Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to co-operate mod development with developers running different OS ?
DarkDimensions Offline

Threads: 3
How to co-operate mod development with developers running different OS ?

Is it possible that two developers (level designers) running different operating systems i.e one on Windows and other on a Mac OSX do the development in association ? Suppose I'm running Windows 8.1 and other person (we're working on the same CS) is running Mac OS, then is this possible that we can still develop the mod as if we were both running Windows.I mean if the other guy designs some maps in his level editor than would I be able to open them in the same way I'd open them as if I had developed them on my computer.
I'm asking this because I think paths are a little bit different among both OS's and I have never used Mac, not even pressed a key on a Mac PC.

Update : To explain in more deep what the actual thing is.

I'm not worried about file extensions since I'm completely sure that both OS's have *.map and *.hps as level backbones.A typical level design document would definitely have some lines like,

<FileIndex_Entities NumOfFiles="22">
                <File Id="0" Path="entities/Realm Of Death/Doors/Castle Gate.ent" />
                <File Id="1" Path="entities/ornament/banners/banners01/banner_short01.ent" />
                <File Id="2" Path="entities/ornament/banners/banners02/banner_long02.ent" />
                <File Id="3" Path="entities/lamp/chandelier_large/chandelier_large.ent" />
                <File Id="4" Path="entities/lamp/chandelier_nice/chandelier_nice.ent" />

The thing that has got me worried is about the paths used by both OS's i.e
Quote:entities/lamp/chandelier_large/chandelier_large.ent
, for this one is from Windows installation of Amnesia.
So the actual question is, are these paths (just above) same in every level design document or they are specific to a particular OS ?
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2014, 08:48 PM by DarkDimensions.)
05-09-2014, 08:26 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49
RE: How to co-operate mod development with developers running different OS ?

Probably, don't know, but i assume mac uses too .map and .hps files, the same files for development, (would be troubling if didn't), never looked into it.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2014, 08:36 PM by Red.)
05-09-2014, 08:36 PM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

You're fine, Amnesia deals with different paths all the time.
Doesn't matter what OS you have, everyone can play/edit your mod.

05-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Find
DarkDimensions Offline

Threads: 3

'Amn' you really made me happy.But just a quick question, if I develop my mod entirely in Windows and then send it to someone running Mac, then would he be able to install my thing just like in Windows;i.e paste everything in "Custom_Stories" and run my mod from within the game ?, with no crashes or failure or missing textures.
05-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(05-09-2014, 09:09 PM)DarkDimensions Wrote: 'Amn' you really made me happy.But just a quick question, if I develop my mod entirely in Windows and then send it to someone running Mac, then would he be able to install my thing just like in Windows;i.e paste everything in "Custom_Stories" and run my mod from within the game ?, with no crashes or failure or missing textures.

Yes.
Because everything made in a custom story, stays inside the "custom_stories" folder, (Which is the exact same on a mac), there should be no problem.

I own both a windows and a mac, and I've been able to download and play mods on my mac, just as i do on my windows.

Trying is the first step to success.
05-09-2014, 09:56 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Yeah it works fine for custom stories. Mods work mostly the same, but you'll need a different kind of launcher, as .bat won't work. I primarily work on a Mac computer, but I often boot into Windows 7 should I need to. It's all very simple. It's the engine that handles the .map and .hps files as well as all the others, not the OS, therefore it's fully cross-platform. Linux too.

Oh, and Amnesia usually doesn't utilize the paths. It often just references objects by file name, therefore the files can be located in any folder within the reach of the resources.cfg file.

Also I'm not 100% sure, but I think Amnesia even translates all paths to use the forward slash format. Windows uses back slashes for directories, EG:

C:\Program Files\Steam

Unix uses forward slashes, EG:

~/Library/Application Support/Steam

I noticed in the log on Windows that the path looked something like this:

C:\Users\MyUser\Documents/Amnesia/Main/hpl.log

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2014, 10:49 PM by Mudbill.)
05-09-2014, 10:43 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Simple! Laugh at them for being silly enough to develop on a mac, soon enough they'll feel so bad that they will get a windows installation.
05-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Find
Posting Freak

(05-10-2014, 11:39 AM)Traggey Wrote: Simple! Laugh at them for being silly enough to develop on a mac, soon enough they'll feel so bad that they will get a windows installation.

At least Virtual Box is free.

05-10-2014, 12:22 PM
Find
Posting Freak

(05-11-2014, 11:08 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(05-10-2014, 12:22 PM)FlawlessHappiness Wrote:
(05-10-2014, 11:39 AM)Traggey Wrote: Simple! Laugh at them for being silly enough to develop on a mac, soon enough they'll feel so bad that they will get a windows installation.

At least Virtual Box is free.

Anything is free on the internet if you know where to look.

-.-

Your conscious isn't...

05-12-2014, 03:14 PM
Find