Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Locked Messages+Door Names
DaAinGame Offline

Threads: 11
Locked Messages+Door Names

Honestly, I feel really embarrassed to be having such a simple problem, especially considering I know what to do, and I've done it before multiple times. It seems that my .lang file doesn't want to show certain things. I know that there are no writing errors in it, as items, messages, and quests still work perfectly fine. It just refuses to show a locked door message and display the doors name when it is in focus.

</CATEGORY>

<CATEGORY Name="Levels">
<Entry Name="Basement">Basement </Entry>
<Entry Name="Hall">Hallways </Entry>
</CATEGORY>

<CATEGORY Name="LockedDoors">
<Entry Name="Hallway">The door is locked.</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

This should all be correct considering I took it DIRECTLY from my other custom story, and just changed the names around. In the level editor, everything is named properly. The "Hallways" door variables are set as followed:
TextEntry- Hall
LockedTextCat- LockedDoors
LockedTextEntry- Hallway

Those are copy and pasted RIGHT from the level editor. And yes, my map is up-to-date, and in my custom story folder. I have no idea what's wrong here because, like I said, I basically got this from my other custom story, where all of the messages worked.

While I highly doubt it has anything to do with a writing error, as everything else works, here is my entire .lang file.

Spoiler below!

<LANGUAGE>
<CATEGORY Name="CustomStoryMain">
<Entry Name="Description">
As a tourist, you found your stay at the mystical Adder Halls very enjoyable, although a

creepy feeling filled you. With being one of the most haunted, and dangerous mansions in the

world, paranormal researches constantly flooded the mansion, until it was recently deemed unsafe

to enter at night. Now here you are... Trapped inside, with a sharp pain in your right side. You

must escape...
</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

<CATEGORY Name="Inventory">
<Entry Name="ItemName_Unkown_key">Unkown Key</Entry>
<Entry Name="ItemDesc_Unkown_key">There's no hint to where this key could be used.</Entry>

</CATEGORY>
<CATEGORY Name="Journal">
<Entry Name="Quest_SearchQuest_Text">I should search the room for anything useful and get out of

here!</Entry>
<Entry Name="Quest_ExploreQuest_Text">I should explore the surrounding rooms and see if I can't

find clues as to how to get out.</Entry>
<Entry Name="Quest_BasementQuest_Text">The door up is locked, but according to a note I found, the

key is hidden in the basement. I should head there.</Entry>

<Entry Name="Note_Intro_Name">To Mr. Ted Varney</Entry>
<Entry Name="Note_Intro_Text">Mr. Varney, You being here is no mistake. Your ancestors once lived

here, and killed many people. This is the reason for the mansion being haunted, and now, these

angered spirits must take their revenge on you, and finally let all other living souls here be at

peace. </Entry>

<Entry Name="Note_Intro1_Name">Still Alive?</Entry>
<Entry Name="Note_Intro1_Text">Still alive Ted? I'm sorry that you are trapped in this situation,

but I will help you through it! You can find a key somewhere in the basement. Its in the backroom,

quick you must make haste! </Entry>
</CATEGORY>

<CATEGORY Name="Subtitle">
<Entry Name="Wakeup">What Whe- Where am I?</Entry>
<Entry Name="Intro1">What happened here?</Entry>

<CATEGORY Name="Flashback">
<Entry Name="Intro">Familiar Voice: Quickly Ted, please follow me.</Entry>
<Entry Name="Intro1">Ted: Where are we going?</Entry>
<Entry Name="Intro2">Familiar Voice: To the basement. There is some- *crashing sound* </Entry>
<Entry Name="Intro3">Ted: Are you okay?!</Entry>
<Entry Name="Intro4">Familiar Voice: I'm fine. Let's just continue on, and watch your

step.</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

<CATEGORY Name="Levels">
</CATEGORY>

</CATEGORY>

</CATEGORY>
</LANGUAGE>

Ignore odd breaks in the spoiler, they are not actually like that in the file itself.

Realm Of Another Chapter 1: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-14142.html
Realm Of Another Chapter 2: Postponed
Adder Halls: 5%
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2012, 03:56 AM by DaAinGame.)
06-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: Locked Messages+Door Names

Does the hpl.log provide any information on this?

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
06-18-2012, 01:04 AM
Website Find
DaAinGame Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Locked Messages+Door Names

WARNING: Entity '' does not exist!
WARNING: Entity '' does not exist!
WARNING: Could not find language file entry 'Intro'
WARNING: Could not find language file entry 'Intro1'
WARNING: Could not find language file entry 'Intro2'
ERROR: Could not load sound 'FB3.ogg'
ERROR: Can't find sound 'FB3.ogg'!

From what I see not really. I haven't added FB3 yet so I understand that one, as for the Intro, Intro1, Intro2, I'm not sure why those weren't found but they also were not working. I figured it might've been a naming conflict, so I'll try renaming those, but nothing about Levels or LockedDoors.

***EDIT*** After scrolling up a long while, I did finally find "WARNING: Could not find language file entry 'Basement'"
I'm going to double check my lang file now to see if I added an extra </entry> or </category> that's throwing everything off.

no </CATEGORY> here

<CATEGORY Name="Flashback">

<Entry Name="Intro">Familiar Voice: Quickly Ted, please follow me.</Entry>

<Entry Name="Intro1">Ted: Where are we going?</Entry>

<Entry Name="Intro2">Familiar Voice: To the basement. There is some- *crashing sound* </Entry>

<Entry Name="Intro3">Ted: Are you okay?!</Entry>

<Entry Name="Intro4">Familiar Voice: I'm fine. Let's just continue on, and watch your step.</Entry>

I found this to be the possible reason so I added it, and get this now.
WARNING: Could not find language file category 'Subtitle'
WARNING: Could not find language file entry 'Quest_SearchQuest_Text'
I'm looking through the file now to find what ELSE is messed up.

Still have yet to find where the error is at so in hopes maybe someone can find what I'm missing here is my new updated file.

<LANGUAGE>
   <CATEGORY Name="CustomStoryMain">
      <Entry Name="Description">
         As a tourist, you found your stay at the mystical Adder Halls very enjoyable, although a creepy feeling filled you. With being one of the most haunted, and dangerous mansions in the world, paranormal researches constantly flooded the mansion, until it was recently deemed unsafe to enter at night. Now here you are... Trapped inside, with a sharp pain in your right side. You must escape...
      </Entry>

</CATEGORY>

<CATEGORY Name="Inventory">
   <Entry Name="ItemName_Unkown_key">Unkown Key</Entry>
   <Entry Name="ItemDesc_Unkown_key">There's no hint to where this key could be used.</Entry>

</CATEGORY>

<CATEGORY Name="Journal">
<Entry Name="Quest_SearchQuest_Text">I should search the room for anything useful and get out of here!</Entry>
<Entry Name="Quest_ExploreQuest_Text">I should explore the surrounding rooms and see if I can't find clues as to how to get out.</Entry>
<Entry Name="Quest_BasementQuest_Text">The door up is locked, but according to a note I found, the key is hidden in the basement. I should head there.</Entry>
<Entry Name="Note_Intro_Name">To Mr. Ted Varney</Entry>
<Entry Name="Note_Intro_Text">Mr. Varney, You being here is no mistake. Your ancestors once lived here, and killed many people. This is the reason for the mansion being haunted, and now, these angered spirits must take their revenge on you, and finally let all other living souls here be at peace. </Entry>
<Entry Name="Note_Intro1_Name">Still Alive?</Entry
<Entry Name="Note_Intro1_Text">Still alive Ted? I'm sorry that you are trapped in this situation, but I will help you through it! You can find a key somewhere in the basement. Its in the backroom, quick you must make haste!</Entry>

</CATEGORY>

</CATEGORY>

<CATEGORY Name="Flashbacks">
<Entry Name="Flash">Familiar Voice: Quickly Ted, please follow me.</Entry>
<Entry Name="Flash1">Ted: Where are we going?</Entry>
<Entry Name="Flash2">Familiar Voice: To the basement. There is some- (crashing sound) </Entry>
<Entry Name="Flash3">Ted: Are you okay?!</Entry>
<Entry Name="Flash4">Familiar Voice: I'm fine. Let's just continue on, and watch your step.</Entry>

</CATEGORY>

<CATEGORY Name="Levels">

</CATEGORY>

</CATEGORY>

</LANGUAGE>

***FINAL EDIT***
Fixed it, everything works now. Missed ONE simple little >
Gotta love coding. 3 hours wasted looking for that SINGLE thing. I finally fixed it by deleting all the text in my lang file and adding it line by line and testing it till it stopped working. Took a while, but its a great debugging method!

Realm Of Another Chapter 1: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-14142.html
Realm Of Another Chapter 2: Postponed
Adder Halls: 5%
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2012, 03:56 AM by DaAinGame.)
06-18-2012, 01:20 AM
Find