens if i'm logged into steam and run it from my games library, it just says "preparing to launch game" and then the little loading icon appears on the mouse and then disappears but nothing happens. No black screen or anything just the steam/desktop screen. It's really quite annoying.
I don't think it's a stem problem though because all my other steam games work perfectly. I think it's probably something to do with the fact that the folders inside the amnesia folder is empty Confused
EDIT: Forgot to mention, that steam believes that I'm playing the game as my steam icon turns green saying that i'm in-game while i'm not. Don't know if that means anything but yeh...
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2012, 11:39 AM by TheUnderdog2020.)
06-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Perhaps reinstall the game on steam and/or make sure to turn off any antivirus or similar that could cause issues.
06-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Website Find
TheUnderdog2020 Offline

(06-11-2012, 01:56 PM)jens Wrote: Perhaps reinstall the game on steam and/or make sure to turn off any antivirus or similar that could cause issues.
Uninstalled/deleted all local game files. Then I turned off my AVG antivirus software and installed the game again via steam. Still nothing Sad.

Is there anywhere online where I could download whatever content is supposed to be in the "Main" folder? I believe that if I get that content filled then the game may run. No matter how many times I uninstall and reinstall the game it will not fill this folder. :S
06-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Find
TheUnderdog2020 Offline

Okay, so I think I've come to the conclusion that the reason Amnesia won't start on my laptop is because my Graphics card isn't good enough to play it.

So, either I going to have to replace the graphics card or custom build a gaming desktop PC to play this game Sad.

I was so psyched to play this too. Oh well...
06-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

my documents/amnesia is not supposed to contain anything but config and user files, which are created upon launch.
Amnesia installs under steam in your program files folder.

What graphics card are you running? I find it doubtfull to be your graphics card if the the game launcher doesn't even appear.
06-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Find
mcjessieboy Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Amnesia i have the solution

(06-06-2012, 06:19 PM)TheUnderdog2020 Wrote: it did it with me i have windows 7 Toshiba c660/c660d
what u have to o is disable your graphics card go into your start menu type in manage devices and it will come up with a window
click on display adaptor and it will show a graphics cards name right click and click disabe ps your screen will go funny just change your resolution to max to fix it or just eneble the driver againif it still dont work write back
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2012, 07:04 PM by plutomaniac.)
07-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

WHAT? Of course that's not the solution!
07-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Amnesia i have the solution

(07-03-2012, 06:54 PM)mcjessieboy Wrote:
(06-06-2012, 06:19 PM)TheUnderdog2020 Wrote: it did it with me i have windows 7 Toshiba c660/c660d
what u have to o is disable your graphics card go into your start menu type in manage devices and it will come up with a window
click on display adaptor and it will show a graphics cards name right click and click disabe ps your screen will go funny just change your resolution to max to fix it or just eneble the driver againif it still dont work write back
That... What? Why? Disabling your... I'm out.
07-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Find