Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The Ending [Reveled][Major Spoilers]
Thaliur Offline

Threads: 4
RE: The Ending [Reveled][Major Spoilers]

Doffy90 Wrote:One thing that confuses me is that in Overture Philip says that human nature sealed his downfall or something but in the end of Black Plague Philip accepts the aliens and that ISNT his downfall...
Remember what the Tuurngait said about human nature? That matches Philip's words exactly, and makes sense.

Megatron - proving that guns DO kill people since 1984
02-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30

i thought Philip betrayed them
02-29-2008, 04:10 AM
Find
Thaliur Offline

Jeremy-Bailey Wrote:i thought Philip betrayed them
He did, but if the humans had not attacked the Tuurngait all this would not have happened.

I just remembered that in the beginning of Black Plague Philip said something like "it was so human, so perfect". Maybe he was referring to his curiosity.

02-29-2008, 08:33 AM
Find
Doffy90 Offline

Threads: 10

God this is confusing.

In the end it seems that Philip finds out that the Tuurngait is nice and take sides with it and therefor tell us to kill some other caves or something (hence the coordinates). But now suddenly he betrayed them? How did he betray the Tuurngait? As I mentioned I think he sided with it and then it wouldnt be his downfall. Its very confusing.

PenumbrA

Pen = Pretty
Bra = Good

Norwegian version. :)
02-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Find
Klarden Offline

Threads: 3

Well, i liked the idea of "think yourself if it was true or not", because the final room was definitely not real in the full sense of "real"... It reminded me of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind a little - in a genius way of removing some objects from reality (or memory) one by one. What IS interesting to note is that the Hive Mind itself tells Phillip that in the end of the tests he may even has his revenge...
It also reminded me of the whole the Machines vs rogue Agent Smith idea from The Matrix (Reloaded and Revolutions) - Clarence was part of the Hive Mind, but went separated and started thinking differently, with own ambitions. Even the Hive Mind calls him "too human".
Also i still can't understand, why did the hive mind call Howard "too weak". Because he killed himself, or because he failed the tests...
03-02-2008, 03:41 AM
Website Find
Thaliur Offline

HamStar Wrote:Also i still can't understand, why did the hive mind call Howard "too weak". Because he killed himself, or because he failed the tests...
Maybe it was because he failed to do what he promised, and hid from the Tuurngait instead of sending that message. After all, Philip only got a message left behind by Howard in the event of his death.

03-02-2008, 03:51 AM
Find
Klarden Offline

Threads: 3

Yeah, it could be. I've already forgotten that Howard didn't send the message, and Phillip came to Greenland only of curiosity after reading the message that didn't say anything about the whole facility at all...
By the way it's interesting that Howard went to the Hive Mind to speak to him, while It came to Phillip itself.
I still wonder, how the story would unfold if there would be 3 episodes instead of 2... I mean, the story was too short for even 2 episodes (though it felt like a perfect short story written by some great writer, it still felt like a SHORT storySmile).
03-02-2008, 04:19 AM
Website Find
Thaliur Offline

HamStar Wrote:I still wonder, how the story would unfold if there would be 3 episodes instead of 2... I mean, the story was too short for even 2 episodes (though it felt like a perfect short story written by some great writer, it still felt like a SHORT storySmile).
Oh, I guess you could drag the story out to fit a three-episode game. I forgot who it was, but someone said that episode two might have ended when you find Howard. I think that'S a good guess, since it would make a pretty good cliffhanger. The moment when Clarence does his blackout trick might work too.

Or everything could have been shifted, and the second episode would have ended after you fled from Clarence, just before the Hive intervenes, with the part after Clarence' death being a whole new storyline, maybe entirely within the hive mind illusions, or the way to the mind itself.

Oh, and I think the reason why the Hive mind came to Philip instead of waiting for him might have been Clarence. The Hive mind said "There can not be one! There can only be us all!", and I could imagine that the Hive was somehow hunting for Clarence, and just took the opportunity to "chat" with Philip for a while, maybe it felt his connection to "Mankind Howard" in some way.

03-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Find
Dogar Offline

Threads: 2

The ending certainly was different, but I didn't really like it.

I mean...what the hell did Phillip do?!?! The Tuurngait clearly proved itself to be a benign, live and let live sorta virus. It was nice enough to let Philip live, and to trust him. It even took a few moments out of its day to teach him the merits of glorious Cosmic-Communism. All Philip had to do was destroy the Shelter and high tail it out of Greenland...why the hell did he betray the Tuurngait? The game did a really good job of making you empathize with Philip, but the twist in the ending made me think that he was a treacherous, murderous douchebag.
03-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

In the end Philip tells you to kill the Tuurngait virus, because killing it is alot safer than letting it live inprisoned as someone, one day, surely will find the Shelter once again.
Then again, attempting to kill it might let it loose... Sequel possibility.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
03-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Find