Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Should Penumbra continue?
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: Should Penumbra continue?

No, Amnesia is different. Partly because there is only one 'Amnesia' so far, and partly because of the way the title is formed. If it were just "Amnesia", it would come to represent Daniel, and "Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs" would sound more like an expansion than a new game. but because it is "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" it opens up possibilities for more "Amnesia" games by change what's after the ':' to something else. 'Amnesia' makes it an amnesia game, and the part after specifies which game it is. Unlike penumbra, which has Overture and Black Plague, but Black Plague was specified as a sequel, and it completed the story.

Edit: I just realized how little sense this makes.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2012, 06:56 PM by Damascus Rose.)
07-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

(07-06-2012, 06:40 PM)Sexbad Wrote: I agree. The story behind the organization is so vast and I think it could really use some in-game expansion. I just hope they get Tom Jubert back as writer if they ever decide to continue Penumbra in some way.
That would be great. In fact, I'd like them to work with Jubert again, even if it's not Penumbra related.

Stand for something
or
Fall for anything
07-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(07-04-2012, 08:32 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote: I don't remember the physics being bad in Amnesia, I remember hating them in Penumbra though. I thought the Amnesia physics were a real step in the right direction, so hopefully in HPL3 they will be even more realistic.
Yeah! Picking up a rock might pull a muscle, resulting in several minutes of "Ssss, ahhh. Ssss, ahhh. Ssss, ahhh." Grabbing a wooden board could give you a splinter, in which you need to make difficult, kinda game affecting decisions like "Should I suck on it, leave it in (possibly to get infected), or go five floors down to the infirmary?". Maybe when you're running from a monster you can randomly start taking damage either from breathing difficulty (that actually sounds like a good ide-Um, continue with misleading sarcasm!) or that you got a pebble in your shoe and have to remove it! (There we go!)
07-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

I think when you are running from a monster, a pebble in your shoe is the least of your worries. Anyway some of those things you mentioned sound more annoying even if they are realistic, like getting a splinter from picking up wood. I think we'd need a game that implements this to really know if this stuff works or not. But I like the idea of sounds when you carry something, maybe like quiet panting when you pick up and carry a heavy rock, which gets louder as you hold it, and eventually you have to put it down.

It always seems just like you're some machine that's able to pick up heavy objects at ease, and sprint as long as you want without getting tired in these games. Which IMO breaks realism to a degree.

07-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Find
BrooksyFC Offline

Threads: 11

I do hope they continue with it some time. A modern time horror needs to be done. Not sure where they are set the game, but I loved the puzzles and tasks involved with Penumbra. I still prefer it to Amnesia is some ways.

Think A Little, Change A Lot
07-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(07-08-2012, 07:02 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote: I think when you are running from a monster, a pebble in your shoe is the least of your worries. Anyway some of those things you mentioned sound more annoying even if they are realistic, like getting a splinter from picking up wood. I think we'd need a game that implements this to really know if this stuff works or not. But I like the idea of sounds when you carry something, maybe like quiet panting when you pick up and carry a heavy rock, which gets louder as you hold it, and eventually you have to put it down.

It always seems just like you're some machine that's able to pick up heavy objects at ease, and sprint as long as you want without getting tired in these games. Which IMO breaks realism to a degree.
Sarcasm my friend, sarcasm.
07-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Sarcasm doesn't work particularly well in text..

07-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

The physics of of picking things up or moving things in Amnesia are actually less realistic. Sure, in Penumbra it was more annoying, because larger and/or heavier things were more difficult to move around. Frictional Games wisely made the decision to simplfy the physics for the sake of gameplay.

Stand for something
or
Fall for anything
07-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Find
Insanity Offline

Threads: 0

How about importing the penumbra files into hpl editor 2 and save it as a amnesia full conversion.
How 'bout that?!?!
07-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

Penumbra should continue, with the brother of Philip. Searching for the happenings to the shelter and why his brohter dies.

Penumbra is a great game, even better than Amnesia. It would be a shame to let it stopped.
07-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Find