Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[HELP] Model loses textures during export from 3ds max
Henriksen Offline

Threads: 71
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: [HELP] Model Viewer crashes.

I think I have caused some confusion here. First off its the MODELVIEWER.EXE I am having problems with, second, I don't even get to export my model. The MODELVIEWER.EXE crashes before anything shows up, no menus or anything. I'll reinstall amnesia now though to see if it fixes the problem. (Tried reinstalling the hpl suite without any luck)
06-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

(06-20-2012, 01:42 PM)teddifisk Wrote: I think I have caused some confusion here. First off its the MODELVIEWER.EXE I am having problems with, second, I don't even get to export my model. The MODELVIEWER.EXE crashes before anything shows up, no menus or anything. I'll reinstall amnesia now though to see if it fixes the problem. (Tried reinstalling the hpl suite without any luck)
How is the model viewer related in any way to exporting your model?
Other than setting up a functioning material and giving the object properties everything is done within
your 3D modeling package, if you're having problems exporting your model then it is not related to Amnesia.
You shouldn't be using the modelviewer for setting up imported models, you should be using the modeleditor.exe.

Have a look and see if that one crashes too.
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2012, 03:22 PM by Traggey.)
06-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Find
Henriksen Offline

(06-20-2012, 03:20 PM)Traggey Wrote:
(06-20-2012, 01:42 PM)teddifisk Wrote: I think I have caused some confusion here. First off its the MODELVIEWER.EXE I am having problems with, second, I don't even get to export my model. The MODELVIEWER.EXE crashes before anything shows up, no menus or anything. I'll reinstall amnesia now though to see if it fixes the problem. (Tried reinstalling the hpl suite without any luck)
Other than setting up a functioning material and giving the object properties everything is done within
your 3D modeling package, if you're having problems exporting your model then it is not related to Amnesia.
You shouldn't be using the modelviewer for setting up imported models, you should be using the modeleditor.exe.

Well they both crashed, I reinstalled amnesia and the hpl suite. When I try to export my model from 3ds max to .DAE I get this: http://i.imgur.com/Cur4r.png

The materials are in a .JPG format so maybe that has something to do with it.
06-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

(06-21-2012, 10:39 AM)teddifisk Wrote:
(06-20-2012, 03:20 PM)Traggey Wrote:

Well they both crashed, I reinstalled amnesia and the hpl suite. When I try to export my model from 3ds max to .DAE I get this: http://i.imgur.com/Cur4r.png

The materials are in a .JPG format so maybe that has something to do with it.
First off I've told you several times that they MUST be in .dds to work. JPG will NOT work.
However that is not related to unsupported shaders, are you using max standard shaders or are you perhaps using Vray or MentalRay shaders? Only Standard materials will work.

And why is there two materials? I can only see one texture being used.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2012, 11:06 AM by Traggey.)
06-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Find
Henriksen Offline

(06-21-2012, 11:05 AM)Traggey Wrote: First off I've told you several times that they MUST be in .dds to work. JPG will NOT work.
However that is not related to unsupported shaders, are you using max standard shaders or are you perhaps using Vray or MentalRay shaders? Only Standard materials will work.

Yeah I get that they should be in a .dds format. When I open the .jpg file in gimp and export it into .dds it still says .jpg. And I don't know what kind of shaders im using, I am new to this whole modeling stuff.
06-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

(06-21-2012, 12:02 PM)teddifisk Wrote:
(06-21-2012, 11:05 AM)Traggey Wrote: First off I've told you several times that they MUST be in .dds to work. JPG will NOT work.

Yeah I get that they should be in a .dds format. When I open the .jpg file in gimp and export it into .dds it still says .jpg. And I don't know what kind of shaders im using, I am new to this whole modeling stuff.
In that case you're not exporting it correctly.
I strongly suggest you take some time to actually learn how to use the needed software before using it to mod stuff.
06-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Find
Henriksen Offline

(06-21-2012, 12:43 PM)Traggey Wrote:
(06-21-2012, 12:02 PM)teddifisk Wrote:

In that case you're not exporting it correctly.
I strongly suggest you take some time to actually learn how to use the needed software before using it to mod stuff.
Guess your right, it was a bit far fetched. Thanks for all the help though
06-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Find