Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Framerate issues with Amnesia: The Dark Descent
AdamAK Offline

Threads: 2
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago RE: [Wrong forum] Framerate issues with Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Yup. Didn't load any save files, but started a new game straight away. The game was running better than before, but the list of errors in the log was as huge as ever.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2012, 10:56 PM by AdamAK.)
06-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Find
GrAVit Offline

Threads: 15
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago RE: [Wrong forum] Framerate issues with Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Any notable changes that could've happened during those months?

06-30-2012, 12:30 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

can I see the log again?
06-30-2012, 02:07 AM
Find
AdamAK Offline

(06-30-2012, 12:30 AM)GrAVit Wrote: Any notable changes that could've happened during those months?
Nope. Nothing I can think of. I've been thinking back a lot to see why it could have started lagging, but I hadn't installed/uninstalled anything on my computer for a while around the time the game started showing these issues. Interestingly enough, as suggested by plutomaniac, creating a new Amnesia folder in My Documents improved performance by quite a bit; I can now run it with things like SSAO and parallax turned on while not streaming, and still get a solid 60fps, so that problem seems to be fixed at least.

(06-30-2012, 02:07 AM)plutomaniac Wrote: can I see the log again?
Pastebinned it again.
http://pastebin.com/dwjzF4xQ

I just had a look at the precise errors. One of them says that:

WARNING: Couldn't preload sound entity 'attack_claw_hit03.ogg '

After having a look at the sounds folder, I found no such sound file. 'attack_claw003.ogg' exists, but not with the _hit03 suffix. In other words, the game seems to be searching for a long list of files that most likely exist under a slightly different name. There's also a large list of 'candlestick_floor_x' items it's looking for, but the particles folder contains no such files. File integrity tests show that everything is a-okay, though. I've also re-installed the game on two separate hard drives, both leading to the same results.
06-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

These errors ERROR: Could not find light are almost always caused by graphics card driver issues. I have the same graphics card and no such errors occur. I have driver 301.24 installed which is one of the latest. What driver do you have? Can you update it from nvidia.com? Otherwise, laptopvideo2go is the only way.

The log shows that the game is being saved etc so I guess every time it becomes even bigger instead of recreating itself. Delete it and let recreate itself after playing again.
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2012, 12:04 PM by plutomaniac.)
06-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Find
AdamAK Offline

I'm using 301.24 as well. They released 301.42 a few days ago, but I haven't updated to those yet. The ones I'm using now should really be good enough, though.

Are there, perhaps, any version differences? As in, that the Steam version is different from the one sold through store.frictionalgames.com and that this is somehow at the root of the problems?

The game seems to be running quite okay on high settings now (with the exception of The Sewers, I get 50+ fps while recording with Fraps), but the error list is quite puzzling.

There's another issue I seem to have while playing in full-screen mode. Once every few minutes, my gamma settings automatically change to a really low, too dark value. This happens randomly while I'm simply playing the game. Never had such an issue in windowed mode, so I'm wondering what's causing it. The interesting part is that Fraps still captures the footage with the correct gamma settings, but I'm getting a very dark picture on my screen.
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2012, 02:01 PM by AdamAK.)
06-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

first of 50+ fps is way fine for such a card. And yes, fraps may interfere
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2012, 05:43 PM by plutomaniac.)
06-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Find
AdamAK Offline

Yup, game is working fine now. Recorded a full playthrough at a solid 60fps today. If it ever starts lagging again, I'll try re-making that Amnesia folder again. Thanks for the help, plutomaniac!
07-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Find