Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.83 Average
It Begins Slowly
TerrorsEnd Offline

Threads: 4
It Begins Slowly

[Image: slowle.png]

It Begins Slowly - your biggest nightmare. Biggest pain and suffer you have ever met.
Its the year 1459. You are Joshua Hopkins, an old slave who just got out of the evil monster Grunt's castle. You can't sleep - its driving you crazy and you feel like your mind is controlled by the devil himself. Every night, you see you are in the castle again, wandering around with a lantern. Its very very dark, and in the end, Grunt always wins.
Can YOU change it?

My first Custom Story project.
Screenshots: http://www.moddb.com/mods/terrorsend/images
Download link:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/terrorsend/downloads

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2012, 10:54 PM by TerrorsEnd.)
07-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Website Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16
Star  RE: It Begins Slowly

Eh, I found the mapping to be very bland and unprofessional. The whole thing seems like one big troll (which I wouldn't doubt). Add in that pinch of irony at the very title of the story, and you've got yourself another mediocre story. Dodgy
07-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Find
TerrorsEnd Offline

RE: It Begins Slowly

(07-01-2012, 03:38 PM)failedALIAS Wrote: Eh, I found the mapping to be very bland and unprofessional. The whole thing seems like one big troll (which I wouldn't doubt). Add in that pinch of irony at the very title of the story, and you've got yourself another mediocre story. Dodgy
Do you know that everyone can't a map that you like? Also it was my first CS ever made and I wanted to try a lot of stuff which are in the map.
Anyways, next map I make will be a lot more scarier, much much more scarier atmosphere, not troll, etc.
You'll see, you'll see.

(This post was last modified: 07-03-2012, 12:14 AM by TerrorsEnd.)
07-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Website Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(07-01-2012, 04:06 PM)TerrorsEnd Wrote:
(07-01-2012, 03:38 PM)failedALIAS Wrote: Eh, I found the mapping to be very bland and unprofessional. The whole thing seems like one big troll (which I wouldn't doubt). Add in that pinch of irony at the very title of the story, and you've got yourself another mediocre story. Dodgy
Do you know that everyone can't a map that you like? Also it was my first CS ever made and I wanted to try a lot of stuff which are in the map.
Anyways, next map I make will be a lot more scarier, not troll, etc.
You'll see, you'll see.
It's not that the map wasn't "fitting to my particular tastes" -- rather it was a collection of textured boxes, with the occasional furniture filler.
I'm not doubting your potential. I'm just telling you this particular story isn't very good. But if the thought that I'm an unfair jackass motivates you to do better, then by all means, come at me bro.
07-03-2012, 02:56 AM
Find
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 64

Just terrible, trolling keys first fail.

Second fail too many monsters spawning..

Third fail map design.

Final fail no story. I can't call this even a custom story.

“Life is a game, play it”
07-03-2012, 03:04 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

I'm not trying to shut you down or put you down, but why do people release their first/testing maps? They never get much positive feedback and they're generally as bland as the others. Believe me, I've been through this stuff. But I used my first/test maps to test new models and mechanics. Then I used those models and mechanics in another campaign, and spent more time on THAT. A first/test map should never be released. And honestly, I know you're saying it's your first, but wouldn't that be more of a reason to produce something better? So people see it and go "wow!", you know? I mean... What rooms look like these? Size them down, they're way too large. If you condensed them, they would feel a bit more natural, you know?

I haven't played it because I never play anyone's first campaigns or troll maps. There's a reason this game is a horror genre. I play to get immersed and scared, not laugh. That's what games like Gmod are for.

Keep at it and spend lots of time on each room and when you think to yourself "I'm done with this room", sit back and check if there could be something in that corner over there, or the other corner, etc. There's always something to improve.
07-03-2012, 06:09 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(07-03-2012, 06:09 AM)Statyk Wrote: I'm not trying to shut you down or put you down, but why do people release their first/testing maps? They never get much positive feedback and they're generally as bland as the others. Believe me, I've been through this stuff. But I used my first/test maps to test new models and mechanics. Then I used those models and mechanics in another campaign, and spent more time on THAT. A first/test map should never be released. And honestly, I know you're saying it's your first, but wouldn't that be more of a reason to produce something better? So people see it and go "wow!", you know? I mean... What rooms look like these? Size them down, they're way too large. If you condensed them, they would feel a bit more natural, you know?

I haven't played it because I never play anyone's first campaigns or troll maps. There's a reason this game is a horror genre. I play to get immersed and scared, not laugh. That's what games like Gmod are for.

Keep at it and spend lots of time on each room and when you think to yourself "I'm done with this room", sit back and check if there could be something in that corner over there, or the other corner, etc. There's always something to improve.
I suppose most people rush through for a sort of instant gratification. I remember how proud I was at my first map, and now I wouldn't even say its quality was high enough to count as a PDP map. Now though, I think my mapping is on par with FG in terms of detail. These things don't take any "talent", just time to familiarize oneself with the engine. This is why the more maps you make, the better they become.

The people who make these "troll" maps will eventually progress and become wonderful modders; it simply takes time. Eventually, they will learn from their mistakes, learn new techniques for applying resources and get inspiration from the original game, as well as other quality mods.

I rate it 3 memes.
07-03-2012, 06:27 AM
Find
TerrorsEnd Offline

(07-03-2012, 06:09 AM)Statyk Wrote: I'm not trying to shut you down or put you down, but why do people release their first/testing maps? They never get much positive feedback and they're generally as bland as the others. Believe me, I've been through this stuff. But I used my first/test maps to test new models and mechanics. Then I used those models and mechanics in another campaign, and spent more time on THAT. A first/test map should never be released. And honestly, I know you're saying it's your first, but wouldn't that be more of a reason to produce something better? So people see it and go "wow!", you know? I mean... What rooms look like these? Size them down, they're way too large. If you condensed them, they would feel a bit more natural, you know?

Thanks for the feedback, actually, the critics motivate me Smile

I've started a new custom story and even I am scared of it :O
On this one, it has creepy atmosphere, no trolls at all.
And I will spend a lot on this Smile

07-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Website Find
MaZiCUT Offline

Threads: 31

(07-01-2012, 04:06 PM)TerrorsEnd Wrote: Do you know that everyone can't a map that you like? Also it was my first CS ever made and I wanted to try a lot of stuff which are in the map.
Anyways, next map I make will be a lot more scarier, much much more scarier atmosphere, not troll, etc.
You'll see, you'll see.
There is no such excuse as "This is my first cs, blablabla" Allright? Just spend more time on perfecting rather than being "EA" and rushing things.

Hi.
07-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Website Find
tristanisms Offline

Threads: 1

I thought this map was fucking scary. Here is a video of me screaming:

07-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Find