Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texture, Model & Animation Help Weird Level Editor glitch, most likely caused by model
AniCator Offline

Threads: 1
Weird Level Editor glitch, most likely caused by model

Hey guys,

This is my first post here and sadly it's a typical call for help post.

I've been working on a custom story for a little while now and it's all looking pretty good.
I've been able to add custom static meshes and my own physics props but recently I've been trying to add a model that contained a skeleton and an animation.

It took me quite a lot of work to make it export properly and I'm still have some issue here and there but I thought I got rid of most problems until this happened.

[Image: LevelEditorDafuq.png]

It was all looking fine in Blender and the Model Editor.
[Image: BlenderLooksFine.png]

[Image: ModelEditorLooksFine.png]

I don't understand why this is happening.
I also noticed that my animation is not playing even though I added it to the entity.
In the ModelViewer I noticed the bones looked a bit odd as well, compared to the orientation of the bones in Blender itself also they don't move when the animation is playing.

I hope you guys can help me out here, fixing this will allow me to do some pretty cool things to make my custom story a unique one.

It seems like it's some default animation that is shows in the Level Editor but I never made an animation like that.
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2012, 06:30 PM by AniCator.)
06-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: Weird Level Editor glitch, most likely caused by model

How does the .dae look when loaded in the Modelview? It's generally a good idea to run a new model in the ModelView before running it through any other editor.

I think the issue you have is you haven't changed the Type::SubType on the User Defined Variables in the Model Editor. I had this same issue when I was trying to get my animated hallway working.

If the Type is set to "StaticProp", change it to

Type: Object
Subtype: Static
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2012, 07:22 PM by Statyk.)
06-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Find
AniCator Offline

The model loads in the model viewer but it's got some sort of default animation that is probably generated somehow but it messes everything up.
[Image: ModelViewerDAE.png]

And for some odd reason I can load the entity in the other editors but not in the ModelViewer.
06-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Find
AniCator Offline

Thanks, that did fix the loading of the entity in the Model viewer but I still don't understand why the model goes crazy like that. (it didn't fix the weird displacements)
06-26-2012, 10:35 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

Read: http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/thi...3d/blender

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
06-27-2012, 03:29 AM
Website Find
AniCator Offline

Well I'm guessing it has something to do with this section of that tutorial.
Quote: One last point to remember is that, materials you create might be mixed up when you create it and one material accidentally get linked against 2 different geometries (or datablocks, or vertex groups… whatever one calls it). If this happens without proper care (accidentally), your model will not export correctly. Will look funny in model view.
Can someone give a better explanation of this though? It's rather fuzzy in the tutorial.

This just get's more random as I try to fix this. >.<
I exported the model again, set the armature node type to "JOINT" in the files as I did before but now the ModelView crashes again. It loads fine in ModelEditor but in LevelEditor the object has become invisible, when I select it I can see the wireframe but that is still looking as messed up as in the first screenshot that I posted.
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2012, 10:42 AM by AniCator.)
06-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Blender armatures aren't fully supported. If you want to make animations that use armatures, use Maya.

06-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Website Find
AniCator Offline

Ah ok, I thought they fixed the armature export but I guess I'll have to give Maya a go then.
I'll just animate my stuff in Blender and then export it to Maya. (I tend to prefer Blender over other 3D applications which might seems silly to some people Smile )

I'll see if I can get it working with Maya today. I'll keep you up to date.
06-27-2012, 11:34 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(06-27-2012, 11:34 AM)AniCator Wrote: I'll keep you up to date.

Please do. I'm in the process of doing the same (i.e. creating the animation in Blender, exporting to a format that Maya supports, and importing into Maya, then exporting from Maya), but having issues of my own which i have been unable to so far overcome.

06-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Website Find
AniCator Offline

So far I have only been able to export a OpenCOLLADA object from Maya without using any Joints.
Going to try to get Joints working now.

I added some joints to my Maya file but right now it causes the ModelViewer to crash.
Still trying to figure out why, well... time for dinner.
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2012, 04:07 PM by AniCator.)
06-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Find