Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work in progress Very first custom story: Dark Ways
bartimeus Offline

Threads: 6
Very first custom story: Dark Ways

So, I'm actually working on my first custom story, which I started one month ago... I had to stop it during the exams, but I'm trying to finish the work.
I'm actually searching for people which can test the map and which can give me a constructive critic. Just a few lines would be fine. Smile
I have to say that the map isn't finished at all!!! I'm still working on every levels of the map at the same time.

Here's some temporary screenshots:

[Image: amnesia2012061415311791.jpg]

[Image: amnesia2012062817114775.jpg]

[Image: amnesia2012062817140508.jpg]

There's the link of the map:
http://www.mediafire.com/?pf2mb1cirsowj66

If there's any problem or if you have any ideas, don't hesitate to tell me...

PS; If anyone know how to post screenshots on the forum, i would appreciate it, thanks.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2012, 09:20 PM by bartimeus.)
06-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Find
kartanonperuna Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 44
RE: Very first custom story: Dark Ways

Pics would be nice or somekind of footage.

Voice actor

Painful shadows

06-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Website Find
bartimeus Offline

I know it, that's why i'm asking for someone who can tell me how to do...
06-28-2012, 08:03 PM
Find
MaZiCUT Offline

Threads: 31

fn + alt + prt sc.

or just alt + prt sc.

Hi.
06-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Website Find
Ongka Offline

Threads: 3
Constructive critic

Light:
You should use more ambient light (box lights). Use a little amount (e.g. 0.03) to cover up the completely dark spots. In rooms with more light you should use a higher amount, e.g. the outside area or the room in the first screenshot.
Billboards:
Lower the three color values cause it's too bright in contrast to the environment.
The fourth value is used to determine how lucent the billboard is. Lower this value also.
You should do this with all billboards, in order to make them look more real.
Static objects:
Between every wall, there's a little "gap" which causes the walls not to connect properly.
To fix this, add one welder between every wall. This may take some time, but also improves the look of your map.
Planes:
It looks like you used the standard value of the plane.
This causes the floor to look pretty small sized.
To make it look more real and less repetetive, click on the plane you used, then click on Plane, and lower the Tile amount to something between 0.15 and 0.25 e.g. 0.25 | 1 | 0.25.
If you use "Align To World Coords" you can prevent mismatching of the floor / ceiling pattern.
Entities:
The drawers look to new compared to the other furniture. Add more stuff to the level and it will look better in no time.

Otherwise, nice work! Wink

I hope I was able to help you with this critic.
Feel free to ask questions!

[Image: 18694.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2012, 09:00 AM by Ongka.)
06-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Find
bartimeus Offline

RE: Constructive critic

(06-30-2012, 08:59 AM)Ongka Wrote: Light:
You should use more ambient light (box lights). Use a little amount (e.g. 0.03) to cover up the completely dark spots. In rooms with more light you should use a higher amount, e.g. the outside area or the room in the first screenshot.
Billboards:
Lower the three color values cause it's too bright in contrast to the environment.
The fourth value is used to determine how lucent the billboard is. Lower this value also.
You should do this with all billboards, in order to make them look more real.
Static objects:
Between every wall, there's a little "gap" which causes the walls not to connect properly.
To fix this, add one welder between every wall. This may take some time, but also improves the look of your map.
Planes:
It looks like you used the standard value of the plane.
This causes the floor to look pretty small sized.
To make it look more real and less repetetive, click on the plane you used, then click on Plane, and lower the Tile amount to something between 0.15 and 0.25 e.g. 0.25 | 1 | 0.25.
If you use "Align To World Coords" you can prevent mismatching of the floor / ceiling pattern.
Entities:
The drawers look to new compared to the other furniture. Add more stuff to the level and it will look better in no time.

Otherwise, nice work! Wink

I hope I was able to help you with this critic.
Feel free to ask questions!
Thanks for your answer Smile It helps me a lot. Just a little thing; When you speak about the gap between the walls, do you speak of the house's walls, or do you speak of every walls in the map?
06-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Find
Ongka Offline

Threads: 3

No problem! Keep your work up! Wink
I meant gaps like the one between the drawer and the chest in the first picture.

[Image: 18694.png]
07-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Find
DaAinGame Offline

Threads: 11

Looking pretty good so far. I may not have much room to talk considering I'm only working on my second story, but so far I found it much more difficult to work, and keep motivated to work on the first story. Just remember, try to have fun with it, and put some unique things into it. Again, it may be more work, but always add little things into the game. Custom sounds, music, voice acting, all those little things come together in the end to make a GREAT custom story, so don't do what I did on my first story and neglect all those little things till the last second. =P
Keep up the good work, and if you ever need some scripting help, feel free to talk to me!

Realm Of Another Chapter 1: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-14142.html
Realm Of Another Chapter 2: Postponed
Adder Halls: 5%
07-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Find